Old October 18, 2001, 19:13   #1
Gangerolf
Prince

Local Time: 15:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Crowded Middle East
It's getting crowded down there in the eastern Mediterranean/Middle East now...

We already have:

Greeks
Babylonians
Egyptians
Persians

And these are proposed for an expansion pack:

Phoenicians
Hebrews
Turks
Arabs
Byzantines

That is 9 civs from the same region. Now, on a random map this isn't a problem. But on a world map the civs starting in this area would get little land to expand on, and many civs would be destroyed early in the game.

This makes me think that an expansion pack wouldn't include more than 1 or 2 civs from that region (Arabs and Phoenicians preferably ), and that XP civs to a greater degree will be chosen on basis of geography.
In Civ3-worldmap-game-play terms, more civs are needed in the Americas, Africa and the Pacific, not in the Middle East region IMO. Any thoughts?
Old October 18, 2001, 19:14   #2
Gangerolf
Prince

Here's a map to set things in perspective:
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	gsa.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	4412  
Old October 18, 2001, 20:16   #3
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:52
I whole-heartedly agree.

That's probably why Firaxis didn't include the others in the first place. On the other hand, they could keep the civ limit at 16 instead of 32 to avoid that, or make a really big middle east map, or just increase the world map to the point where the middle east civs can get along, and it will be 1485 before any other civs even meet.

Still... imagine this:

World Map, 16 civs. Players include:

Babylon
Persia
Egypt
Ethiopia
Greece
Rome
Byzantium
Phoenicia
Israel
Spain
India
Russia
Turkey
Arabia

and dunno, France & Germany? One big Mediterranean mishap.

Chaos. Complete and Absolute.

But maybe that's why some civers play the game at all.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old October 18, 2001, 23:21   #4
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 09:52
I propose we ditch Hebrew, Byzantine, and Phoenician (replace with Carthaginians )

Hebrew are important religiously, but to civilization...

Byzantine are an offshoot of the Greeks and Romans. Period.

Carthaginian would add another much needed African civ and balance out the mediterranean.

But this is only my opinion. Thoughts?

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 19, 2001, 00:12   #5
Alexander I
staff
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationCivilization IV CreatorsCivilization IV: MultiplayerPolyCast Team

Local Time: 08:52
I agree to an extent.

Byzantium is redundant. Interesting, but too Greco-Roman. Too many civs in one place.

Phoenicians have a chance, but need AI revamping (compared to CivII AI). Perhaps Maritime Civ Attrbiute. Lots of colonies on islands and coasts around the sea. Like real life.

Israel. Come on, who hasn't wanted to pull a David v. Goliath on a global scale? Just for kicks.

Perhaps if we dumped the Arabs or Turks (keep one, drop the other) because a lot of Turkish stuff was Arabian, and was simply subjugated.

This leaves:

Greeks
Babylonians
Egyptians
Persians

And these are proposed for an expansion pack:

Phoenicians
Israelites
Turks OR Arabs
Ethiopians

It still makes Levant/Palestine a powderkeg, but there's realism for you. And not quite so congested.
The Kingdom of Jerusalem: Chronicles of the Golden Cross - a Crusader Kings After Action Report
Old October 19, 2001, 09:32   #6
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 16:52
Well, I don't think there's a real problem since you can only play with 8 civs at a time. Yes, 'unofficially' it's 16 but it remains to be seen how well that will work out. Either way, it should be fairly uncommon to have more than 4 civs from the ME in an average wold map scenario if you have 32 civs to choose from...

BTW, looking at Gangerolf's map, some minor changes could be made to make the area less crowded: make Persia start further to the east (near Kerman/Ormuz or even further east), Egypt slightly further to the south (near Luxor/Aswan), Turkey further to the west (near Ankara/Trabzon or even near Georgia), Arabs further southeast (in Yemen). Some of these changes might reduce historic accuracy slightly but on a fairly large map they could make a big difference in terms of gameplay.
Old October 19, 2001, 09:56   #7
Rosacrux
Warlord

Local Time: 14:52
Israelis are definitely not worth to be included into the game - they are historicaly insignificant and the only product of their civ that had any impact out of their boundaries, was ...yes... Judeo-christianism

On a more playfull note, If included in the expansion pack,the Israelis (but you should call them "Jewish" then) could start off from... Hollywood... or New York

That would add to gameplay balance
Old October 19, 2001, 12:14   #8
Gangerolf
Prince

Quote:
Well, I don't think there's a real problem since you can only play with 8 civs at a time. Yes, 'unofficially' it's 16 but it remains to be seen how well that will work out. Either way, it should be fairly uncommon to have more than 4 civs from the ME in an average wold map scenario if you have 32 civs to choose from...
Yes, it's not necessarily a problem if you can freely choose the civs you want to play against. But I don't think an expansion pack will contain this many ME civs. Looking at how Firaxis has chosen civs earlier (Iroquois, Zulus ), expansion pack civs will probably (hopefully?) be quite geographically spread and unexpected (smaller civs/tribes). I'm just guessing, of course
Old October 19, 2001, 13:18   #9
orange
Civilization III Democracy GameNationStatesDiplomacyApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
What are you talking about? It's 16 at a time at most, not 8

I would definitely put Arabs in over Turks, and Carthage over Phoenicians, and ditch the Israelis completely.

The Persians would start near Persepolis, would they not

"I was hoping for a Communist utopia that would last forever." - Imran Siddiqui
Old October 20, 2001, 04:31   #10
The Templar
Prince

There really is too much in the middle east.
Carthaginains would be good for balancing out Africa. But -

Indonesians would balance out pacific (I know, they're not that old and fairly fragmented ... yada yada yada)

Argentina/Incas would actually put something in South America. Again, I know the Argentines are also new, but so what? Post colonial civs are woefully underrepresented.
Old October 20, 2001, 05:47   #11
Eli
Civ4 SP Democracy GamePtWDG Vox ControliC4DG VoxCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton Team
Emperor

Local Time: 17:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Locutus
BTW, looking at Gangerolf's map, some minor changes could be made to make the area less crowded: make Persia start further to the east (near Kerman/Ormuz or even further east), Egypt slightly further to the south (near Luxor/Aswan), Turkey further to the west (near Ankara/Trabzon or even near Georgia), Arabs further southeast (in Yemen). Some of these changes might reduce historic accuracy slightly but on a fairly large map they could make a big difference in terms of gameplay.
2-3 squares wont make a difference.
Old October 20, 2001, 12:29   #12
St Leo
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationApolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 10:52
But on a world map the civs starting in this area would get little land to expand on, and many civs would be destroyed early in the game.

Great, early combat.
Old October 20, 2001, 14:41   #13
Jer8m8
Warlord

If you need something in the Pacific, try the Polynesians. They're an old civ and were able to cross the pacific many years before Europe
Old October 21, 2001, 03:01   #14
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 00:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
But where would the Polynesians start? On an island in the middle of the Pacific somewhere. They would be stuck with one city until they developed navigation or map making or whatever the first good naval unit is that doesn't get destroyed in oceans.
Old October 21, 2001, 03:23   #15
KrazyHorse
Deity

Local Time: 10:52
Give the Polynesians a [insert name of polynesian oceangoing vessel here] as a CSU. Make its tech requirement extremely low (or preferrably null).
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 21, 2001, 05:08   #16
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
But where would the Polynesians start? On an island in the middle of the Pacific somewhere. They would be stuck with one city until they developed navigation or map making or whatever the first good naval unit is that doesn't get destroyed in oceans.
And this isn't a problem for the English? How about this - the indonesians or polynesians start out on an island, but its a bunch of islands so close together that units treat then as connected (Civ2's south pacific had alot of islands like this).