Old October 17, 2001, 00:45   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:47
Local Date: October 31, 2010
The ultimate CivIII tech?
Looking at this, it seems the end of the tech tree is the Integrated Defense tech.

I wonder what exactly this tech does...

Its been so long since I have played CivII that I don't even remember if this tech was in that game, or even what CivII's last REAL tech was.
Old October 17, 2001, 00:48   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

btw- using that same link, take a look at the Space Flight tech: is that the Moon I see there? Can we go to the moon now?
Old October 17, 2001, 00:51   #3
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Integrated Defense (along with 5 SAMs) allows you to build the SDI defense small wonder. This gives you protection agianst nukes. However, we don't know if this protection is perfect or universal (because there are two types of nukes).

The Apollo program (in real life) was the mission to the moon
Old October 17, 2001, 01:06   #4
Sarxis
Emperor

Of course! Its the Apollo Program. How silly of me
Old October 17, 2001, 01:38   #5
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 00:47
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I hope its not 100% protection against both nukes, that would most definantly make it boring.
Old October 17, 2001, 04:56   #6
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 16:47
There are Future Techs too...I thought they were out ....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 17, 2001, 18:03   #7
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Yah I am hoping that SDI defense will only protect against ICBMs. That would be cool. But maybe they didn't have the accuracy to hit those low flying tacs. That would balance out the ICBM (right now it can hit any target in the world) though I'm gussing they will very expensive anyway.

The future techs are actually things we can do to a minor degree today. Like, we have fusion power today, it just only works for a small amount of time before we have to turn it off (or else really big KABOOM)
Old October 17, 2001, 18:31   #8
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Local Time: 09:47
Quote:
Originally posted by LaRusso
There are Future Techs too...I thought they were out ....
No, there aren't. Except for Integrated Defense, which hasn't quite been perfected yet, most of those were in the Civ2 tree and none of them are future techs.
Old October 17, 2001, 21:51   #9
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:47
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Agreed....... I think. According to one of the victory analysis ( end of game / score ) screens points are awarded for future techs, so they must still be in regardless of their absence from the tech tree.
Old October 17, 2001, 22:12   #10
Mars
Prince

Can any one help me out: what is the tech before stealth, and the one at the very bottom to the right, i can't make out what they sat i was wondering if anyone else knows
Old October 18, 2001, 15:33   #11
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mars
Can any one help me out: what is the tech before stealth, and the one at the very bottom to the right, i can't make out what they sat i was wondering if anyone else knows
Those are Synthetic Fibers and Robotics, respectively Mars. Synthetic Fibers give you Modern Tanks
Old October 18, 2001, 18:06   #12
Cyclotron
Never Ending StoriesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
King

Ah, I see.

Future tech: As in CTP future techs, which suck and are not in Civ3.

Future tech: As in Civ2 future tech, which gives you bonus points and nothing else.

Neither of these exist in the tech tree, but I'll be willing to bet Firaxis will use the latter like in Civ2 to make research at least a little bit valuable at the end of the game.
Old October 18, 2001, 22:20   #13
Shadowstrike
Emperor

IIRC, the only Civ2 future techs were Future Technology (duh) and Fusion Power (which we are very close to IIRC). I might be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.
Old October 18, 2001, 23:12   #14
Mars
Prince

Why do you all hate the CTP future techs, i kind of liked them
Old October 18, 2001, 23:54   #15
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Shadowstrike
IIRC, the only Civ2 future techs were Future Technology (duh) and Fusion Power (which we are very close to IIRC). I might be wrong though, but I'm pretty sure.
We've been very close to fusion power for decades, which is the problem with near future tech predictions, it's so hard to know if or when it'll actually occur. Who in 1985 would've predicted the mass appeal of the internet? I read a bunch of old tech previews a while back and the internet was expected to be too expensive to be viable until 2010 (if your on a dial up like me, there may be some truth to that). I'm very happy future tech was mostly left out (unlike the godawful CtP), it's just too hard to be accurate, which in a very general respect Civ technology is abstracted pretty well.