Old June 11, 2002, 17:39   #151
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 04:46
Local Date: October 31, 2010
How many cities are down? Better to lay down cities and than improve versus improving prior to laying down city. (The reason is that you leave a square unworked if you develop the city prior to founding it.)
Old June 11, 2002, 17:50   #152
shade
Civilization II Democracy Game
King

Local Time: 15:46
Quote:
Originally posted by GP
How many cities are down? Better to lay down cities and than improve versus improving prior to laying down city. (The reason is that you leave a square unworked if you develop the city prior to founding it.)
hehe that I know...I've already played some civ-games in the past

1)I'm only improving citysquares that are in a radius of a city
2)this is for most of those cities the only way to make them grow further(cfr the posted sav)

Could someone tell me how where(or who can give the info himself) I can find correct info on how long it takes an engineer to perform a certain task(Civilopedia isn't really clear at all)+ the effect of multiple engineers working on 1 task on one square.
(as far as I know you have only the effect of 2 engineers combined=> doubles the normal speed of completing a task).

I'm especially interested in the time it takes to transform
plain-> grasland
tundra->desert->plain->grasland
mountain->hill

at this moment my last 2 cities were Uranium238( ) and Neptunium(yep I'm almost through all the named ellements of the PS) ...these are city #216 and #217.

Shade
Old June 11, 2002, 22:02   #153
debeest
Prince

Local Time: 06:46
Look at Gastrifitis' post on engineers and settlers. There's a link in the GL, if it's still working. It will answer your question comprehensively. With regard to combining engineers on a single space, ?Xin Yu? provided a detailed explanation of how to get them all working; I hope Gastrifitis' post includes that explanation or a link.
Old June 12, 2002, 03:08   #154
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

how many cities do you have?
Old June 12, 2002, 05:00   #155
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
how many cities do you have?
(cfr the save at the one but last post on page 6)

thx Debeest,I'm now printing a list with numbers
damn 10 turns for an engineer to change plains to grasland

Shade
Old June 12, 2002, 13:46   #156
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Sometimes you act like someone who doesn't know that much about civ games. Why don't you have all your city sites founded?
Old June 12, 2002, 16:57   #157
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Sometimes you act like someone who doesn't know that much about civ games. Why don't you have all your city sites founded?

* other priorities...(knowing the territory I conquered was worth .... and the enormous amounts of polution I had to battle)
* have you taken a look at the map?plains and forests aren't places where you found cities that growing potential ...
* it took me to long to get commy(getting massive cities under other govt's isn't pretty,happiness speaking)...
* only 4-5 turns ago the massive micromanaging got less( now only ~30 cities building improvements(not 150 like 10 turns before))

I really suggest taking a look at the save...guess you'll see why.

Shade
Old June 12, 2002, 19:24   #158
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Shah-day. YOu didn't even know what a zoo city was. You took forever to conquer the AI. You STILL don't have all your cities, down. Come on!!!
Old June 12, 2002, 20:19   #159
DrSpike
Civilization IV: MultiplayerApolyton University
Deity

Give the guy a break. I don't see anyone else volunteering for this madness.
Old June 12, 2002, 21:41   #160
TCO
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

I gave him a break...I waited a while to sound off.
Old June 13, 2002, 05:00   #161
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by GP
Shah-day. YOu didn't even know what a zoo city was.
Let's see it was the first time I even saw this on this forum...Yeah sure I would know what it meant.

Quote:
You took forever to conquer the AI. You STILL don't have all your cities, down. Come on!!!
lets see:
*I'm used to play peacefull and keep my cives alive as long as possible(so I have some opposition)
*I had some fainth memories of the AI actually develloping it's territory==>less cities I have to build,terrain I have to develop...
*getting down all your cities...ahum this isn't an ICS game ergo you need space so your cities develop on their own.
and that forever to conquer the AI
Rusia got bribed from 1620AD to 1884AD. (18cities taken)
Spain got bribed from 1889AD to 1900AD (10 cities)
Japanese got bribed from 1900AD to 1907AD (21 cities)
English got bribed from 1902AD to 1914AD (17 cities)
French get bribed from 1915AD to 1920AD (20 cities)
--> this are 86 cities and my best guess is that at least 75 got bribed(didn't want to count them now)

oh maybe I never said this before but this is something like the first time I go for a game to max out my score...

current score 9788pts
Shade

Last edited by shade; June 13, 2002 at 06:42.
Old June 13, 2002, 06:24   #162
Hydey
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think you have done very well and look forward to see how big your score gets.

Hydey the no-limits man. :(
Old June 13, 2002, 09:33   #163
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 09:46
Yeah, point wise you're about half way there.
Unfortunately it seems you'll have to do it again taking advantage of what you've learned this time to hit one of the record type scores, unless you have way more time left than I think. But for a first time, you've hung in there pretty good I had to do it a few times before I figured out the best way.

You were warned many times about the mind numbing pain.

RAH
Old June 13, 2002, 09:58   #164
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Yeah, point wise you're about half way there.
Unfortunately it seems you'll have to do it again taking advantage of what you've learned this time to hit one of the record type scores, unless you have way more time left than I think. But for a first time, you've hung in there pretty good I had to do it a few times before I figured out the best way.

You were warned many times about the mind numbing pain.

RAH
thx,I know.
I have learned a hole lot of things I never had to care about when playing a normal game(there time isn't such an issue ).
Point wise I think I've already quadrupled(or even quintipled) my previous highscores , and with some 35 turns left I hope that it's possible to get in the HoF top 10.
The mindnumming pain just started to get less(less micramanagement)...
Up to the second run after this one .

Shade
Old June 13, 2002, 10:30   #165
rah
lifer
Just another peon

35 turns, Not very much time to work the food caravan trick, especially if all your cities aren't down yet. If you think city maint is painful......food caravans are much worse.

I haven't checked over there in a long time, what do you need to get into the top 10. Last time I checked, Ming and my score would have been 2 and 3. Ming could have scored higher, but once he got a thousand or so better than my score, there was no incentive to continue the pain. The number 1 score was still over a year away from being done. Somehow, I doubt either of us will ever make another attempt.

Good luck.

RAH
Old June 13, 2002, 10:44   #166
DrSpike
Deity

That was freaky, I was just posting to ask how good your scores were compared to the CF HOF ones. I looked the other day, the best is 26,000 or so.
Old June 13, 2002, 11:04   #167
rah
lifer
Just another peon

What was #2?
Old June 13, 2002, 11:08   #168
DrSpike
Deity

Hehe, I still have the page open in my browser.........we love you opera. It's 16,706. 3rd is 15,500.

Getting tempted Rah?
Old June 13, 2002, 11:13   #169
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:46
I'd have to say you've wasted much effort on railroading grasslands. Only necessary to serve as a trade connection. Which speaking of, even your home island doesn't have rail connection boosted trade routes, eg., between Wash[1] and NY[1], not even a road connection.

Fundamentals, man, fundamentals!

Not that I intend to try to do better… I'm not that nuts.
Old June 13, 2002, 11:56   #170
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Originally posted by DrSpike
Hehe, I still have the page open in my browser.........we love you opera. It's 16,706. 3rd is 15,500.

Getting tempted Rah?
Based on that, I believe Ming was in the high 18k something range and I was about 1000 to 1500 hundred behind so we would still rank 2nd and 3rd.
Both of us launched early due to extreme pain.

NEVER EVER AGAIN. You must remember that we leapfroged each others score a few times to get to that level, so we must have done 3 or 4 attempts each. I gave up after the last time because it took extensive food caravans. (which is the most mind numbing, moving minimum 250 a turn) ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG

And Straybow, at some point, when going for score records, you have so much money that If you already have the max possible happy people in a city, extra or more maxed trade routes are meaningless and just add additional drudgery.

RAH
Old June 13, 2002, 12:30   #171
DrSpike
Deity

To be fair if you or Ming launched early you could just carry on the game from the last save before you launched.
Old June 13, 2002, 12:47   #172
shade
King

Quote:
35 turns, Not very much time to work the food caravan trick, especially if all your cities aren't down yet. If you think city maint is painful......food caravans are much worse.
I already decided quite some time ago that I wouldn't do this caravantrick for the entire empire only ~30 cities or so are on it now.

Quote:
I haven't checked over there in a long time, what do you need to get into the top 10. Last time I checked, Ming and my score would have been 2 and 3.
Hall of Fame on Apolyton
the top 10:
[list=1][*]17277pts[*]17274pts[*]15396pts[*]15782pts(never mind this is what the list says )[*]14854pts[*]14586pts[*]14294pts[*]14221pts[*]13815pts[*]12543pts[/list=1]
moi: 9900pts

Quote:
I'd have to say you've wasted much effort on railroading grasslands. Only necessary to serve as a trade connection. Which speaking of, even your home island doesn't have rail connection boosted trade routes, eg., between Wash[1] and NY[1], not even a road connection.
WTF....
Grumble, you must be kidding me,I thought that for those traderoutes it was enough to have your entire city-radius RR-ed...computerlogic
those RR are for swift polutioncleaning and the Go-to command...

Quote:
Not that I intend to try to do better… I'm not that nuts.
who said you have to be normal...
(on the other hand I might be nice if some ppl did such an insane attack on those Highscores in the HoF here and beat even those from the CF HoF )

Quote:
(which is the most mind numbing, moving minimum 250 a turn) ARRRGGGGGGGGGGGGG
I would rather think it's the partial buying of those caravans (I can't imagine ~200 cities with at least 50 shield/turn free)...but the moving is a little nightmare to...the computer always shifts you to the other end of the planet when you deliver a caravan and you intend to move the next caravan in your chain...grumble.

*goes to play another turn*
Shade
Old June 13, 2002, 13:33   #173
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Quote:
To be fair if you or Ming launched early you could just carry on the game from the last save before you launched.
Nahhhh... that was many years and many computers ago. We were playing against each other... once we showed each other the final score, we saw no reason to actually save the game for any reason.

Plus... as Rah so accurately points out. I DIDN'T WANT TO PLAY IT ANYMORE... IT WAS SOOOOOOOOO boring.
Buying up all the caravans every turn... Moving them every turn (even with rails and goto commands, we all know just "how good" the goto command is in Civ II)...

The record is meaningful only in that it proves you have the patience of a saint... I knew rah wouldn't try again, so once I was significantly past him... that's all I cared about. I knew he would never try again... and the same goes for me. Anybody with reasonable skill and many months to spare can beat the record.

I do remember mine was somewhere around 18,700.
With the turns I had left, I knew I could pass 20,000... but there was no way I was going to torture myself anymore.
Old June 13, 2002, 13:40   #174
rah
lifer
Just another peon

Quote:
Those games are old, forgotten and lost. Previous versions also. There was no reason to save them. They had only one purpose that was already accomplished. BRAGGING THAT YOU BEAT YOUR BROGHER TO YOUR BROTHER. No one else's thoughts were ever considered. In fact we didn't even check up on each other a few times (checking saves) since our word was always good between us.

RAH
Damn, he beat me to it by a few minutes again.
But were not competitive
Old June 13, 2002, 13:49   #175
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 06:46
Yes it was boring. That's why I'm working on my utility program to improve game play (manage multiple cities at the same time). After this is done I'll try to set up way points on the map so a unit can automatically goto somewhere once they get to the way points.

I stopped for a while since I have another game to finish. Now that is done and I'm back to my program.
Old June 13, 2002, 16:12   #176
shade
King

temporal insanity
The computer is losing it

a little contest for those who want to try:
2 cities fully equiped(airport,market,...the whole 9 yards)
Seville has coordinates(23,107)21
Kyoto has coordinates(48,44)7
Seville send copper-caravan to Kyoto(Kyoto requests copper)...
all citysquares are RR
the year is 1983
Seville has 98 arrows,Kyoto has 103 arrows...
Now the riddle what is the trade-bonus(gold)

Shade

Last edited by shade; June 14, 2002 at 09:40.
Old June 13, 2002, 16:45   #177
rah
lifer
Just another peon

201 measly dollars.
Old June 13, 2002, 16:54   #178
shade
King

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
201 measly dollars.

you know

and 1 turn before they gave me >500G...

What causes this evaporation of traderevenue?
(I remember someone told me here that big trade-bonusses would dry up but I thought he meant that those commodities wouldn't be offered anymore)

Shade
Old June 13, 2002, 17:02   #179
rah
lifer
Just another peon

There is a trigger, which we all discussed just what it was. (originally I though it was city count(hitting max)), others thought it was pop, others thought it was a tech. But none of the theory ever were verified. Exceptions always happened. (unless someone did, and I just missed reading about it)

Get used to it. But look on the bright size, trade just got easier because they're all gonna suck so micromanagement is not needed.

RAH
I'm actually surprised that I remembered the exact number since it's been a few years.
Old June 13, 2002, 17:22   #180
Straybow
Civilization II Succession GamesSpanish CiversPtWDG2 TabemonoAlpha Centauri Democracy GameNationStatesGalCiv Apolyton EmpireTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Local Time: 07:46
Yello, Xin Yu! Long time no see, at least for me. I disappeared for most of 2001 to try to get a life after The List.

I much admire those with the programming sKiLlZ to do that kind of thing. Someone else somewhere said they made one for ToT. Is the one you're doing gonna work for 2.42?