Old November 20, 2001, 19:04   #62
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 15:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
What's going on with your zoo city?

Euh,which one out of the 111cities are you talking about.

Shade
Old November 20, 2001, 23:48   #63
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
Quote:
Originally posted by shade

Euh,which one out of the 111cities are you talking about.

Shade
"zoo city" is a term for the one AI city allowed to stay alive while you go on with your own record attempt.
Old November 21, 2001, 06:45   #64
shade
King

I already know which one will be my "zoo city" but at the moment I still have to conquer 60 or so cities(still 5 civs alive and quite strong ) as I said before it's al going way to slow.
(100 000G cash would really help me out)

Shade
Old November 21, 2001, 11:46   #65
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
I already know which one will be my "zoo city" but at the moment I still have to conquer 60 or so cities(still 5 civs alive and quite strong ) as I said before it's al going way to slow.
(100 000G cash would really help me out)

Shade
You should have been at the "zoo city" stage after a day or two of play. Then you just micromanage the empire. What the heck are you doing??
Old November 21, 2001, 18:30   #66
shade
King

If you have hints to quintiple my shield-building/tradearrows and the possibility to build 50 cities(instead of 10 at monarchy) please let me know.
(also the restart civ is toggeled and the map is random(not premade)

Shade
Old November 21, 2001, 19:30   #67
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

1. Random map is fine.

2. Restart is a little harsh, but you are still better off ereadicating civs

3. You can make as many cities as you want. Just use martial law and temples and HG.
Old November 22, 2001, 06:43   #68
shade
King

Quote:
2. Restart is a little harsh, but you are still better off ereadicating civs
bare in mind that on a huge map you can't send an army in so easily(and there are better uses for the shields=>settlers,Soldiers for martial law,the necessary buidings(temple,library,aquaduct,sewer,factory,... )like I said quintipeling my shields would be a nice touch,building an engineer at 2 shield because 3 are taken by support is not funny)

Quote:
3. You can make as many cities as you want. Just use martial law and temples and HG.
well those are good for cities u to size 5 or 6(remeber that you start with a BLACK citizen)Oh and forget the tradearrows they all go to corruption.
What I actually need is a governement with the pros of Communism(3armies wo support / no #city limit/ wage war whenever I want) and democracy(extra trade/ happines=growth / unbribable)

Shade
Old November 22, 2001, 11:41   #69
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I think you are doing this the wrong way.

-Why huge map. I bet a normal map would be sufficiantly large.

-why build up all your cities like that? (now?) first ICS until you have 255 cities, then build them up.
Old November 22, 2001, 18:27   #70
shade
King

Quote:
-Why huge map. I bet a normal map would be sufficiantly large.
255cities of 21 squares=> 5355 squares
(255x25=6375)
normal map=>50x80=4000
also bare in mind that probably max 60% of squares are land(and you wont build in an mountain airea.
(and some more reasons)
also ICS works with small cities close to oneanother=>here it is the goal to give each city almost a max of territory(or sea)
Quote:
-why build up all your cities like that? (now?) first ICS until you have 255 cities, then build them up.
It has to be possible=> you need research to get com or demo
you need defence if you don't want to get run down by everyone else(remember Diety => AI builds units faster then you can kill them with an army)
my building queu is something like this:
build city
build defender
build settler
build defender/temple whatever because ppl get red fast

The only thing I can say: why not give it a shot yourself??(the conditions I use are in the first post)

Grtz
Shade
(any ideas for practical approaches to solve some of the problems now still are welcome)
Old November 22, 2001, 18:31   #71
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Stop building libraries. Do a modified ICS. Go fundamentalist via the SOL. Clear the world of the trash. Get your cities ready with marketplaces. Go democratic and just micromanage the whole thing from that point.
Old December 2, 2001, 18:26   #72
shade
King

back again
after a few weeks of studying(and playing Pharaoh ,yes I have been unfaithfull )I again played a few hours(=a few turns) my beloved civ2.
First and for all thx to GP.
I followed your advice and changed to Fundi(and there are a hole lot of things that aren't mentioned or correct in the manual about Fundi=> only 8 units free ,No corruption,and like stated only 50% of the trade can be used for science=> before this game I thought they meant you get your (science/2) but it means that you can't make your science rate higher then 50% that's a big difference )As soon as my civ was in disorder those bloody French sneake attacked me (Is there really no decency in this world??).I put my civ at 80%tax and started bribing Spanish cities as fast as possible(next one is their capital,so I can bribe the last half of their empire at low costs )
(I probably continue after them by taking over the Japanese and English)
At the moment I have 121 cities and 80.000.000ppl,anno 1899.
What amazed me was a barb attack
2 Dragoons(ADM:5/2/2)killed my 2 fortified Riflemen(ADM:5/4/1) like that was something they do every day??? (they definitely got my attention)

history and info-update will come soon.

Grtz
Shade
Old December 5, 2001, 04:53   #73
shade
King

Bye Bye Spain,I won't miss you.
And history keeps on going...

During the First Democratic age, the world got jealous of the Empire. It were mostly foreign politicians who wanted to see us destroyed, the global population would rather join us and live in the prosperity we now know as the Golden age of the Empire.
The first years of the GA most ppl of the Empire didn't mind the attacks of foreign politicians but since they kept going on and eventually ended up in sneak attacks from foreign forces, the mob got angry and demanded a new form of government so they could free the empire of those treads.
This revolt resulted in the foundation of the first Fanatic Empire in the world. Since now all imperial resources were combined cash kept flowing in, so rebel forces in foreign nations could be sponsored in ways that never had been done before.
In a period of less then 10 years the entire Spanish kingdom was converted only the Spanish Capital had to be taken by force.
As other countries saw there fears come to live, the Japanese and the English dared to sneak attack the Empire in an attempt to save their souls, but how wrong they were....

Shade

Last edited by shade; April 26, 2002 at 06:39.
Old December 5, 2001, 05:26   #74
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 06:46
Shade, the barb attack in your next-to-last post was not surprising if you know that the manual often misleads you. For example, the manual doesn't tell you that barbarians' attack (but not defense) factor is modified according to level of play. At deity, barbs attack at 1.5x strength. That balances out the fortification of your riflemen, so really the attackers had a 5-4 advantage.

Secondly, attacks are not calculated the way the manual says. Functionally, the actual calculation is (attack + (attack - defense)) versus defense. In this case, (5 + (5-4)) v. 4, or 6-4, which is a significant advantage. Manual notwithstanding, those barbs had a high expectation of winning.
Old December 6, 2001, 07:07   #75
shade
King

Auwch

do I have to bare the same things in mind when I'm attacking,let's say the french??
(ie in reverse??)

On the other hand it really had to be a strange view: barbs on horses,fireing muskets(wich had 50% chance of exploding in your face) and killing of 2 legions well trained and rested soldiers using the newest kind of guns(wich don't need to be reloaded each shot,and only explode 1/1000 000 times).Must really have been a strange view
(but I could bribe them back cheap and get Units instead )

One little question though "WHY DOES THE AI ALWAYS ATTACK SETTLERS AND ENGINEERS FIRST"are they afraid for millitary units???

Shade,king of bribery
Old December 8, 2001, 17:22   #76
debeest
Prince

The barbarian attack bonus (or penalty, at low play levels) applies only to barbs, and only when they're attacking -- not on defense.

The real formula for battle resolution, my second point above, applies across the board, so the advantage or disadvantage of any attacker or defender is actually greater than you would expect. Power inequalities are emphasized.

I suppose the AI always attacks settlers &engineers first for the same reasons that it attacks dips & spies and caravans & freights first -- they're easy targets, and they're usually much more valuable than military units.
Old December 8, 2001, 20:22   #77
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by debeest
I suppose the AI always attacks settlers &engineers first for the same reasons that it attacks dips & spies and caravans & freights first -- they're easy targets, and they're usually much more valuable than military units.
luckilly this isn't done so in real life(these days),whiping out civilians is still considered an atrocity.(I think I will implement this in my game,when I again start working on it,in 5-6months so little time===> killing settlers and engineers atrocity factor 1 if they're in their borders and factor 0.5 when in yours,caravans factor 0.75 not in your country, 0.3 when in your country(smuggling its an occupational hassard) ,spies/dips factor 0.5 when you never did a thing wrong(no stealling techs ,poisoning,bombing,bribing cities,...) down to 0 (when you didn't do anything else,global community then sees your dips/spies as millitary units wich are a tread) )

Japanese got bought up English are next.
(damn french are demo=> anybody any hints to get them back to some lower gov??(or do I just bomb some happiness stuff )

Shade
PS:this will stay a record attempt,but most probably won't become a record.(254% fundi so it will go up a little when back in demo but not enough before 2020)
Old December 13, 2001, 00:10   #78
Jaguar
C4DG Sarantium
Emperor

Local Time: 10:46
Bad shade! stay faithful to the one and only civ2!

Eschewing silly games since December 4, 2005
Old December 13, 2001, 04:48   #79
shade
King

I will never my civ2
I really this game

Shade
Old December 13, 2001, 05:23   #80
Smash
Emperor

you still at this?...you are nuts

just think of all the stuff you have learned for next time
Old December 13, 2001, 14:16   #81
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash
you still at this?...you are nuts

just think of all the stuff you have learned for next time
Yep still at this,and Yes I am nuts,It's my way of living
(I really like those christmas-smilies )

And there WILL be a next time(but probably not within the first 6 months,still have to finish this one,and I 'm going to squeeze everything humanly(and inhumaly)possible out of it )

Shade
Old December 15, 2001, 07:58   #82
shade
King

My way or the highway...
After the death of the Spanish kingdom, the Imperial wrath was focused on the Japanese (and partially on the English) Republic.
Because their politicians used the annexation of the Spanish Kingdom to place fear, for The Empire, in the harts of their ppl the costs of bribery became quite high. Also, the fake image they created caused the rise of many partisan rebellion groups when a city was taken. But in the end they all had to surrender (they just disappeared, as if the Hand of God had whipped them out of history, when their last city was taken .Many Imperians saw this as an Omen. They said it was the voice of God, which was telling that the Empire had a 'Holy Quest' to bring all ppl together under One nation. ) After the annexation of the Japanese Republic forces were directed towards the English Republic. Although they always claimed that 'The Empire' could not be trusted, it were almost always their troops who were violating new Imperial soil. An other difference with the Japanese Republic was tat their politicians were better word-weavers. ("Word-weavers": Imperial term: A person who can speak with such conviction that everyone believes him (even if it's not true))
This had a nasty side effect for our troops, every time a city was taken there was an enormous amount of partisans appearing near the city.
Luckily this didn't hold us back too much and by 1914 the remains of the English Republic were in chaos and therefore taken over by the Empire, to create order again in those cities.
After the annexation of Exeter the English Republic ceased to exist. Now it will be the Job of the Empire to clean up the mess the partisans made (the destroyed a lot of things).
After the annexation of Exeter all partisans again seem to have disappeared. Again there are Imperians saying this is an Omen, but unofficial sources say they retreated to the Democratic state of France.
Since this can't be backed by a decent proof, The Empire can't just attack the Democratic State of France.

This is were the English/Japanese vs. Empire war ends.
[Note: always bare in mind that these are translations of ancient Imperial texts, and therefore some words are translated not entirely as it was written originally. e.g. the word God didn't exist in the Imperial Language, they spoke of "The One Who Created Everything And All, He Who Lives and Judges At The End Of All Life, He Who Is And Isn’t, Will Be And Always Has Been"(It's a lot shorter in the Imperial language but since they use a different alphabet it's impossible to write it down here.)]

The current score would place me at NR 41 in the Hall of Fame.

Shade

Last edited by shade; April 26, 2002 at 06:49.
Old December 15, 2001, 08:50   #83
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 16:46
Re: My way or the highway...
Quote:
the current score would place me at NR 41 in the Hall of Fame.
The only way is up then!

Carolus
Old December 18, 2001, 12:45   #84
shade
King

Liberté,Égalité et Fraternité.

(English translation for who needs it:
Freedom,Equality and Brotherhood)

As you might already suspect the French civilization has been destroyed and their territory and cities have been annexated.

After the annexation of both the Japanese and English Republic troops were send to the evil democratic empire of France. Although their civ was always rated number 2 on Worldscale, their land is totally retarded, few roads and railroads and barely enough irrigation. After the capture of the city of Brest their Democracy collapsed as a house made of carts.
But evil as they were they changed their government to Fundi .
The next few years can be described as Hunting down and conquering 2 capitals and bribing the hell out of the other cities.
The entire war took 6 years (only because there was no unit close enough to take over the last city a turn sooner).
When all this was finished the Empire could start rebuilding itself and clean up the mess the other nations left. Because now all treads had been annihilated the ppl asked for a new Democratic Government. Celebrations and feasts were held everywhere and population boomed (from 130M to over 200M in only 7 years).
While this kept going on research went up again, over 200 engineers work day and night to build a better world and the last few years clean up the huge amount of pollution. There are also some military units cleaning up hundreds of old fortresses, which the enemy left behind.

Now the Imperial Hegemony is almost complete. Only the city-state of Delphi remains. Hopefully they will appoint a new ruler soon because the one at the moment seems to be blind, deaf and stupid. Look at one of the things he said in the last diplomatic contact.
"Your civilization makes us laugh. We agree not to crush you in return for the secret of conscription."
How foolish can one man be???
Only 1 little city-state with probably no more then 10 units versus an Empire of over 180 cities and an army so big it wouldn't even notice it if it crushed their city-state accidentally.

Here ends an other part of history.

Shade
PS: little Question to Rah,Ming or whoever did something similar, is it normal that in a democracy with so many cities natural unhappiness is so huge???
E.g. no lux gives me only 5 or 6 cities not revolting and I see an enormous amount of BLACK (jep not red) faces. Also a single entertainer can change let’s say 5 red +1 black (this is at 30 or 40%lux) change to 2 happy +3 content and 1 red??
(This is petrifying)

Last edited by shade; April 26, 2002 at 06:56.
Old December 18, 2001, 16:41   #85
moi
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:46
Re: back again
Quote:
I followed your advice and changed to Fundi(and there are a hole lot of things that aren't mentioned or correct in the manual about Fundi=> only 8 units free ,No corruption,and like stated only 50% of the trade can be used for science=> before this game I thought they meant you get your (science/2) but it means that you can't make your science rate higher then 50%
no no no no, fundy means BOTH you cannot set a rate higher than 50% AND your research is halved
Old December 18, 2001, 18:41   #86
shade
King

Well at the moment this ain't a problem anymore since I'll never have to go back to Fundi.

LONG LIVE DEMOCRACY

Shade
(almost 600% and rising )
Old December 21, 2001, 18:47   #87
shade
King

new update
Voila made a new update to the Historiae.

Hope you all liked the story up until now.(even in the horrible English,where mare's get slaughtered during revolution )
But I have some bad news.Due to my coming exams there will be no time for playing,so the next update will not be till somewhere mid February. (Although I rather like to play)

At the moment all seems quite "good" ,despite the 15-20 pollutionskulls popping up each turn.I have almost doubled my personal highscore(some 322%,not much I know),but chances to reach the highscore in the HOF is quite slim.(only some 90 turns left and still over 70 cities to found).
But pulling this all up to a decent level will be a quest I 'll face next year

current state looks like this:
*Modern age
*Democracy
*30%LUX
*1tech/turn
*still some 270 techs
*still some 70 cities to found
*only other civ is nuts(only one city and bullying me )
*hell of a lot pollution
*268.990.000ppl( little more than Belgium )
*611% ( still 1400 to go )

Shade
Old December 21, 2001, 21:09   #88
Smash
Emperor

well...you're still in the "easy" part.

real fun starts with food freights.....
Old January 8, 2002, 07:22   #89
shade
King

Quote:
real fun starts with food freights.....
I'd really enjoy this part but I still have to do so much,upgrading my cities to something usable,discover like 300 techs(includes the future techs),build some 70 cities,improve the retarded countryside the French/English/Japanese left me ,clean up the enormous amount of pollution,...
=> quintiple my tradearrows would be nice(also the number of engineers quintipled would be nice but sadly enough I have no magic rod )

THE EMPERIAN HISTORY WILL CONTINUE

Shade
(btw is it me or are there a lot less ppl on these fora since new year??)
Old January 8, 2002, 16:28   #90
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

----------------------------------
btw is it me or are there a lot less ppl on these fora since new year??
----------------------------------
That's what they called 'graveyard'. Some people moved their discussion topics to civfanatics due to the server problem happend here last week.

I'm also interested in scoring but it is just too time consuming. Therefore I'm working on a utility project which can let me perform city management function directly from memory. It can save a lot of city management time. Once that is done I may try to break some records myself. Now however I can only play some Cic scenarios and try to break records there.