Old October 16, 2001, 21:45   #1
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
release date OCTOBER 17!!!??
It finally looks like I got a scoop!!!
Here's my story:
I'm in the local computer super store checking things out. As I am walking to the front door I see THE BOX!!! where they put coming soon stuff. I look it over and get somewhat excited. I say to myself "You know what even though my computer will probably not run it I'll still buy it when it comes out." I then look at the board where they write release dates. To my absolute astonishment they've got Civilization III put down for October 17 release!!!! 2 frigging days away. Still holding the box I look back at it and think "am I dreaming?" "WTF?". I look back at the board and trace with my eyes to make sure I didn't read the date for some other game. NOPE it says Oct 17th for Civ3!!! What does this mean?? This place is pretty reliable so it could be true.
Could this be an isolated phenomenon? Perhaps my little city of Edmonton way in the middle of the Canadian prairies has been blessed by Sid/Firaxis as some sort of test bed??? If that is so I wonder how many requests I would have from people to send them a copy STAT by courier!!??
I realize that this could be a mistake by there person who wrote the date. I hope not!
Of course if this is true it'll probably be released all over America on that date. The stupid thing is that if by some mutant chance Edmonton proper was getting an early release I can't but it anyway because I'm flying to New York on the 17th !!
I still don't trust my eyes or the person who wrote the date so I am going to the store tomorrow and look again AND if it is still Oct 17th I'm going to ask a sales rep for confirmation.

Lets all hope this is no mistake!!!

Anyway I've got to go! Star Trek Enterprise is on in 15 minutes!! It's actually quite good! It has the raw edge of the original series as the captain isn't a wimp!
Old October 16, 2001, 22:01   #2
Akillias
Chieftain

Local Time: 14:47
do u live in USA?
Old October 16, 2001, 22:04   #3
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Akillias
do u live in USA?
Simpleton's thing says Edmonton, Canada . . .
It do make yo uwonder, but it doesn't seem lik ethey would have had time to burn a bunch of CDs by now.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:06   #4
Simpleton
Prince

No I live in Canada. In the province of Alberta and the city of Edmonton. Alberta is north of Montana/Idaho. Edmonton is about 500 miles (800 kilometres) north of this border. So it's basically in the middle of nowhere. Its about 1 million people in size.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:06   #5
lschaef
Settler

I don't trust stores
I'd have NO complaints if it actually came out on the 17th, but I don't trust info stores give about dates. I remember going to a computer store and asking if they had the Civ Multiplayer. They were clueless and the game wasn't even in their computer (a couple months after it was released). I found it at another store that same day.

I'm still planning on it being shipped the 30th, but if you see it in the store earlier let us know.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:12   #6
Mars
Prince

I'm pretty sure it is an misprint on the relase date. cuz everywhere else it says oct 30
Old October 16, 2001, 22:14   #7
Simpleton
Prince

Yah I think it was a misprint myself BUT if it is true that would be a nice surprise. Like I said I will be going back tomorrow and recheck the date as well as talking with someone to confirm it.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:24   #8
cassembler
Prince

Local Time: 08:47
The "preorder box" at Best Buy said October 18, but *subject to change* so I'm gonna check back anyways.
Old October 16, 2001, 22:27   #9
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
Oh wow! 1.5 hours till release! No, I'm betting there is an error here somewhere. Just another lie by Firaxis... giving it to us 13 days early like that...
Old October 16, 2001, 23:47   #10
Moral Hazard
King

I wouldn't be surprised at all if it comes out on 17th or 18th. Infogrames may want I simultaneous release date but Best Buy and EB want to sell it as soon as they get it. In the gaming industry market channel power is possessed by the big retailers, and hence the contracts may not specify a legal release date like they do in book publishing. Where publishers historically held the power, It's changing however. All in all, I'd say chances our good that we'll see it on the shelves in the next couple of days.
Old October 17, 2001, 00:03   #11
Simpleton
Prince

Hey! I just realized that Oct17th is tomorrow??? Wednesday! I'm definitely going to that store tomorrow! If it's not a mistake I'm coming home with the game!
Old October 17, 2001, 00:06   #12
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
In the gaming industry market channel power is possessed by the big retailers, and hence the contracts may not specify a legal release date like they do in book publishing.

I think this is the one time I'm thankful for big retailers!! If this is true.

PS: I'll guess by your avatar that your a fan of the Fallout series??? Great games eh?
Old October 17, 2001, 00:10   #13
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Hey where I am it is October 17th! Woohoo! How could I find out if the game has been released?
Old October 17, 2001, 00:44   #14
d4rkl0rd
Settler

Local Time: 06:47
I doubt it...

www.ebgames.com still says 10/30... and i believe it.
Old October 17, 2001, 00:46   #15
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Re: I doubt it...
Quote:
Originally posted by d4rkl0rd

www.ebgames.com still says 10/30... and i believe it.
Well that's too bad. Doesn't matter much though because I will just get it on the 31st for my bday.
Old October 17, 2001, 00:50   #16
Moral Hazard
King

I should emphasize the may part of may not include legal ... Because I'm conjecturing this from what I know of the industry as well as past products which have been available before official release dates.

Concerning Fallout 1 & 2, they're my favorite games of all time probably heresy on these boards. I wanted to use the Karma Sutra Master pic but when I tried the screen capture it turned up all black.
Old October 17, 2001, 01:37   #17
Falconius
Prince

Well, SH*T! It's the 17th NOW! I'm heading to the local software outlet and wait for them to open!

My Best Buy box also says the 18th, so it's worth a shot.
Old October 17, 2001, 01:41   #18
Falconius
Prince

Re: release date OCTOBER 17!!!??
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
I'm in the local computer super store checking things out. As I am walking to the front door I see THE BOX!!!
Is the name of the store a chain we would recognize?
Old October 17, 2001, 01:48   #19
Grunthex
Warlord

Must admit, I'm interested in what store it is too. Mostly because almost all the software chains in Edmonton are in Calgary as well, and they're likely to have similar release policies. And heck, even if they don't, what's a 3 hour drive each way, and $50 of gas compared to a 2 week headstart on Civ?
Old October 17, 2001, 02:04   #20
Chuckles
King

I am guessing (and hoping) that it is EB. But that is just a guess.
Old October 17, 2001, 02:07   #21
Chuckles
King

Quote:
Perhaps my little city of Edmonton way in the middle of the Canadian prairies has been blessed by Sid/Firaxis as some sort of test bed???
Followed by:

Quote:
do u live in USA?

Man I've got to chuckle at that. Avatar says Canada too. How many references you need? Silly settlers.
Old October 17, 2001, 02:18   #22
The Templar
Prince

Alright! Only a few more hours now
Old October 17, 2001, 02:54   #23
The Templar
Prince

Huh! I just checked out the Best Buy web site, and they say release will be on the 18 (but subject to change). See here.
Old October 17, 2001, 03:05   #24
fanatic civver
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:17
Local Date: November 1, 2010
agrees with d4rkl0rd

I reckon game stores purposely tell people early release dates that they know is wrong just to keep people interested and make them to come back to THEIR store every day until it is actually released. Obviously this works.

When the game comes out on the 31st buy it from a shop that had the real date to start with!
Old October 17, 2001, 03:21   #25
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuckles

Silly settlers.
Yeap, but more like stupid Yankees.
Old October 17, 2001, 04:54   #26
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:47
Hm, I guess I better check when 60 bucks are deducted from my credit card, because CB says they will charge only when shipped. Did not happen yet.
Also, CB shipment info is still 'not shipped' so I guess that we have to wait until Oct 30.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 17, 2001, 06:31   #27
Simpleton
Prince

Re: Re: release date OCTOBER 17!!!??
Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius

Is the name of the store a chain we would recognize?
Probably not. It's Compusmart. They're a big chain in Western Canada but I don't think they are in the US.
Sorry.

By the way I say a need screenshot of the city view on the box. It had a city centre clustered with skyscrapers and a sprawling city around them. Various city improvements were scattered in the surrounding area. It looked pretty neat!
Old October 17, 2001, 06:35   #28
Simpleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grunthex
Must admit, I'm interested in what store it is too. Mostly because almost all the software chains in Edmonton are in Calgary as well, and they're likely to have similar release policies. And heck, even if they don't, what's a 3 hour drive each way, and $50 of gas compared to a 2 week headstart on Civ?
By the way the store I saw it in was Compusmart. I think they have one in Calgary if memory serves me correct. If not the store I saw it in was the one in west Edmonton just north of the MALL on 170th street. FYI
Old October 17, 2001, 08:06   #29
gardd
Settler

I have been checking the big high-res pictures at
http://www.multiplayer.it/articoli.php3?id=1500&page=2

and they are just so cool.

The release date will be much earlier than the street date for Civilization III I think. Just check
www.isonews.com -> Releases -> Games
every now and then and see when it appears.

Piracy is not good. But for the curiousity, it is cool to see how soon it gets online in the "darker areas" of the world.

I will buy the game of course since it is soo good!!!!!
You should do it as well!!!!!!
Old October 17, 2001, 08:27   #30
Akaoz
Prince

It’s the strangest thing I’ve ever seen...

When the game went gold I mailed my local store (Akersmic, Oslo, Norway) to check their release date. They said 30th November on their site, and confirmed this by mail.

I just checked it now and it says 15th November...

I have never seen a release date move that way before...

What can it all mean? We (Norway) usually get games about a month after release in the US.

-Alech