Old March 30, 2002, 07:56   #121
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 15:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by steelehc
How goes America, shade? Or did you finally give up? If not, go for it, I'm curious to see what happens.
Steele
Very very slowly...turn are taking longer and longer since I can spend more and more money on rushbuild(at this moment I use something like 30.000G/turn)In a few turns next decade will be finished and then a history-update will come.
Give up me??NO WAY.This moment I'm at 975% and still have >50 turns left.(the only thing that really buggs me are the beakercosts--> next time I do this I'll be purple(India/sioux/mongol).

Shade
Old March 30, 2002, 12:01   #122
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

_Next_ time? The thread title is no lie.
Old March 31, 2002, 10:23   #123
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
_Next_ time? The thread title is no lie.
What just happened to me,will make this happen pretty soon.
my science costs just went up from 52->55->90 beakers/tech and I only gained 1 new tech in those 2 turns.
costs to get the next tech are now ~10.000 beakers

this really makes me to want to start all over again...I think I'll rush the spaceship and land on AC...so If you see a new thread appearing you know what has happened.

all was going so well I even saw the possibility to get almost all future techs( just because it looked possible to get 6,7 tech/turn)

I think I'll wait before I do something stupid till I get some info on the thread I posted about this sciencecosts.Science beaker catastrophy

on the image you see my current stats on costs and income and sciencebeakers

Shade
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	whaat.gif
Views:	184
Size:	4.1 KB
ID:	12275  
Old April 21, 2002, 18:42   #124
shade
King

Time for some new history
[Little side note]
After the rather depressing discovery of the humongous increase in science costs I had kind of a breakdown, just wanted to throw the damn thing out of the window (pc included ). But after a few days of chilling down and some helpful words from here I saw the light .thx to all
[/little side note]

Let the beginning of a new era begin
The year is 1958 and the new Imperial government has decided to let go of the research development. All scientists get a conversion course to become highly trained taxmen. Only on the central Island the scientists are allowed to continue their research (providing almost 1000beakers/turn) and they are allowed enormous grants paid from trade money to complete their research item each and every year.
This redirection of resources created an annual tax income of >20.000G.
Time passes by and 2 years later the first great project is finished:
Los Angeles builds the "Apollo program" in which brave men get launched into space with giant missiles. They even succeed in returning back to earth alive and they bring photos of our entire planet.
Seeing how well all this went and seeing the joy in the eyes of scientists, astronauts (this is how the survivors of the space trip where called,except by those ppl who kept calling them astronuts) taxmen and ordinary citizens the Imperial government decided to embark on an even greater mission then the Apollo program:” We would build the first spaceship that would bring 40.000 colonists alive and well through the vastness of space to a neighbouring solar system called Alpha Centauri.
This was the year 1960AD

The year 1961AD was also a very glorious one.
The puny Indian civilization had send forth a transport ship (they managed to build through the never ending science support from our scientists(Indian scientists: our scientists come to rescue: Indian scientists afterward: ) and when their crew saw how advanced our civilization really was (and the huge amount of money we offered them ) they swiftly decided to never return home and come to work in service of our glorious empire.
An other important event was the construction of our 200th city named Osmium (after the atom ). This was such an event that trade markets had the best day in the last 100 years and the trade caravan from Hamburg that arrived in Washington on exactly the same day supplying much needed oil gave a record trade bonus of 2091G.
It was a most beneficial day.

KABOEEEEM
This was the sound over 1.000.000 people heard on an early morning in April 1962 in and around the old Russian city of Smolensk. It was accompanied by a flash of light, bright as a thousand suns and when they looked out over the Russian sea the could see a mushroom cloud rising toward the sun as a phoenix, born out of the radioactive ashes of the first nuclear bomb ever made.
The Imperial Government had completed their second objective the "Manhattan project" was finished, and the most powerful and most dangerous weapon one could ever imagine was created. Many feared that if this weapon was ever used it would result in Armageddon, the end of time. Under the pressure of the global imperial population the military announced never to use such a weapon. (But everybody suspects the military to have some of those horrific weapons in their weapons depots although it has never been proved yet.)

Despicable
In the year 1963 our foreign reputation improved to "Despicable"...the lies of our old (and now long gone) enemies still seem to carry weight...
Our statistics department did a new population count; this count revealed that there are now over 500.000.000 people living in this empire.

The Science Depression
The year 1964 will always be remembered as the year of the great science-depression. Suddenly, without any real reason the scientific progress took twice the efforts it needed before. The old scientists said it was just the younger scientists being too lazy to work. To counter this depressing feeling, which had the entire empire under its influence the imperial government, announced that the great space project would start as soon as possible: "The empire would build the first interstellar colonization ship." It would carry 40.000 souls to one of the planets orbiting Alpha Centauri, a nearby star. The first components of the ship where launched in December of that year.
The following 4 years more pieces where launched into space and the enormous ship was assembled in high orbit around the earth itself. On cloudless nights you could see it moving through the sky, shinning down as a bright star. In the year 1968 the last structural piece of the spaceship was added. It was finished...except for some minor details...people needed to live there and there were no chairs, tables or any other furniture. The internal decoration and computer systems still needed to be done...

Here ends an other decade.

Shade

Last edited by shade; April 26, 2002 at 05:27.
Old April 22, 2002, 08:39   #125
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
You amaze me
I just read this entire thread and I am amazed, your powers to combat boredom are huge, you are a GOD, I bow down to your greatness.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old April 22, 2002, 10:00   #126
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 09:46
Especially since he's not going to come anywhere near the points record.

And now he can properly appreciate why not many point record runs are made anymore.

RAH
Old April 22, 2002, 11:41   #127
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Especially since he's not going to come anywhere near the points record.
I'm not really sure of that...if I can keep the same score improvement each turn like now it might be quite close...I'm now at 1098% I thought,the year is 1969=>~50 turns left.
At this moment I have 60 cities building caravans and >20 or so on capitalisation and like 10->15 cities builing 1 engineer/turn to rush new cities from 0->8 in 2 to 3 turns...there is still opportunitie for ~50 cities and I think less then 50% of them(the 205 wich are already there )are at max size(need more terrainchange(plains-->grassland) and improvements.
tax-income just went of scale(didn't take a look yet but it's a nice prediction,previous turn it was around 31.000G/turn)at 70% tax and my caravans are enough for 1tech/turn...
But I've learned a lot about what I have to think of first when going on such a crussade.
(the history part in the previous post needs some appending because I had to stop-->1am and school bad combo )

Quote:
And now he can properly appreciate why not many point record runs are made anymore.

RAH
Believe me,I truely can appreciate such a thing and I still bow for all those achievements...but I promise to get there sooner(ie now maybe,but I doubt it although it might be close)or later(ie the next time,(ab)using all I learned)

Shade(I'll continue the history this evening)
Old April 22, 2002, 13:31   #128
rah
lifer
Just another peon

"I'm not really sure of that...if I can keep the same score improvement each turn like now it might be quite close..."

If you're not already at near the max number of cities, you'll be hard pressed. The most tedious phase is yet to come. (food caravans)

RAH We salute you.
Old April 22, 2002, 17:23   #129
shade
King

Quote:
If you're not already at near the max number of cities, you'll be hard pressed. The most tedious phase is yet to come. (food caravans)

RAH We salute you.
the foodcaravans are only for one(and in the future 2 or 3 small continents)

I had written a nice piece to append to the last history post...I added some smilies and hit "save changes"--> msg "to much images-> go back" when I go back everything I added is gone I'll try again tomorow or thursday....

Shade
Old April 23, 2002, 01:53   #130
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

I have to agree with Rah on this one. No Chance.
Heck, I quit at about your point in the game because I got bored.
Max Cities... and max pop in most of them via 500 years of food caravans.

Good luck
Old April 25, 2002, 18:36   #131
shade
King

hehe a new piece of history is added(third time seems to be the charm...I dragged it through a spelling-corrector... Phew got through all history posts, a few thousand spaces are added)

In my run through the entire thread I again saw the posts of Julius...I wonder how his game went?

(current score is 1118% and the year is 1970)

Shade

Last edited by shade; April 26, 2002 at 07:39.
Old April 26, 2002, 08:49   #132
DrSpike
Deity

IIRC you played on a large map. Next time a standard map?
Old April 26, 2002, 13:40   #133
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
IIRC you played on a large map. Next time a standard map?
no way...absolutly not enough space.

Shade
Old April 30, 2002, 07:21   #134
MrWhereItsAt
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy GamePtWDG RoleplayAlpha Centauri PBEMSpanish CiversCall to Power Democracy GameCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontPtWDG2 Latin LoversACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessCivilization III PBEMC3C IDG: Apolyton TeamACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG3 GaiansC3CDG The Lost BoysCivilization III Democracy GameInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
Deity

Local Time: 02:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
So... how's it going now, oh mighty Trade Advisor?

Back to the ROOTS of addiction. My first missed poll!
Old April 30, 2002, 17:57   #135
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by MrWhereItsAt
So... how's it going now, oh mighty Trade Advisor?
A little better then the Demogame.

Although I might get a small depression when I see our cash/science flow after I played a turn in this game.

>25.000G and >11.000 beakers /turn ---> 32G and 80 beakers

maybe a nice goal would be to try to boost that to triple,or so ...slavelabor...egyptian slaves build the piramids...

Shade
Old May 3, 2002, 18:35   #136
shade
King

little techboost
Who can get techs faster then this??

1 tech per (-1) turn

(damn I can't post a picture of that...it says something about beeing unable to find server )

Last edited by shade; May 3, 2002 at 18:58.
Old May 22, 2002, 16:49   #137
shade
King

After the crazy tech report above, I finnaly succeeded to post a screenshot( it's not -1turns/techs but 0 turns/tech I got in this screenshot)

Ok I seem to have bumped into a little problem:
THE COMPUTER DOESN'T COUNT MY SCIENCE-BEAKERS ANYMORE
Ok at this moment the science-cost is some 13058beakers/tech. I've put my science rate over 27000 beakers(to get 3techs/turn).
I have now 40 future techs and the previous turn I had a little miscalculation and ended with just a few beakers short for the next tech, during the turn I had some caravans running arround and this gave me a little over 20.000G so normally the moment I hit enter I should have seen the popup telling me I had just discovered Future Tech 41...but nothing happened(the entire management-period through...then >27000beakers later the new turn starts and what do I see in the screen of my science-advisor???
NOTHING
(like in 0 beakers)
This wasn't the worst it could get...When I delivered some trade-caravans(for the amount of ~1500G) nothing changed ...No new science-beakers.

As you can see this is kind-off a problem...and I have no clue what the problem might be.(hopefully it gets solved when I play again,and it's just a temporal slipup.)

Shade
Attached Thumbnails:

Name:	naamloos.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	7.1 KB
ID:	15954  

Last edited by shade; May 22, 2002 at 17:01.
Old May 25, 2002, 17:45   #138
shade
King

a decade of overflow
After the science-depression on the end of the previous decade new efforts were taken to improve the scientific evolution of the empire.To do this 50% of the taxmen were converted to scientists and 30% of the trade-income directly went to scienctific development.
In the year 1970AD a group of immigrants from India decided to become citizens of the empire(although it took >4000G to convince them most ppl think it was worth it...those immigrants are known as the NON).

In 1972 something terrible happend; a group of guerrila fighters out of the mountains near Zink attacked a caravan on it's way to Paris.They killed everybody in the convoy and destroyed the roads.
This was an act that could not be tollerated by anyone so they were destroyed for this act of agression.
Because of this new possible tread to the Imperial society the government decided to upgrade the entire army and give the millitary some brand new stealth fighters so they can reach far-away uprisings eassily.

In 1973 the historial Gibbon completes his epic history and tell's that the empire is the most powerfull civ in the world.
This good news caused 2 new traderecords in the year 1974:
2358G for a Uraniumshipment and just a few days later 2390G for an other Uraniumshipment.
Also a new uprise of infidel citizens was reported near Tantalium.
Some say these uprisings are because of the hard way of life in those airea's.
In 1975 a new group of Indian immigrants decides to join our glorious empire.

science keeps on going very well, it even went so good in the year 1975 that our scientists had a breakdown and forgot everything they had done that year ...luckilly we could figure out what had gone wrong so this wouldn't happen anymore in the future.

The sciencerate was increased again=> all taxmen were converted to scientists.
An other uprising near Zink was contained swiftly with one of the newly build stealth fighters,although it took some time before the pilot was able to find his invisible plane, but after that all went well.The second partisan of this uprise was accidentally killed by a patrolling tank...the soldiers in the tank hadn't seen the partisans crossing the road and they just ran them over...it wasn't a pretty sight,but all was cleaned up quick enough so nobody of the press ever saw it.

In 1977 a group of Indian marines was convinced to join our army.

To increase the speed of terrain-improving ,136 new engineers were recruited...now they are improving the bigg continent.

So far a new decade of history.

some numbers
current population: 682.610.000ppl
current score: 9423pts = 1224%
trade= way of scale => 30%lux 20%tax=~11.000G 50%science=~30.000beakers
costs=~9500G
#cities=212

Shade
Old May 26, 2002, 02:54   #139
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Keep it up.
Don't let the brainnumbing pain get to you.
RAH
Old May 29, 2002, 00:05   #140
Phat_Phal
Settler

Local Time: 14:46
why don't you build the space ship and then take over the world, not that I know what I'm talking about with the score calculations but I thought you got more points for killing everyone
Old May 29, 2002, 00:51   #141
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
shade,

do you have the AI reduced to a zoo city yet?
Old May 29, 2002, 06:29   #142
shade
King

GP: the Indians are a single city (size 6) empire.

Phat_Phal:The spaceship is finnished and will be launched at the appropriate time(NOT NOW)

The problem is that the French,Japanese and English left me a joke instead of cities and improvements...I'm still trying to fix all that up.

btw I still need some 5000 points(for my goal) and the spaceship only gives 400(killing those indians ould be even less)

Shade
Old May 29, 2002, 07:28   #143
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Are you max cities yet? Isn't population the key score vector. Shouldn't you just concentrate on food?
Old May 29, 2002, 07:39   #144
Scouse Gits
lifer
Civilization II PBEMTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization II Succession Games
Emperor

Local Time: 14:46
Sounds like you are reaching the final stages (of boredom?) could you post a save game so that those of us with not a fraction of your patience could see what a high score game looks like?

If there are a zillion posts on earlier pages just call me an old fart and I'll get the lead out and look back a bit ...

SG[1]
Old May 29, 2002, 09:46   #145
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Yes, by now, population should be everything. Food Caravans, celebrating for the new cities. AND MOST OF ALL BOREDOM.

I finally lost patience when I topped ming's score, and should have played longer to make it tougher on him. But I couldn't, I just launched to end the PAIN>

RAH
Old May 30, 2002, 17:45   #146
shade
King

GP I'm at 212 cities...so I can still squeeze in ~40

The problem is the enormous amount of plains I need to convert...
(something the AI never did was getting terrain-improvements...roads over ~50% of it's tarrain in best case...)

I'll post a sav...next time I play(but have some patience...my exams start monday and go on till 26 june so it might be a while...but I'll post it)

About this Game itself my guess is that I might be able to pump in some 4000 points(minimum)...but I'm not going to start a mass-food-caravanscheme anymore(I have 4 smal islands doing this...wich is enough this time)...
Population is the most important thing now(+my 3tech/turn + spaceship) but to make it grow I need a lot more terrain-improvements...only some 20 cities left who are rushbuilding , ~80 building caravans and then rest is upgrading the army(I know this is usless for the game but sometimes I have the impression that building something makes a tradeobject back available-> that's what I need) and capitalizing.
4 major things I get to trade are : Dye,Hides,Gold,Salt
4 things NO-ONE wants : Dye,Hides,Gold,Salt
(and the cities that want Dye are just facked by the computer )

there will most probably be a next time,but before I start that one I will do some serious research (science-routes to take, an efficient rushbuild protocol,...)

Shade
Old May 30, 2002, 21:06   #147
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Shade, you oughta lay down the extra cities, ASAP. You can terrain modify later.
Old May 30, 2002, 21:10   #148
DrSpike
Deity

Yeah, I'm not insane enough to try this so this isn't a considered opinion, but I would have thought getting to the max number of cities asap would be a good idea. The late game should be about terraforming and building them up.
Old June 11, 2002, 15:58   #149
shade
King

for the special requests...here is a save of the year 1981...just founded 5 new cities.

Shade
Attached Files:
File Type: zip recatt.zip (43.2 KB, 3 views)
Old June 11, 2002, 16:03   #150
shade
King

en een mapje van de wereld.

x markes the ZOO

The red-islandparts are 100% improved
the purple ones still need some work...ahem
Attached Thumbnails: