Old October 17, 2001, 12:13   #1
Pods
Settler

Local Time: 14:48
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Cruise Missiles and Nukes
Safe to say they'll work the same as air units? In that you don't have to move them along the tiles, but simply designate a target within their operations range and watch it fly off?

S.
Old October 17, 2001, 12:23   #2
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:48
Provided there are no nearby buildings with big red crosses on top. That tends to confuse them
Old October 17, 2001, 12:30   #3
donarumo
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Provided there are no nearby buildings with big red crosses on top. That tends to confuse them
I am trying very hard not to laugh a little at this. It's not funny, it's not funny. Maybe if I keep telling myself that.

-- (Terry Pratchett & Neil Gaiman, Good Omens)
Old October 17, 2001, 12:39   #4
drake
King

Local Time: 10:48

These terrorists intentionally killed thousands of people and we got people getting in a huff because we injured a few people and burned a couple loaves of bread that we surely had provided them in the first place anyway. The US has given more aid to Afghanistan than any country in the world. It was nothing but a regretful yet insignificant incident.

Next time we'll hit our target dead on right in the heart of a civilian population. Maybe then some people would be impressed by our accuracy. Right grummy?
Old October 17, 2001, 12:39   #5
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Local Time: 06:48
I'll hold my tounge...
Old October 17, 2001, 12:42   #6
Mahdimael
Prince

Actually, the only person injured was a guard. And the supplies
Old October 17, 2001, 12:42   #7
Pods
Settler

Let's stay on topic.
Old October 17, 2001, 12:54   #8
drake
King

Sorry pods.....

I would hope missiles and airplanes would function the same way as they did in civ2 with the exception of bombers getting hung up between turns. And the "moving" of missiles. I mean, you cant fly them from one continent and land them in another

A bomber should be able to make his single drop and return to base in a single round......missiles should be able to be transported in any cargo carrying unit and only should be able to be launched from either a mobile unit or a specifically equipped base.

I think the target thing is a neat idea sorta.......but I atleast want to be able to watch the target being hit.....
Old October 17, 2001, 12:58   #9
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by drake
Sorry pods.....

I would hope missiles and airplanes would function the same way as they did in civ2 with the exception of bombers getting hung up between turns. And the "moving" of missiles. I mean, you cant fly them from one continent and land them in another

A bomber should be able to make his single drop and return to base in a single round......missiles should be able to be transported in any cargo carrying unit and only should be able to be launched from either a mobile unit or a specifically equipped base.

I think the target thing is a neat idea sorta.......but I atleast want to be able to watch the target being hit.....
I have to second that. It would only make sense since they changed the aircraft.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 17, 2001, 13:01   #10
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by donarumo

I am trying very hard not to laugh a little at this. It's not funny, it's not funny. Maybe if I keep telling myself that.
I know I'll be flamed for saying this, but the original thing it'self was pretty funny at first before it sank in.

I mean - terrorists fly a plane into one of the world trade centres? Yeah ****ing right.

Then they do it do the other one too

Are the planes cesnas? Nope - They're big **** off jumbos ( which are pretty funny in themselves - big fat planes )

And then they finish off by attacking the pentagon - but what do they attack? The Navy, who mean no harm to no one.

I thought it was a very weird joke when my dad phoned to tell me about it.........
Old October 17, 2001, 13:40   #11
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 16:48
Hi Faboba,
do you know the proverb:
"Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses" - If you would have been silent, you would be still a philosopher"
Old October 17, 2001, 13:58   #12
drake
King

Sounds about right cyril
Old October 17, 2001, 14:04   #13
Kassiopeia
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameGalCiv Apolyton EmpireApolyton Storywriters' GuildCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans
Emperor

Local Time: 17:48
I think, that the nuclear war would be approached more like they did in CtP. What I want is that you target the nukes, and press launch. And then BOOM. What I don't want is to "fly" them around like in Civ2.
Flying is for the cruise missiles.
Old October 17, 2001, 14:55   #14
Grumbold
Emperor

I'd like to just select the attack icon, click on the target and see the game handle the movement of the plane/missile to target, conduct the attack (and return if an aircraft). The navigation to target tile by tile is unneccesary provided we don't have out-of-city autofire AA units that we need to steer around.

OT to Drake: I find it ironic that our modern satellites can spy trucks visiting warehouses to pick out a potential target but not the colour of the roof paint. Looks like the aid agencies need a different arial recognition method. No criticism implied of our war effort. Its a job that has to be done. Working in a potentially high risk UK institution I would be foolish to condemn the efforts made to ensure our safety from terrorism.
Old October 17, 2001, 15:02   #15
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:48
Gee, I wonder if we'll see hordes of AI cruise missles coming out of nowhere again
Old October 17, 2001, 15:05   #16
Crouchback
Warlord

I hope cruise missiles are examples of smart weapons, capable of targeting specific buildings/units. Sorry, I'm sure Dan said this somewhere in these forums but the best link I can find on short notice is civfanatics.

David
Old October 17, 2001, 15:07   #17
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
I hope cruise missiles are examples of smart weapons, capable of targeting specific buildings/units. Sorry, I'm sure Dan said this somewhere in these forums but the best link I can find on short notice is civfanatics.

David
Dan mentioned smart weapons before, didn't he?
Old October 17, 2001, 15:08   #18
drake
King

Fair enough grumbold......

However, this incident is so insignificant in the granduer of the entire operation. No one even died. It wasnt a big issue. The targeting technology is far from perfect and sh1t is going to happen. No getting around it.

The Taliban werent upset by this. They were overjoyed. They werent worried about food being burnt or people dying. They just wanted to have a picture to put in the news. Negative propoganda is the only thing they can fight with. Eating it up isn't going to help our cause at all.
Old October 17, 2001, 16:30   #19
Tventano
Warlord

Could you move this propaganda war, including the bad jokes to OT?

I think it very sad that again we are killing each other. For whatever "good" cause, and I do not think revenge a very good reason. Fighting a war in Civ is a different story, in reality it is awful.
Old October 17, 2001, 17:25   #20
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

I'm gussing Cruise Missiles (and yes, they can be smart weapons) will work the same as other planes, but nukes will probably be different. I'm hoping there is some sort of MAD. With every unit having an animated graphic, I'm sure nukes ( ) and cruise missiles will have one, too.

OT: Bad, baaad jokes. But seriously, we do have the best targeting sysmtes and missiles and satelites (which reminds me, what are satelites in Civ III gonna be?) in the wolrd, so hey, we are doing the best that can possibly done. More accidents would happen if others were doing the attacking.

And this is not a war of revenge. This is a war to make sure that another 7,000 people don't die.
Old October 17, 2001, 17:47   #21
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by drake

These terrorists intentionally killed thousands of people and we got people getting in a huff because we injured a few people and burned a couple loaves of bread that we surely had provided them in the first place anyway. The US has given more aid to Afghanistan than any country in the world. It was nothing but a regretful yet insignificant incident.

Next time we'll hit our target dead on right in the heart of a civilian population. Maybe then some people would be impressed by our accuracy. Right grummy?

Uhm.. the Afghan civilians weren't actually responsible for the air disasters, were they? You might as well drop bombs over Buenos Aires or Beijing for that matter.

Fred
Old October 17, 2001, 19:27   #22
Matthew Hayden
Chieftain

Alright Grumbold ?!!
My, aren't we British a bunch of pessimists

Sadly Drake, you are only too right about the Taliban using the incident involving the red cross facility ( In fact, given the oppurtunity Taliban forces have so far been taking supplies from the people, but this could be for a myriad of reasons) as propaganda to a population that has had to take their word for everything for seven years, causing them -sadly- to see the western world as enemies.
The rascism in Britain (I don't know about other countries) is creating exactly what bin Laden wants, and the whole idea of retaliating against the Taliban for the actions of a terrorist when really (seeing how the US armed forces are of course the best equipped, the probably the best period, in the world) they should have been liquidated before they could do so much damage.

Quote:
"...we do have the best targeting sysmtes and missiles and satelites.....in the wolrd
Not only that, but you seem to have the crappyest schools in the world as well!!!!! Congrarulations you almighty protectors of Democra... sorry, Capitalism

By the way, what do all og yuo thnik of Prseidnte Bsuh??

I think he is a retard intent on starting WW3.
Old October 17, 2001, 19:39   #23
Shiva
Prince

Local Time: 08:48
Quote:
Originally posted by Matthew Hayden
Not only that, but you seem to have the crappyest schools in the world as well!!!!! Congrarulations you almighty protectors of Democra... sorry, Capitalism

By the way, what do all og yuo thnik of Prseidnte Bsuh??

I think he is a retard intent on starting WW3.
Well you certainly show stupidy isnt limited to the US school system.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 17, 2001, 19:53   #24
TVA22
Chieftain

Mathew Haydon
I'm an American, I nearly lost someone I knew on Sept. 11, fortunately, she changed her plans at the last minute, I don't think the way to go about this is kill civillians, and our cruise missile accident was regretable, but just what the hell would you have done if you were the President of the United States?

I think you need to shut the f*ck up about our president, and either get behind the US, or go to hell. If you don't like it in the free world, move to Afganistan. And just what do you think makes Britian so much better than America in the political/economic sense?hmm? Um, sorry, but I like being a capitalist, I'm proud of being a sensible economist. And here's a fact for you: British are capitalists too, and our government derives from 16th century constitutional monarchy in England, with a bit of French philosophy for good measure.
The US is by no means perfect, but just how would you solve the world's problems, if we took our "retard intent on starting WW3" out of office, and put you in charge???

I've got no beef with the British here, in fact I thought it was particularly touching when Tony Blair said something to the effect of, "When the men of my father's generation withstood the Blitz, there was one people who stood by our side, Americans-- now we intend to return the favor."
Old October 17, 2001, 19:54   #25
Colonel Kraken
PtWDG Legoland
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Shiva

Well you certainly show stupidy isnt limited to the US school system.

Sorry, I'm not one to usually make a one icon post, but that sure was funny.
Old October 17, 2001, 20:07   #26
manofthehour
Warlord

Crappiest school system huh, so this is why we lead the world in technology and ideas.
Old October 17, 2001, 20:25   #27
drake
King

Quote:
Uhm.. the Afghan civilians weren't actually responsible for the air disasters, were they? You might as well drop bombs over Buenos Aires or Beijing for that matter.

Fred
You talking about my last paragraph? Geez I think you need to take sarcasm 101

If we were intentionally attackin civilians I would agree with you fred. For that matter we might as well be bombing our own cities. But seeing how that isnt the case, theres no need for discussion.

Geez I'm sorry I opened this can of worms. Again sorry about that pods.
Old October 17, 2001, 22:55   #28
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

THIS IS THE CIV III FORUM... NOT THE OTF

Take your hateful comments somewhere away from Apolyton.
If you want to discuss politics or other issues... post them in the OTF where they belong. The next person that doesn't stay on topic in this thread WILL get a vacation.
Old October 17, 2001, 23:45   #29
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

About those Missiles
I know that air combat and bombardment is different, but I have no idea, nor have I heard anything about how the missiles work.

I wonder though if the missiles will have the same 'selective bombardment' ability as the bombers (and whatever) have? It would be great to be able to choose what city improvements or units they could hit.

Again, I can't say I have heard anything on the subject.

:EDIT:

Thanx to korn in this thread, we may now be enlightened:

quote:

there are now three additional types of combat: bombardment, missile attacks, and air combat. Bombardment is not limited to targeting enemy units--players can also use it against terrain improvements (roads and the like) and cities (where it may cause a population decrease or destroy city structures). Missiles operate in a similar way, but they are expended once the attack is conducted. And air units now have a specialized range of missions, running the gamut from air superiority to recon and precision bombing.

Check that thread for further discussion.

Last edited by Sarxis; October 18, 2001 at 00:10.
Old October 18, 2001, 00:47   #30
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by cyril25376
Hi Faboba,
do you know the proverb:
"Si tacuisses philosophus mansisses" - If you would have been silent, you would be still a philosopher"
Feh!

I say what I think.
You will get neither falsehoods nor censor from me.

As to the topic in hand I once again find I wholeheartly agree with firaxis. It's stupid to be able to protect your civ from nukes by ringing troops around your territory,

"Base this is Eagle one. Sir, we cannot proceed to target, we'll have to abort"

"Base to Eagle one, Pilot, whats the problem?"

"We can't seem to fly over the warriors they've got down there sir"

Talk about you're low flying nukes

Also with planes the way they were you didn't really get a feel for the power of an aircraft carrier. It was really just a fast way of moving nukes round the world, admit it.