Old October 17, 2001, 17:34   #1
Barshy
Warlord

Local Time: 14:49
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Are "spies" just new "diplomats"?
Does anyone know if in Civ3, the abstracted spies are just the upgraded version of the abstracted diplomats?

This question just popped up for me only b/c of the recent editor screen that was posted, in which you can set the experience of spies and diplomats for each government.

I was thinking it'd be better if there were a difference between diplomat functions and spy functions, and each govt would be good at different functions.
Old October 18, 2001, 10:31   #2
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 16:49
Actually there are no spies, at least not as a unit. All espionage is made from a screen, which is different effective in different governments.
Old October 18, 2001, 10:39   #3
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:49
Re: Are "spies" just new "diplomats"?
Quote:
Originally posted by Barshy
I was thinking it'd be better if there were a difference between diplomat functions and spy functions, and each govt would be good at different functions.
The functions are separate. Spying/Espionage take place from an abstracted Espionage screen in the game, and diplomacy is more a function of the Trade screen (I'll give you these resources for this type of treaty, etc.). Based on the editor screenshot we've seen, the ability of various government types to deal with one or the other can be set separately.
Old October 18, 2001, 11:45   #4
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:49
I find it a little odd that your ability to conduct espionage is somehow affected by your government type. I can understand it having a bearing on your security (more democratic, less secure) but being a dictatorship or republic doesn't make your spies more or less competent IMO.
Old October 18, 2001, 13:57   #5
cyril25376
Warlord

I disagree, a dictator will use a lot of police to suppress his citizens. So the spies do have more "training"
Old October 18, 2001, 14:31   #6
Akaoz
Prince

Does anyone know what the factors in espionage will be?

How do I build up my capacity to spy on other civs? Will it be sort of like MoO2?

-Alech
Old October 18, 2001, 14:33   #7
tniem
King

Local Time: 09:49
Quote:
Originally posted by cyril25376
I disagree, a dictator will use a lot of police to suppress his citizens. So the spies do have more "training"
Yeah and well a dictator would also make the populace have more reason to spy against them so there is more to this then your simplistic discription. I think it is all just going to be based on the amount you pay your spies (resources) and how much you use them (experience). The more for both the better your espionage will be.
Old October 18, 2001, 14:56   #8
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I think that how good the spies are should depend on how mush mony you offer them. Now I don't know whether or not you can have x gold each day set to espionage, but I doubt it; something for Civ4.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:03   #9
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
I think that how good the spies are should depend on how mush mony you offer them. Now I don't know whether or not you can have x gold each day set to espionage, but I doubt it; something for Civ4.
Or just not.

I want civ to be civ, I don't want it to be Space Empires.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:19   #10
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Or just not.

Make it this way then:

Make some advances that increase the power of espionage, and some that increase the protection against espionage.
Old October 18, 2001, 15:25   #11
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:49
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba

Or just not.

Hey, if SE has an innovative way method for turn based play - by all means Firaxis, please incorporate it! Don't be shy. DOn't get into that whole "pride of originality" thing. It ain't Mozart, its a game. Make it good.

Don't worry Fab, it'll still be Civ, so much will be obvious when you're negotiating with the Russians as opposed to the Eee (although, a cool mod might be to add the Eee as a civ, hmmm ...)
Old October 18, 2001, 15:32   #12
Gramphos
staff
Technical Director

Forgot to ask:
Is there a game named Space Empires?
(If so: I've never heard of it)