Old October 17, 2001, 00:26   #1
Arator
Warlord

Local Time: 08:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Has anyone at FIRAXIS yet given a clear answer to this key question?
Even at this late date, the scope of the editor is still shrouded in relative secrecy.

Whether I purchase Civ3 hinges on the answer to the following question:

Will we be able to ADD custom civs to the playable mix in the standard RANDOM MAP game?

If the answer is yes, I will buy Civ3. If the answer is no, I will wait for this still glaring non-improvement to be fixed in Civ4.

So, FIRAXIS, what's the answer?
Old October 17, 2001, 00:32   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:47
I recall reading somewhere that you can use the Civ3 Editor and cusotmize your own type of civilization. So, I would have to say yes, you will be able to add a customized civilization...But I do not know for sure if you can do this on the standard random map, or if you have to go with one of the larger maps.
Old October 17, 2001, 00:34   #3
korn469
Emperor

Local Time: 09:47
Arator

as far as i know the answer to your question is yes

i suggest looking under creation or custom civs for the specific answer
Old October 17, 2001, 01:52   #4
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 09:47
Judging by that hefty editor screenshot (see top thread), I'd say hell yeah.
Old October 17, 2001, 03:07   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:47
I get the impression you will have to replace one of the existing civs with your custom parameters but once its done you should be anble to select it normally. I don't think you can create 8 custom civs and have them and the 16 originals available simultaneously.
Old October 17, 2001, 03:09   #6
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Re: Has anyone at FIRAXIS yet given a clear answer to this key question?
Quote:
Originally posted by Arator

Will we be able to ADD custom civs to the playable mix in the standard RANDOM MAP game?

If the answer is yes, I will buy Civ3. If the answer is no, I will wait for this still glaring non-improvement to be fixed in Civ4.
This "glaring non-improvment" is possible in SMAX!
Old October 17, 2001, 03:15   #7
Zanzin
Prince

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Creating your custom civs is quite do-able, I believe. Also, I don't think it will overwrite currently existing civs - only that you won't be able to play with all 16 civs + your civ etc....you're still limited to 16 civs per game (if that's even possible).

Firaxis definately wouldn't make it so that you overwrite the existing shipped civs
Old October 17, 2001, 04:55   #8
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:47
IIRC, they said you can really put in anything you want. just look at the editor. i would be surprised if such an editor would not be complimented by what you are asking for.
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 17, 2001, 06:39   #9
Simpleton
Prince

Local Time: 07:47
I think the only thing you won't easily be able to customize will be the leaders portrait because these portraits are semi-animated.
Old October 17, 2001, 06:46   #10
campmajor!
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
I get the impression you will have to replace one of the existing civs with your custom parameters but once its done you should be anble to select it normally. I don't think you can create 8 custom civs and have them and the 16 originals available simultaneously.
I too think that if you want your customised civs to be selected as if it was a standard civ made by Firaxis, you'll have to overwrite one of them. But we'll have to wait to 30/10 to see what is really possible...
Old October 17, 2001, 10:20   #11
kittenOFchaos
Prince

A nice kitty
Civfanatics has a picture of the editor (...only one I'm afraid...) and it looks good...

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showth...&threadid=6538

http://forums.civfanatics.com/attach...=&postid=82918

Aren't I a nice kitten In fact this is my 3rd nice post in a row...meaning someone is in trouble

Old October 17, 2001, 10:24   #12
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:47
Quote:
Originally posted by Simpleton
I think the only thing you won't easily be able to customize will be the leaders portrait because these portraits are semi-animated.
If I remember correctly, you can replace the leader portraits with static images.
Old October 17, 2001, 15:13   #13
Bronso
Settler

Quote:
If I remember correctly, you can replace the leader portraits with static images.
I hope Firaxis will do this for themselves in the shipped scenarios, where probably the civs will be changed. I hated in WW2 talking to Churchill and seeing the picture of Henry VIII...

I demand no special animations, but simple pictures should not be too hard a problem.
Old October 17, 2001, 15:23   #14
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:47
IIRC nothing has been said on whether we can add civs or just edit the existing ones, but I'd guess that you can add them (as you can add governments, why should you not be able to add civs?)
Old October 17, 2001, 15:34   #15
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Local Time: 14:47
As someone has already said, in SMAC/X you could add you own factions, and then you loaded them by specifying their filename. Thus, you could play with any mix of original and new factions you wanted, up to the limit of 7 fations per game. It would seem silly to have dropped this, so I fully expect to be able to add civs without overwriting the originals. I don't expect it to be possible to play with more civs than is standard on a given map, though - just that a larger choice will be possible.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara