Old October 16, 2001, 18:40   #1
Typo
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
About UU colours and ages
Not sure if this has been mentioned (apologies if it has).

Is there a reason behind why all UU's seem to be the same colour for each age? (I may be jumping the gun here slightly).

It also seems to me that most civs will want to be at war in the first half of the game a lot more than the later stages to gain advantage militarily with their UU's plus maybe get their golden age.

Seems to me that the Americans and Germans have a big disadvantage, militarily early in the game and later on politicaly. If they decide to take advantage of their UU in late stages of game their reputation will be damaged when attacking whereas other civs reps will probably have healed by the modern times? Also gaining resources needed to construct their UU's maybe more problematic than in past times...

Ancient Age (Blue):

Romans - Legion (3/3/1)
Greeks- Hoplite (1/3/1)
Indians - War Elephant (4/3/2)
Aztecs - Jaguar Warrior (1/1/2)
Iroquois - Mounted Warrior (3/1/2)
Egyptians - War Chariot (2/1/2)
Babylonians - Bowman (2/1/2)
Persians - Immortals (4/2/1)
Zulus - Impis (?/?/?)

Renaissance Age (Red):

Chinese - Rider (4/4/3)
Japanese - Samurai (?/?/?)
Russians - Cossack (6/4/3)
French - Musketeer (?/?/?)
English - Man-o-War (?/?/?)

Industrial Age (Illuminous Green?):

Germans - Panzer Tank (?/?/?)

Modern Age (Fairy Pink?):

Americans - F15 Fighter (?/?/?)
Old October 16, 2001, 18:55   #2
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:47
Quote:
Is there a reason behind why all UU's seem to be the same colour for each age? (I may be jumping the gun here slightly).
I have no idea what you are talking about???

Quote:
Seems to me that the Americans and Germans have a big disadvantage
This is the contrary of what many people think, including me. The two of them will have the best unit's from the modern age till the end of the game. Where as lets say the Zulus will only have the best unit for a limited time. Plus, they will be able to receive their GA when it will be more productive.

Quote:
Also gaining resources needed to construct their UU's maybe more problematic than in past times...
How is that? In the early times most of the resources needed may not have been discovered yet, the resources will still need to be found, and not enough man power/money/time to construct the neccasary needs for a resource to be harvested are some fo the reasons why it is harder in the early times. Where as in the modern age most of the resources will have been discovered, most of the land will have been explored, and more capabilities to perform the task of harvesting a resource.

Also, none of your comments have been mentioned before.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 16, 2001, 19:11   #3
Typo
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins

I have no idea what you are talking about???
All the unique units appear to be the same colour for a certain age period. - Hope this makes it more clear.

Quote:
This is the contrary of what many people think, including me. The two of them will have the best unit's from the modern age till the end of the game. Where as lets say the Zulus will only have the best unit for a limited time. Plus, they will be able to receive their GA when it will be more productive.
Americans and Gemans may have already had GA by peaceful means by wonder construction already in an earlier age.

Quote:
How is that? In the early times most of the resources needed may not have been discovered yet, the resources will still need to be found, and not enough man power/money/time to construct the neccasary needs for a resource to be harvested are some fo the reasons why it is harder in the early times. Where as in the modern age most of the resources will have been discovered, most of the land will have been explored, and more capabilities to perform the task of harvesting a resource.
My point is a lot of land grabbing and expanding has already been done by this point of the game, you may not have the necessary resources to build your uu in your borders. Meaning you'll have to trade or risk ruining your reputation by invading to try and get it from someone who does.
Old October 16, 2001, 19:17   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
You bring up good points about the UUs. True that the civs that have 'late coming' UUs may be at a disadvantage in the early game, which in previous CIV games is usually the most critical phase. But if the 'late bloomers' are able to keep pace with their more ancient peers throughout the game, once they get their UUs, they will overtake any competition.

But it is hard to say exactly how this will all play out until we get the game.
Old October 16, 2001, 19:18   #5
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 15:47
The colour of the UU depends on what civilisation they belong to. From what I can tell, the user is always blue and all his units are blue.

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 16, 2001, 19:30   #6
Typo
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Provost Harrison
The colour of the UU depends on what civilisation they belong to. From what I can tell, the user is always blue and all his units are blue.
This makes sense I guess but why is the Chinese Rider and Russian Cossack red? Could be that the player can pick what colour he is? Or these are pics belonging to another civ? Or different colours represent different ages?

I hope your right and it is just the colour of your own civ rather than for different ages, be cool if the player could pick his own colour too.
Old October 16, 2001, 19:49   #7
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

I have to agree with Provost Harrison. IMO, the color of the UU relates to the color of civilization which has it and is not related to the technology age.
Old October 16, 2001, 20:55   #8
Akron
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
War Elephant and Rider should be in the same age since they are based on the same unit.
Old October 16, 2001, 21:04   #9
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:47
I don't think the player is always blue; from what I've seen, the different civs all have a set color.
Old October 16, 2001, 23:42   #10
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:47
Quote:
This is the contrary of what many people think, including me. The two of them will have the best unit's from the modern age till the end of the game. Where as lets say the Zulus will only have the best unit for a limited time.
Contrary to what others have asserted (I'm not just picking on you, Techwin!), I believe that F15s and Panzers will be rendered obsolete prior to the end of the game. F15s will no longer be available with the development of Stealth Fighters, and Panzers will no longer be available with the development of Modern Armor.

Sure they might still be around, but they will no longer be available for production and they will be inferior to more modern units. Of course, that's just my opinion of how things will shake out, but it makes sense in light of everything I've seen.
Old October 16, 2001, 23:47   #11
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Local Time: 09:47
Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
I don't think the player is always blue; from what I've seen, the different civs all have a set color.
What color you are depends on what civ you pick, and/if you have messed with the colors in the editor. The reason most (all?) of the units shown in the Civ of the Week have blue highlights is because this is the color that was used when the models were originally made. Anywhere you see swatches of blue, feel free to imagine lime green, black, orange, or even pastel pink if you prefer.

Dan
Old October 16, 2001, 23:53   #12
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

THE MAN HAS SPOKEN!
Thanks for the clarification Dan!
Old October 17, 2001, 07:33   #13
Typo
Chieftain

Cool custom colours
Old October 17, 2001, 07:50   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
There's a counter arguement that I will put forward: Offensive UU's available before you are likely to have (m)any armies are less useful than those that come later. The people to get early armies with the best attack rating and hitpoints are likely to be the only ones successfully siezing towns.

Possible Tactics:
Fast early UU = sieze as much territory as possible for later colonisation
Defensive early UU = hold what you've got
Offensive early UU = try to be the first to get a leader and academy
Renaissance UU = armies galore to grab chunks off bigger empires now their UU is out of date
England = try and do something with your naval advantage. Can you threaten blockades?
Late UU = If you're still alive and in the running, its time to maximise your potential by persuading allies to attack the lead Civ then grab it all to become the leader yourself!

P.S. Glad we can customise those colours. It will please the colourblind as well as those of us who object to pink knights