Old February 22, 2000, 18:06   #1
Volospin
Settler

Local Time: 00:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Using gif images
I have a question about the usage of gif files that one can download from a myriad of places on the internet. How do I use these files effectively in the game. Some of them come in bigger files than the in game editor is used to, so many icons (units etc) are left out, or cut in two. How do I effectively use these files, or how do I change them to make them usable. Thanks!
Old February 22, 2000, 18:37   #2
Paul Hanson
King

Local Time: 01:04
How do you mean? You could cut and paste parts from said .gif files, but without more info I don`t know if I`m being of any help or not.
Old February 22, 2000, 18:40   #3
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:34
Volospin,

These 'hand-made' graphics available by independent authors off the web generally come in two formats - straight out graphics files that are collections for scenario / modpack use (such as allflags.gif) or scenario files themselves, each serve a different intent.

Graphic Collections such as those found at sites such as csc.apolyton.net/icons.shtml are designed so you can select an icon image within the larger graphic collection to be copied and pasted over the existing Civ2 file. They are not designed to substitute for the Civ2 files per se, but just to be used for isolating individual icons to be pasted over the top.

You have found some graphics with blank spaces. These are probably scenario files where the scenario in question does not use the specific wonder of the world, city improvement, city style, flag, unit, etc. In order to avoid confusion, some scenario authors remove superfluous images from within their scenario's graphic files.

Please find the following link to the Scenario League's Design Tips section that looks at a few guidelines on 'art and graphics';
sleague.apolyton.net/Guides/sldt_sort_group.shtml

Remember, when manipulating such files, don't overwrite the original Civ2 graphics - copy and paste icons.gif, cities.gif, people.gif, units.gif, or whatever into a different folder.

Which graphics program do you use?