Local Time: 14:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Unfortunately ITS NOT TRUE
Old October 17, 2001, 19:29   #62
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:47
Sorry everybody. It looks as though the store I went to is a little behind the times. I went in today and they had the date marked in for Oct 31st. Oh well it was worth a shot!!
I guess I should have known they'd screwed up after all this is the store that's still trying to sell CTP2 for FULL price???? HA HA HA HA HA. Good luck!

Man I'd give my copy away!
Old October 18, 2001, 03:15   #63
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton

I guess I should have known they'd screwed up after all this is the store that's still trying to sell CTP2 for FULL price????
What?!? Holy sht!
Buahahahahaa!

Looks like they don't even know what they sell.
Old October 18, 2001, 03:25   #64
LaRusso
King

good. or there would be a bloodbath
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 18, 2001, 09:45   #65
Th0mas
Civilization III Democracy Game
Warlord

getting very very worried!!!
Quote:
Originally posted by Chowlett
www.eb.uk.com still claim that Civilisation 3 will be released on 16/11/2001. But then they also claim that Civillisation 3 (yes, two 'l's) will be released on 16/11/2001 at a price TBC, and that Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone will be released 16/11/2001, but on another page claim it's in stock - so I just don't know.
If the 16th November is the correct date for a UK release, my question would be:

"Why the delay?"

my concern is that the publishers will be adding some 'extra' copy protection to the UK version over what is already present in the US version.

This is very worrying

The copy protection US publishers add to UK/ european versions of their software is notorious for causing problems.

...and IMO is a totally pointless exercise as only legitimate buyers of the software have to deal with it - while the buggers who would get an illegal copy can easily bypass the protection software.

so if the delay is due to distribution reasons .. I might accept it - but if not.........infrogames NOOOOOO!

6 years lurking, 5 minutes posting
Old October 18, 2001, 10:04   #66
Moral Hazard
King

Local Time: 10:47
Thomas:

Keep in mind that copy protection exist to stop casual piracy. You know like burning a CD for your friend etc.
Old October 18, 2001, 10:25   #67
Th0mas
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Moral Hazard
Thomas:

Keep in mind that copy protection exist to stop casual piracy. You know like burning a CD for your friend etc.
Yes obviously...however there is no need to increase the copy protection for the UK version over and above that which is present within the US version.
(casual users will have already been put off in most cases by the US protection)

Historically US publishers have viewed the UK (I can't talk for the other European Nations) as high risk for piracy. Which IMO is laughable. With Global communications, geography is now to all intents and purposes irrelevant! The day it comes out in the US (or before) it will have been pirated - and illegal copies will be in production through out the world.

So why make it difficult for your legitimate customers by slamming the barn door once the horse has already bolted!

Old October 18, 2001, 10:33   #68
LaRusso
King

um, how does diversifying copy protections enhance it?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 18, 2001, 10:49   #69
StratAll
Settler

Local Time: 15:47
Not publishing a game worldwide might even increase piracy. Instead of buying the game in stores people will download a pirated version and then for various reasons ("Now that I have the game, why bother buy it", "There's no wonder movies on the CD anyway",...) won't buy it when it finally hits the shelves.

I'm quite sure the real Civ-fanclub will buy a copy and as I write software myself I feel morally obliged to buy all the software I use, so don't see this as an encouragement to piracy. Just a week of delay might even be acceptable, because after all it's a huge logistics operation to get it to all stores in the world. But hey, that's a distributors job and two weeks is too long in my opinion.
Old October 18, 2001, 10:58   #70
Blacksurf
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Th0mas

Historically US publishers have viewed the UK (I can't talk for the other European Nations) as high risk for piracy.
this is usually the case with games in the UK - hence one of the reasons we get games a little after the US. Although Commandos 2 had no CP at all - but then again it is 3 CDs....
Old October 18, 2001, 11:31   #71
Th0mas
Warlord

I Just hope that the reason for the delay is due to distribution....

Although I can't believe that Infrogrames don't have an efficient distribution network - it is a rather important aspect of their business!

If there is more a stringent copy protection on the UK version, I will be very tempted to order my copy from Amazon.com (not co.uk).

Can anyone forsee any problems with running the US version of CIV III in the UK (or any other country)?

Old October 18, 2001, 11:58   #72
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Local Time: 09:47
ahahahah I'll be playing Civ 3 on Oct 31st and you UKers won't be... nyah nyah nyah!
Old October 18, 2001, 12:29   #73
Th0mas
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin
ahahahah I'll be playing Civ 3 on Oct 31st and you UKers won't be... nyah nyah nyah!

..........NNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo *sob*

Old October 18, 2001, 12:46   #74
Grumbold
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Th0mas
I Just hope that the reason for the delay is due to distribution....
Straight from another thread on the topic:

Once the game goes "gold" in the US it will need to be separately adapted for UK language (if deemed necessary) before it is certified by UK censors and granted a licence. Only then can UK production begin. There are several other minorhoops that need jumping through too. 2 weeks delay is far from the worst delay from localisation issues I've encountered. Some games are delayed for months.
Old October 18, 2001, 12:57   #75
Andrew1999
Warlord

Local Time: 08:47
You know, if the retailers really are shipping today like that email from Amazon said, it may very well be in stores over the weekend. Hell, I'd almost be willing to pay the extra cash to overnight if it meant I'd get it two weeks early.
Old October 18, 2001, 13:01   #76
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 22:47
Dang! Let down again!

I was going to rush down to the local store first thing tomorrow morning.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:20   #77
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
If distributors DO ship today, I wonder how much money would be required to bribe the clerk at Electronics Boutique? Or matbe I should talk a little Blarney at Best Buy . . .
Old October 18, 2001, 18:28   #78
Fredric Drum
Warlord

A merchant brings dire news.... checked amazon today, and they've moved the delivery date to 7-14 nov. Yesterday it read 25-31 oct. Well.. what' another half month.. we've been waiting for years.

I also noticed Amazon's "today's featured recommendation". Guess what it was.. yes, CTP2!! TODAY they have the nerve to recommend CTP2. I guess they have a REALLY big stock of the game that no zane body on this planet wants to buy.

Fred
Old October 18, 2001, 18:39   #79
steveLRC
Settler

Local Time: 06:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Fredric Drum
A merchant brings dire news.... checked amazon today, and they've moved the delivery date to 7-14 nov. Yesterday it read 25-31 oct. Well.. what' another half month.. we've been waiting for years.
Amazon is still showing me a ship date of October 31:

1 of: Civilization 3 [CD-ROM]
Item Availability: 1 to be released: October 31, 2001
Expected Ship Date: Nov 01, 2001
Estimated Delivery: Nov 05, 2001

Could it be they've just changed the overseas date, maybe?
Old October 18, 2001, 18:48   #80
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by steveLRC

Amazon is still showing me a ship date of October 31:

1 of: Civilization 3 [CD-ROM]
Item Availability: 1 to be released: October 31, 2001
Expected Ship Date: Nov 01, 2001
Estimated Delivery: Nov 05, 2001

Could it be they've just changed the overseas date, maybe?

They've certainly changed the overseas date.. if the US date has been Nov 5 for some time, I guess it has been updated more frequently.

I know I must be patient.. and that a computer game is not the end of the world... and that lots of things are more important. But I CRAVE Civ III!!!! I need it NOW!

Fred