Old October 18, 2001, 17:47   #1
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:51
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Another Gamespot Article
This quote should be of interest.

Quote:
Related diplomatic changes include the need to pay money to establish embassies, as well as the elimination of diplomats and spies in favor of an intelligence agency improvement that enables spying activities.
http://gamespot.com/gamespot/stories...818446,00.html
Old October 18, 2001, 17:59   #2
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:51
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Is it just me or do gamespot consistently have more information on site than anywhere else, including the offical site?

Are they allowed to release this much?
Old October 18, 2001, 18:07   #3
Ralf
King

Local Time: 15:51
Quote from Gamespot:

Quote:
There are 10 small wonders and 24 great wonders, with most of the recognizable names from the first two games (such as The Colossus, Magellan's Voyage, J.S. Bach's Cathedral, Hoover Dam, and the Manhattan Project, to name a few) making a reappearance.
As above really true? I thought it was 12 Big Wonders and 24 small ones?
Old October 18, 2001, 18:07   #4
SteveJH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Is it just me or do gamespot consistently have more information on site than anywhere else, including the offical site?

Are they allowed to release this much?
Seeing as how this all before the Oct. 22nd limit as well I'm willing to bet they have some sort of deal with Infogrames.
Old October 18, 2001, 18:09   #5
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:51
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
On one of the article pages is a screenshot about smart weapons.

It says that precisions strikes can be done only by Stealth units and the F-15s

Now this could mean one of two things - The F15 has a special ability to be able to do precision strikes. This will be great if it doesn't have any other advantages ( like range etc ) otherwise it will be unfair on everyone else as all other unique units have had only one advantage.

Or it could mean that the F-15 instead of being based on the jet aircraft is based on the stealth fighter. I hope this is not the case as it is unrealistic in terms of invention progression and it would mean the americans are the only civ with a UU not obsolete at the end of the game.

If it's the first option though thats pretty damn cool.
Old October 18, 2001, 18:11   #6
Pggar
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 11:51
Quote:
Originally posted by Ralf

As above really true? I thought it was 12 Big Wonders and 24 small ones?
I think that was a mistake.

Another interesting info: capturing settlers gives you two workers.
Old October 18, 2001, 18:17   #7
SteveJH
Warlord

This is interesting as well...

Quote:
The old Senate that interfered with decisions in republics and democracies has been eliminated, but the war weariness model takes government type into account and provides a similar constraint to decision-making in these societies.
I hope this is better than the "flip a coin" type desicions the senate made. That was very annoying when they invaded you, got a couple of cities, then asked for a cease fire to regroup.
Old October 18, 2001, 18:45   #8
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 08:51
Several interesting things. Including if you capture a Settler it becomes two workers. Unfornately this one of the ways I planned on expanding. Well I guess I will just have to settle for a large amount of free workers.

Also wartime weariness. Which consists of having your troops in enemy territory, having enemy troops in your territory, engaging in battles, and goverment type. The Senate has been removed, but the wartime weariness will be heavier on Repbublics and Democracies which will make it more diffcult to wage war.
Old October 18, 2001, 18:54   #9
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

u guys may want to check this page, it has 4 new movies!!!!!!!
Old October 18, 2001, 19:07   #10
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 10:51
DUH guys, didn't u read the intro to yesterdays info? its CIV3 WEEK theyr giving new **** every day!
Old October 18, 2001, 19:09   #11
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
DUH guys, didn't u read the intro to yesterdays info? its CIV3 WEEK theyr giving new **** every day!
No, I didn't. Hurray!
Old October 18, 2001, 19:23   #12
connorkimbro
Emperor

also, some cool new screenshots

-theonion.com
Old October 18, 2001, 19:23   #13
fluxcapacitor
Warlord

Got two movies far. Horrible res on them, but they do give us an idea of how cool the sound is...
Old October 18, 2001, 20:26   #14
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Wow I love Gamespot almost as much as I love Firaxis, this is great stuff! I sooo cannot wait until October 30th for the this game. If I have to drive up to Hunt Valley to get it, I will!

Oh and does anyone else notice that Apolyton abbreviates Gamepost, Gspot sorry, I'm wrong...
Old October 18, 2001, 21:12   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:51
Local Date: November 1, 2010
LOL Lorizael!

I like this situation just fine. Gamespot puts new information up, lots of people go to Gamespot and read the new information, and then lots of people go back to Apolyton and put the new information up here I have my own perfect lazy world!!
Old October 18, 2001, 21:21   #16
d_dudy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pggar

I think that was a mistake.

Another interesting info: capturing settlers gives you two workers.
so they'll be like the NONE settlers of past? that would be awesome if you had two workers you didn't have to support.

i always saved my extra settler for work all game
Old October 18, 2001, 21:24   #17
SteveJH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by d_dudy

so they'll be like the NONE settlers of past? that would be awesome if you had two workers you didn't have to support.

i always saved my extra settler for work all game
That brings up another interesting point. Since they did away with supporting with shields, do we still need to support settlers with food? Actually, I believe they said they did away with home cities all together, which means we would only support settlers/workers with gold.
Old October 18, 2001, 21:58   #18
Pggar
Warlord

Local Time: 11:51
In the article is said that ZOC have been eliminated. Is this for real? AFAIK only ancient units lost their ZOC.
Old October 18, 2001, 22:03   #19
SteveJH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Pggar
In the article is said that ZOC have been eliminated. Is this for real? AFAIK only ancient units lost their ZOC.
Hmm, I must of missed that part of the article. I read somewhere that ZOC now had to do with movement, but this may have chagned. Maybe the reviewer just didn't notice it and assumed it was out?
Old October 18, 2001, 22:16   #20
Falconius
Prince

Local Time: 09:51
Quote:
Originally posted by SteveJH
Maybe the reviewer just didn't notice it and assumed it was out?
I think the reviewer missed a lot of things. He got the Wonder numbers all mixed up, and that ZOC info seems to be wrong. Last we heard was that units with more than one movement had a ZOC.

One piece of interesting news (assuming it's right): Rivers run around spaces, not through them. This would mean units can't use them like roads anymore. I'll miss that feature.
Old October 18, 2001, 22:19   #21
Howling Chip
Chieftain

I like the feature that "When you move a settler unit, you're shown the effect that building a city in that particular square would have on your national boundaries."

In SMAC, I found it a little annoying to try to estimate via squares where to place the city to maximize effect with the AI player's boundary, or how to maximize a particular terrain attribute acquisition I was after. It was very annoying when I would estimate wrong.

I know boundaries and true resource squares in CIV III will play differently from SMAC, but I expect there will be times when I will appreciate this little feature when deciding where to place the city.
Old October 18, 2001, 22:20   #22
SteveJH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Falconius

I think the reviewer missed a lot of things. He got the Wonder numbers all mixed up, and that ZOC info seems to be wrong. Last we heard was that units with more than one movement had a ZOC.

One piece of interesting news (assuming it's right): Rivers run around spaces, not through them. This would mean units can't use them like roads anymore. I'll miss that feature.
Hmmm, that's interesting because I remember in another thread people were discussing how a river gave access to a resource as well as a road, this information was gathered from a screenshot. Perhaps both tiles around a river get this benefit?
Old October 18, 2001, 22:30   #23
Gyromancer
Prince

Local Time: 09:51
Quote:

That brings up another interesting point. Since they did away with supporting with shields, do we still need to support settlers with food? Actually, I believe they said they did away with home cities all together, which means we would only support settlers/workers with gold.
Yup, the article mentions that there is no more food upkeep for settlers. (Finally, a rule change that actually helps the Republic... )
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness... T. Jefferson "The Declaration of Independence"
Old October 18, 2001, 22:41   #24
Stuie
King

Quote:
This is interesting as well...

Quote:
The old Senate that interfered with decisions in republics and democracies has been eliminated, but the war weariness model takes government type into account and provides a similar constraint to decision-making in these societies.
I hope this is better than the "flip a coin" type desicions the senate made. That was very annoying when they invaded you, got a couple of cities, then asked for a cease fire to regroup.
It would be nice if this kinda sorta mirrored what happens in EU, with discontent increasing at a certain rate based on government type as wars drag on and on and on. That would force the player to make adjustments based on the government type instead of the government type inflicting decisions on the player.