Local Date: October 31, 2010
Expansion Pack Civilizations explained: The Mayans
Names: Yucatan, Mayans, Mayan
Time Period : 250AD-1700AD
Leader: male: Pacal, Hunahpu female: Xoc
Unique Unit: Plumed Archer
Leaders: Nachi Cocom, Cecilio Chi, Hunak-Ke’el,
Abilities: Religious/ Scientific or Religious/Commercial

Historical Significance: Although they could not count on as much cultural interaction as “Old World”-Civilizations, they accumulated knowledge, especially in mathematics and astronomy, that often superceded those in the Old World at that time. They dominated the cultural standards of all Mesoamerica for a long time and had vast influence on the surrounding Civilizations for centuries.

Description:
The beginnings of agriculture and pottery in the Maya-regions traces back to app. 2500BC, the so called Swazey-phase, yet we cannot speak of “the Mayans” at that time. The cultural roots of the Mayans, as those of all mesoamerican civilization goes back to the Olmecs, a culture that developped in the late 2nd millenium BC and vanished about 400AD. Their religion and architecture provided the substrate for all religions of Mesoamerica. The heirs of the Olmecs in Guatemala were the “highland mayans”. They formed new cities or built upon old olmec settlements, so it’s impossible for us to say, when exactly the Olmecs vanished and the Mayans formed.

In the third century, peoples from the highlands of Guatemala and El Salvador migrated to the Yucatan lowlands. Those peoples are subsumated under the term “lowland mayans”. In that time, the mayans started to construct the first of their pyramids for which they became famous, but also they developped a very accurate calendar and a hieroglyphical scripture, the only system in precolumbian america that allowed a real representation of spoken language. The Mayans of that time were ruled by aristocratic dynasties with significant theocratic elements and organized in City-States and minor principalities. This characteristic of the Mayans never changed, they were never empire-builders like the Aztecs or Incans. This political structure, together with their scientific achievements, caused scholars to speak of the “American Greeks”.

Teotihuacan, an important metropolis of central Mexico from app.100AD to 600AD, influenced the Mayans politically and culturally (especially architecture). In many Mayan centers, especially Kaminaljuyú and Tikal, there was military presence of Teotihuacan and it was also the influence of Teotihuacan that introduced the ritual ball game in the Mayan culture, the Mayans started to worship several deities formerly unknown to them (Kukulkan: Mayan for Quetzalcoatl). When Teotihuacan tumbled, the Mayan elites, who depended on them, faced severe economic and political crisis, but the time after this period of foreign domination should become known as the Mayan “Golden Age”, marked by great architectural feats and the construction of a huge roadnetwork (Sacbeoob), linking the cities. The roads were important for the economic prosperity and lead to the suggestion that there must have been a relatively peaceful coexistance between the City-States. We can also note a surprising continuity in Mayan dynasties. Most of the cities were ruled by the same dynasty during that time.

From the late 8th century on, groups from central Mexico started to migrate to Yucatan and Guatemala and destroyed the old Mayan dynasties and lead to a decline of Mayan achievements. Culturally the Mayans never fully recovered from this set-back. The last mexican invaders were the Quiché. Around 1200AD the Quiché under their leader Balam Quitzé won a decisive battle at Mt.Hacavitz, conquered the Mayan highlands of Guatemala and mixed up with the native population. Nevertheless those “Quiché-Mayans” inherited the Mayan political structure and adapted to a high degree to Mayan culture.

In the north, in Yucatan itself, the major conquerors were the Toltecs who came between 800 and 1000AD to Yucatan. Different from the south, the cultural set-back in Yucatan was less severe, but political and militaristic influence of the Toltecs was certainly bigger. Human sacrifices became a more central element and were performed in bigger quantities. Also the military organization in “warrior orders”, like in the Aztec society, was due to the Toltec influence. The most important Toltec group were the Itzá with their capital Chichen Itzá, a city that shows in its architecture close ties to Tula, the most important Toltec city in central Mexico. Chichen Itzá gained much political power in northern Yucatan they maintained close relations to states outside the Mayan region. It was probably the largest state in the Maya region before the arrival of the Spanish until Chichen Itzá was destroyed by the people of Mayapán in 1185. From that date, Mayapán was the dominant political center until 1445, but it already showed the cultural decline of the culture and knowledge. After the partial destruction of Mayapán in 1445, Yucatan lacked a political center and was divided into 16 different states, none of which could show up with great cultural achievements nor architectural feats – decline was everywhere.

This was about the situation the Spanish encountered when making contact with the Mayans, first made in 1502. Cortes sailed along Yucatan on his way to central Mexico and had to fight in some encounters with Mayan population. In 1524, Pedro de Alvarado, an officer of Cortes, conquered the highlands of Guatemala, culminating in the capture of Utatlán (Qumaar Kah) . Another of Cortes’ officers, Francisco de Montejo, lead several campaigns to Yucatan between 1527-1529. His son continued the conquests and until 1549, many Mayan communities were conquered and Christianity was forcefully imposed on them. Yet the Mayan resistance was strong and the beliefs persisted. In 1562, Bishop Diego de Landa burnt a huge amount of unrecoverable Maya-Books and had several thousands of Mayans killed as heretics. But the conquest of Yucatan was not complete. The city of Tayasal (Peten Itzá) in the heart of Yucatan was a place of retreat for the Mayans and it was not before 1697 that the Spanish defeated that last of the independant Maya-states.

Mayan identity did not completely vanish though. In the middle of the 19th century, the Mayan General Cecilio Chi occupied 4/5 of Yucatan and expelled or killed the most european inhabitants. He was murdered after a year but Mayan resistance went on for half a century in the so called “caste-war”. It was not before 1901 that the Mexican general Ignacio Bravo conquered Chan Santa Cruz, the center of resistance.

The mayan people still remain a significant minority in today's Mexico and Guatemala and preserve a distincct language and culture. Their struggle for communal self-government and general autonomy is not over yet. In some areas of Yucatan even today it remains difficult to find someone who speaks spanish.

Cities (updated) :
Tikal
Chichen Itza
Palenque
Mayapan
Uxmal
Tulum
Yaxchilan
Izamal
Copan
Bonampak
Labna
Seibal
Koba
Kaminaljuyu
Izapa
Uaxactun
Qumaar Kah
Altun Ha
Lamanai
Kabah
Edzna
Becan
Ake
Xcaret
Loltun
Tayasal
Xpuhil
Balankanche
Dzibilchaltun
Hochob
Ekbalam
Cozumel
Culuba
Iximche
Kalakmul
Tazumal
Lubaantun
Dzibilnocac
Xunantunich
Yaxche Xlapbak
Ikil
Sayil
Xcavil de Yaxche
Tonina
Pok Ta Pok
Oxkintok
Chincultic
Chicanna
Chacmultun
Yaxuna
Nakum
Muyil
Axanceh
Chinkultic
Chacalal
Nohmul
Tohkok
Mul Chic
Tankah
Kuhunlich
Corozal
Quelepa
Yaxha
Topoxte
Zaculeu
Ulua

Last edited by Wernazuma III; October 22, 2001 at 18:00.
Old October 17, 2001, 19:51   #2
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:49
Unique Unit: plumed archer? (a la AoC)

excellent thread...
Old October 18, 2001, 01:31   #3
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 16:49
Quote:
Originally posted by jdd2007
Unique Unit: plumed archer? (a la AoC)

excellent thread...
Thanks

I thought about the UU and didn't come to a real conclusion. The warriors of the late Mayan era were MOL from warrior orders like in the case of the Aztecs. Earlier, they used mostly spears with devices called Atlatl, but those are the same as in central Mexico too. I somehow doubt the accuracy of the plumed archer, but regarding the "flair" component it could be a good choice (if it's good enough for AoC...)
Old October 18, 2001, 07:29   #4
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Good summary I don't have much time right now, but one thing. How about Hunahpu as leader? Quite frankly I don't know much about the guy but he was their leader in all incarnations of the CtP MedMod and the guys who composed that mod must have had some reason for it...
Old October 18, 2001, 08:14   #5
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Pacal was an important king of Palenque in the 7th century, whose splendid tomb made him especially famous.
I moved Hunak-Ke'el to the leaders list: he was the Mayapan ruler who was victorious over Chichen Itza.
Hunahpu is a more mythical than historical ruler, who is a central figure in the cosmological book "popol vuh". I added him as a possible choice, but I'd prefer Pacal for he is more historical.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:14   #6
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:49
Excellent work. By the way, were you planning to have Chichen Itza as the Mayan capital? It's somewhat unclear. At least it's not a wonder. (Good grief, Activision!)

Also, the "Native American" scenario for CivII listed the Mayan leader as Chaan Muan. I don't know anything more about this person, but merely wanted to bring up the name in case it means anything to anyone else.

Are you handling the Incas next, Wernazuma? What would be thier UU?
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old October 18, 2001, 17:44   #7
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Alexander01
Excellent work. By the way, were you planning to have Chichen Itza as the Mayan capital? It's somewhat unclear. At least it's not a wonder. (Good grief, Activision!)
Yes, I think Chichen Itza should be the Mayan capital. Using cities as wonders is ridiculous IMHO

Quote:
Also, the "Native American" scenario for CivII listed the Mayan leader as Chaan Muan. I don't know anything more about this person, but merely wanted to bring up the name in case it means anything to anyone else.
Chaan Muan was the last ruler of Bonampak in the 8th century. But IMO he was not outstanding compared to several other Mayan rulers

Quote:
Are you handling the Incas next, Wernazuma? What would be thier UU?
I'll start working on the Incans next, though I don't know how much time I have in the next days. I'm not sure about the name of the UU yet, but it should be an "all roads"-unit.
Old October 19, 2001, 09:51   #8
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Okay, I didn't know that. It is indeed not a good idea to have mythical figures as leaders.

As far as the capital goes, the MedMod uses Copan and a Discovery program I recently saw mentioned Tikal as Maya capital. I'm not disputing your choice but why Chicken Pizza...I mean Chichen Itza?

Quote:
Using cities as wonders is ridiculous IMHO
I agree but the same goes for imaginary acadamies (Sun Tzu, Newton), embassies (Marco Polo) and cathedrals (Michelangelo, Bach)...
I'm afraid a lack of knowledge and unwillingness to do some research has spawned way too many of such rediculous ideas, in all incarnations of Civ (except maybe SMAC)...
Old October 19, 2001, 10:13   #9
Marquis de Sodaq
King

I believe some of your dates are off. The Maya can trace their own cities and political development to ~100bc; The classic period in the highlands collapsed in the 9th century; The Toltecs were conquerors, but the lowland Maya as a population were a continuation of the highland culture. The conquerors were assimilated, it appears. Also, Mayan identity is still very strong, even tho they are a political nul on the radar.

While christianity was forced on them, they adopted a synchretous system of beliefs that today melds christianity with Mayan pageantry, dance, and traditional rituals. One cool bit of snubbery to the Spaniards was church building - when the Maya were forced to build a church, they often put a Mayan god in the masonry behind the statues of Jesus or the saints. A representative of the Maya otherworld was actually the one receiving the prayers "directed" at the christian idols. One reason they took so easily to christian symbolism is the similarity between basic elements of the religions. The Maya world tree was represented as a cross (each axis representing the milky way at one of the two new year dates) - even today Mayan "christian" crosses are decorated with traditional world tree symbols. The trinity has a parallel in the 3 stones of creation, which play a vital role in the story of human origins and daily ritual.

18-Rabbit was also a major leader, but his name (due to unclear translation) remains a bit odd to our ears...

Itzam-Na, altho a semi-mythical figure, may be a good choice for leader. He (as his name hints) was the master shaman/king in the Maya histories.

The jaguar warrior is already taken by the Aztecs, but this was also the Maya's elite warrior corps. Maybe a similar unit with a slightly different name. Balam Warrior? (balam=jaguar )

Tikal should be the capitol city, or at lowest second on the list. Chich'en Itza was clearly the central city in the lowland world after the collapse in the south, but Tikal was the cultural center and seat of power for the whole of the first millenium ad. Where did you get the city names from? I see many farther down the list that were in reality major centers, while some above were dinky towns or villages.

Religious/Scientific should be the attribute pairing. The Maya were an important commercial people, but their scientific (particularly math, engineering, and astronomy) accomplishments simply blew away anything anybody else in the americas (and most of the rest of the world, too) came up with.

Most importantly, they invented the hammock, for which I am eternally grateful.

The gift of speech is given to many,
intelligence to few.
Old October 20, 2001, 06:47   #10
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Marquis de Sodaq
I believe some of your dates are off. The Maya can trace their own cities and political development to ~100bc;
Hm, the problem I faced was that there seem to be quite differing views on how long back to trace them. I have to admit that I just thought "one opinion is as good as the other" and followed one. I'll do a little bit more serious research on that. I'm sure that many mayan settlements existed even before 100BC, but it remains the question if they were really "Mayan" before.

Quote:
The classic period in the highlands collapsed in the 9th century; The Toltecs were conquerors, but the lowland Maya as a population were a continuation of the highland culture. The conquerors were assimilated, it appears.
I agree. I thought, I made clear that the Toltecs did not come instead of Mayans or were the culturally dominant group. NTL, one can't deny the influence of the Toltecs in political aspects and architecture.
Quote:
From the late 8th century on, groups from central Mexico started to migrate to Yucatan and Guatemala and destroyed the old Mayan dynasties and lead to a decline of Mayan achievements.
9th cent., just what I said...

Quote:
Also, Mayan identity is still very strong, even tho they are a political nul on the radar.
Right, I ended the history with the end of the caste war for being the last major political act by the Mayans. I'll add a sentence about today's mayan identity.

Quote:
18-Rabbit was also a major leader, but his name (due to unclear translation) remains a bit odd to our ears...
One of the reasons, I did not include those "calendar-names" to the leaders list. I'll include him though.

Quote:
The jaguar warrior is already taken by the Aztecs, but this was also the Maya's elite warrior corps. Maybe a similar unit with a slightly different name. Balam Warrior? (balam=jaguar )
A good idea. A great way to make a differenciation for two identical things. I've added the "Plumed archer" mainly for creating an own mayan UU, though the historical inaccuracies. Will think about it.

Quote:
Tikal should be the capitol city, or at lowest second on the list. Chich'en Itza was clearly the central city in the lowland world after the collapse in the south, but Tikal was the cultural center and seat of power for the whole of the first millenium ad. Where did you get the city names from? I see many farther down the list that were in reality major centers, while some above were dinky towns or villages.
I just copied the city list I've made for Civ2 quite a time ago and removed all towns with spanish names, for "flair"-reasons (so don't look for El Mirador, I know, it's a shame not to have it in, do you know a mayan name for it?) Also I've never been to the region, so I just put the few "most famous" and those that sounded familiar to me on top. Just make you point about the cities you'd like to see more on top and those you want to see more below.

Quote:
Religious/Scientific should be the attribute pairing. The Maya were an important commercial people, but their scientific (particularly math, engineering, and astronomy) accomplishments simply blew away anything anybody else in the americas (and most of the rest of the world, too) came up with.
It's my choice too. I just wanted to let it open for discussion. But it doesn't seem, anyone will challenge it

I'll update the first post later.
Old October 20, 2001, 19:42   #11
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Another unit suggestion is the Eagle or Hawk Warrior. These seemed quite popular too.

Regarding mythological leaders, that hasn't stopped civ before. Amaterasu, Ishtari, Hippolyta, and Dido are all mythological, and Shakala was quite simply invented! So I don't know what the stance on that is.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old October 20, 2001, 20:08   #12
jdd2007
NationStates
King

Local Time: 10:49
on second thought, i support the eagle, or hawk warriors.
Old October 20, 2001, 22:41   #13
Marquis de Sodaq
King

For leader titles, 'Ahaw' means king. 'Itzam' means shaman or religious leader.

A Mayan city list. Most appear in your list, these are the most important sites. Some sites do not have a Mayan name anymore, but still are huge historical sites - Palenque, El Mirador, Piedras Negras, Quirigua, Rio Azul.

Your list has Utatlan, which is actually an Aztec name. The Maya name is Qumaar Kah.

Tikal
Uxmal
Palenque (maybe was called Lakam Nab?)
Chichen Itza
Mayapan
Yaxchilan
Chincultic
Labuntun
Tulum
Seibal
Peten
Kalakmul
Caracol
Altun Ha
Lamanai
Koba
Qumaar Kah (Utatlan)
Bonampak
Can Cun
Cozumel
Ixcaret
Iximche
etc, etc, etc.

intelligence to few.
Old October 21, 2001, 05:30   #14
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Thanks, I made an update for the cities. It's still a bit different from yours, but surely better than before. Just some questions/additions:

Peten: Peten is more an area than a city. The only city with this name is Peten Itza, which is in the list under the name of Tayasal.

Chincultic: Did I miss its importance? From what I know, it's a nice but minor site.

Labuntun: ??? Never heard of...
Old October 21, 2001, 06:02   #15
Rasbelin
Emperor

Anyway, thanks Wernazuma III for posting
such an exclusive and detailed thread.

I'll support your efforts of the Mayans in EP,
if they don't exclude any other good civs.
Old October 22, 2001, 16:14   #16
Marquis de Sodaq
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Wernazuma III
Peten: Peten is more an area than a city. The only city with this name is Peten Itza, which is in the list under the name of Tayasal.

Chincultic: Did I miss its importance? From what I know, it's a nice but minor site.

Labuntun: ??? Never heard of...
Peten: You are correct that it is an area.

Chincultic: High quality artifacts, much for archaeologists - but yes, it is small on the architectural remains. I guess here you can decide for yourself if that qualifies as important...

Labuntun: Your puzzled response left me curious, so I looked into it further. I suspect this may just be footnote quality - that the author puffed up its importance because her primary work is based on this site. I'd say drop it down the list!

intelligence to few.
Old October 22, 2001, 18:03   #17
Wernazuma III
Emperor

Thanks Marquis, your additions were really useful.