Old October 19, 2001, 02:25   #1
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 10:52
Local Date: October 31, 2010
"Your Palace, Sire..."
I never played Civ1- please explain to me what exactly the palace does, or rather, what determines how it morphs through the ages?
Old October 19, 2001, 02:31   #2
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:52
Local Date: November 1, 2010
It's merely decorative. Like the throne room in Civ2.

Basically every so often you get to choose to 'upgrade' a part of it, like the road, or towers, or the sides of the roads. Each section of the road/roadside had 3-4 possible upgrades, the palace-palace had 3-4 possible upgrades in 3 different styles.

It didn't evolve throughout the ages, other than bits you chose to upgrade.
Old October 19, 2001, 02:41   #3
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Cool- thanx

I like the interactive part of the whole idea
Old October 19, 2001, 03:49   #4
Chuckles
King

Local Time: 06:52
The palace screen rocked. I am very happy they are bringing back this simple yet rewarding feature.
Old October 19, 2001, 04:08   #5
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 03:52
Yes, the palace screen was a very nice feature of Civ1. In comparison the Civ2 throne room sucked. (I wouldn't particullary want a throne myself... it's a bit too... royal... and not... (evil) mastermindly enough for me)

And the CTP equivilant was godawfully awful. In fact it was so awful I forgot CTP had one until a friend reminded me....
Old October 19, 2001, 04:11   #6
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

Local Time: 16:52
I hope the palace will appear in your city view the way it is !
That would be cool !
Old October 19, 2001, 04:23   #7
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:52
Yes, that throne looked *really* uncomfortable. The best looking throne-room IMHO was when you had all the 'improvements' at level 3. Except the royal carpet thing, that looked good on the final (level 4) setting
Apologies if i lost anyone with that fairly bad description

And speaking of bad, what exactly was the CTP equivilant??
Old October 19, 2001, 04:28   #8
Sarxis
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
And speaking of bad, what exactly was the CTP equivilant??
Differing sizes of camper equipment: pup tent; 4 man tent; pop-up trailer camper; modest mobile home; the White House (hey- it qualifies as a 'temporary residence'! )
Old October 19, 2001, 04:51   #9
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:52
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Ctp gave us a half assed town square effort.

Of the throne room did anyone else leave the throne it'self the first step after chair for as long as possible? ( the throne with steps ) the big red eyesore was a bit weird.
Old October 19, 2001, 05:26   #10
Panzer
Warlord

Local Time: 15:52
I always upgraded my throne to the one with the steps. The red one was one ugly piece of ****. I always liked the white marble throneroom the best, with the lv 4 carpet of course.
Old October 19, 2001, 05:39   #11
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

I'm very happy about the palace. I always played CivI with it on, but CivII with the throne room off. It was also nice that you had different palace styles, but only one throne room.

Now, we will have to wait another couple of weeks for CivIII. I suggest that everyone that hasn't played CivI go out and get it. It has som neat feature that disappeared from CivII.

btw, I liked the city square! That and the PW. As for the rest... hmmm...
Old October 19, 2001, 06:04   #12
Grumbold
Emperor

The city square had the same fault as the throne room, i.e. every upgrade was the ssame every time. The great thing about the Civ palace is you could build the full Castle, Taj Mahal or Acropolis style building or mix and match castle walls with classical towers and central Onion domes if that took your fancy. A slightly different palace every time.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:35   #13
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Earthling7
I'm very happy about the palace. I always played CivI with it on, but CivII with the throne room off. It was also nice that you had different palace styles, but only one throne room.

Now, we will have to wait another couple of weeks for CivIII. I suggest that everyone that hasn't played CivI go out and get it. It has som neat feature that disappeared from CivII.

btw, I liked the city square! That and the PW. As for the rest... hmmm...

Where excactly can I get CivI for PC?? It's only a couple of years ago that I tried to boot my antique Amiga to play it.. but the disk drive was faulty.

Fred
Old October 19, 2001, 06:39   #14
Mankind
Warlord

Re: "Your Palace, Sire..."
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
I never played Civ1
Than what are you waiting for???? no one will play it for you go and play it yourself

seriously... play civ1 and find out how deep is the rabbit hole

Last edited by Mankind; October 19, 2001 at 06:44.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:43   #15
Robert Plomp
admin
DiploGamesBtS Tri-LeaguePolyCast TeamC4WDG Team Apolyton
Administrator

I still do not understand why they didn't intergrate the throne room with the diplomacy screen.

It would be much cooler if you would welcome guests in your throne room, and you would be welcomed in the throne room of your enemies.

That way you can see how much your enemies are loved by their civilians. And it makes more sence to improve your throne room. I always turned the option off.
Old October 19, 2001, 06:58   #16
Sarxis
Emperor

Re: Re: "Your Palace, Sire..."
Quote:
Originally posted by Mankind

Than what are you waiting for???? no one will play it for you go and play it yourself

seriously... play civ1 and find out how deep is the rabbit hole
I probably would, but I just have too many other games to play right now, and I don't think I could stomach those graphics anymore.

I did have a console emulator ROM of it though... somewhere around here...
Old October 19, 2001, 07:03   #17
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Oh yeah, the throne room was ugly, boring and always turned off. ok, I have to admit, in Civ1 the palace screen was also turned off, but it was only turned of because of one thing...I had to change disks everytime I wanted to see the palace (Pretty annoying ). I just hope they don't ship the game with 2 CDs and having to change CD just to view the palace

Oh, and by the way, the few times I "used" the palace, it was really great, can't wait to see my palace again
Old October 19, 2001, 07:12   #18
Mankind
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
Oh yeah, the throne room was ugly, boring and always turned off. ok, I have to admit, in Civ1 the palace screen was also turned off, but it was only turned of because of one thing...I had to change disks everytime I wanted to see the palace (Pretty annoying ). I just hope they don't ship the game with 2 CDs and having to change CD just to view the palace

Oh, and by the way, the few times I "used" the palace, it was really great, can't wait to see my palace again
That reminds me continuous changes of floppy disks in my old' AMIGA.... this former times.... I will never forget it uh huh :*)
Old October 19, 2001, 07:18   #19
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Mankind
That reminds me continuous changes of floppy disks in my old' AMIGA.... this former times.... I will never forget it uh huh :*)
I wont forget it eather...those good ol' Amiga days...they got even better the day I bought another disk drive to my Amiga
Old October 19, 2001, 07:23   #20
Father Beast
King

Local Time: 07:52
"The Cave"
That's what I called my throne room. never turned it off, though.

except of course on deity + levels when it upgrades every turn, even when I'm about to be conquered.

I was just about to point out that Horsie is simply making excuses in advance for why he will suck at Civ III...
...but Father Beast beat me to it! - Randomturn
Old October 19, 2001, 07:29   #21
0:) Innocence
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by ADG
I wont forget it eather...those good ol' Amiga days...they got even better the day I bought another disk drive to my Amiga
Oh yes - it was released on four 720 kb disks. I actually managed to fit all the files on just three disk, so that with two floppy drives I never had to swap disks once disk1 had loaded

The single feature I missed the most in CivII was the Replay where you got a fast-forward presentation of how your civ evolved from the very beginning to the end. As far as I've been informed this feature is back in CivIII and I can hardly wait to see it again
Old October 19, 2001, 07:42   #22
Mankind
Warlord

About loam me memory did not wash disc 3 was necessary only in final phase of game [replay etc. ] and perhaps I make a mistake

Yes Amiga times..... it was someting.... . civilisation, colonizaion [north & south ] ok enought of old'times.

that was off-topic .... but ...
Old October 19, 2001, 07:54   #23
Adagio
staff
Spore
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by 0 Innocence
Oh yes - it was released on four 720 kb disks. I actually managed to fit all the files on just three disk, so that with two floppy drives I never had to swap disks once disk1 had loaded
3 disks, cool

Quote:
Originally posted by 0 Innocence
The single feature I missed the most in CivII was the Replay where you got a fast-forward presentation of how your civ evolved from the very beginning to the end. As far as I've been informed this feature is back in CivIII and I can hardly wait to see it again
That one is in again Can't wait to finish my first game...Just to see the replay feature again
Old October 19, 2001, 08:58   #24
Provost Harrison
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV PBEMPolyCast Team
Deity

Oh yeah, I remember civ back on my old Atari ST, it used to be on 3 disks IIRC. It was so damn slow though because I remember buying my first PC in 1995 and, of course, buying Civ, and it was amazing just how much faster it worked. It was heaven

But what I would think would be nice is if the grandeur of your palace had an effect on the rate of culture generation by it. That would be cool!

"It's not twinned with anywhere, but it does have a suicide pact with Dagenham" - Linda Smith
Old October 19, 2001, 09:19   #25
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:52
I remember playing Civ 1 on my Tandy 1000, it was soooo slow...
I started a new game on the world map, and even then it went throught the entire intro thing before the game could begin. Once i got a 486, that same map loaded almost instantly At least both of them had harddrives though. No disk-swapping
Old October 19, 2001, 09:27   #26
Grumbold
Emperor

Ahh yes, the anticipation building as the world generator slowly showed you the solar system coalescing and your new world forming. It seems amazing now that the wait didn't have us tearing our hair out in frustration. We truly have become impatient for instant gratification* with the speed of modern life

* not applicable to anyone who doesn't think this fits them.
Old October 19, 2001, 10:05   #27
Mankind
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
Ahh yes, the anticipation building as the world generator slowly showed you the solar system coalescing and your new world forming. It seems amazing now that the wait didn't have us tearing our hair out in frustration. We truly have become impatient for instant gratification* with the speed of modern life

* not applicable to anyone who doesn't think this fits them.

And I have english civ1 and ripped polish version of civ1! (all on Amiga)
[there even is Poland as civ -kick for France- city names changed from France to Polish.... and game was more funny becose of it { News-paper form -Inscriptions became changed ]
Old October 19, 2001, 10:11   #28
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:52
IIRC, you can download Civ1 for windows at www.bhlegend.com
Old October 20, 2001, 00:13   #29
tniem
King

Local Time: 09:52
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
I remember playing Civ 1 on my Tandy 1000, it was soooo slow...
I started a new game on the world map, and even then it went throught the entire intro thing before the game could begin. Once i got a 486, that same map loaded almost instantly At least both of them had harddrives though. No disk-swapping
For me, it sometimes took up to a half hour to start a new game. The whole save and restart cheat never ever was possible in my Civ I experience.
Old October 20, 2001, 00:43   #30
Sarxis
Emperor

Thanx ixnay