Old October 19, 2001, 15:52   #61
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Local Time: 07:53
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by sekong
Wait a minute. It reminds me something. Dan run the game all the way to industry age, without a Great Leader?? Boy is it that hard to get one??
Probably just a lot QUICKER to cheat it in than to wait for it to occur naturally. We wouldn't want Dan to have to save-screen on every turn he plays on every (gold-version) game, would we? He'd have no time to post here!
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 19, 2001, 15:56   #62
Peter Triggs
CTP2 Source Code ProjectCivilization IV Creators
King

Local Time: 14:53
Quote:
Jeff was explaining why lots of ideas they had about the editing tools were not done since they werent sure that that was the stuff mod-makers want. or something like that
Mark, I read more into it than this. What Jeff said, in more detail, was:
Quote:
The editors in Civilization III are only the beginning. Based on feedback from the mod and scenario community we will make additional improvements and incorporate new features. The editors are just tools, ones that the fan community needs to make meaningful by creating new scenarios with. As those in the 'trenches' of creating new content run into limitations, we'll work on eradicating those barriers. Firaxis is very interested in Civilization III having an active mod community, but need to know where our efforts are best spent. Together we can make Civilization III a potent platform for not only exploring factual history, but also your creativity and interests.
Now consider the following from the 'Conflicts in Civilization' instruction manual:

Quote:
Building scenarios with the original Civilization II tools, the designers ran into several limitations that frustrated their creativity. Their reaction was to install a primitive - but rather useful - macro language that allowed them to add "events" to the game.
I hope I'm drawing the right conclusion.
Old October 19, 2001, 15:59   #63
Jaybe
Mac
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie
... my question as to the size of the world map in the screenshot of the week. Someone guessed 100x100 - can this be verified by a Firaxian?
I am having a problem visualizing how these world maps are of equal dimensions -- they 'look' WAY too long, and this would not be due to the grid orientation.
I play BtS (3.19) -- Noble or Prince, Rome, marathon speed, huge hemispheres (2 of them), aggressive AI, no tech brokering. I enjoy the Hephmod Beyond mod. For all non-civ computer uses, including internet, I use a Mac.
Old October 19, 2001, 16:08   #64
dennis580
Warlord

Local Time: 08:53
Dan can you confirm if we can blockade oversea trade routes.
Old October 19, 2001, 17:54   #65
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Dennis:
Dan can you confirm if we can blockade oversea trade routes.
I always thought the blockades were in.
Old October 19, 2001, 18:00   #66
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin

I always thought the blockades were in.
I haven't heard anything about blockades... but I know trade embargos are in.
Old October 19, 2001, 18:28   #67
The diplomat
King

Local Time: 08:53
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Once you have nationalism, you can draft population (effectively converting population into soldiers). Depending on your technology level, you'll get anything from a Spearman to an Infantry unit when drafting.

How many times you can draft in a city each turn depends on your government type: Republics can draft 1 per city per turn, Democracy 2, Communism 3. Anarchies can't use the draft.

Your citizens aren't too keen on being drafted, though, so this causes unhappiness. The turn penalty setting in the editor determines how long they'll stay mad at you for using the draft.

Dan
Wow. "Draft" sounds like a variation on my "recruitment system". This is incredible news. Thank you Firaxis! I think you made my civ dreams come true.
'There is a greater darkness than the one we fight. It is the darkness of the soul that has lost its way. The war we fight is not against powers and principalities, it is against chaos and despair. Greater than the death of flesh is the death of hope, the death of dreams. Against this peril we can never surrender. The future is all around us, waiting, in moments of transition, to be born in moments of revelation. No one knows the shape of that future or where it will take us. We know only that it is always born in pain.'"
G'Kar - from Babylon 5 episode "Z'ha'dum"
Old October 19, 2001, 19:43   #68
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by sekong
Wait a minute. It reminds me something. Dan run the game all the way to industry age, without a Great Leader?? Boy is it that hard to get one??
Dan's been known to play the peacenik (damn hippies ), winning through expanding culture and diplomacy. Can't get a great leader if your winning through peaceful means.
Old October 19, 2001, 20:28   #69
Takeshi
Warlord

Hey, I want to send to Dan & Firaxis a *real* box of cookies. Does anyone know the address?
Old October 19, 2001, 21:51   #70
ml_4da3
Warlord

Local Time: 15:53
Quote:
Originally posted by drake

Since you mention that theres such a large map being used.....

Does anyone know the city limit? Hope its not at 255 as in 2.

huge maps are rendered worthless without a more liberal number of cities allowed.
..he he.. (btw; hi drake!)

Yes, too bad if the civ III MP games on gigamaps will end up like our civ II MP gigamap game did [1].. .. ...

-----

Anyway, this is my guess:

Biggest "official" map in Civ II: 75*120 = 9000 (sq.)
Biggest "official" (AFAIK) map in Civ III: 180*180 = 32400 (sq.)

The city limit in Civ II: 255
The city limit in Civ III: Unknown

If we assume the creators of Civ III make the game in such a way that it is possible to play on the biggest "official" map without the city limit beeing too much of a trouble, one can rougly calculate an "theroetical" "minimum-maximum" number of cities:

9000/255 ~ 35.3
32400/numberOfCities ~ 35.3

->

32400/35.3 ~ 917.8

(advaced mathematics, huh?).

My guess is that the citylimit will at least be around the thousand (1023 perhaps?). (10 bits).. ..or perhaps they make it 2 bytes ? (65535) (but that would use waaay too much RAM?)..

..Anyway, with the biggest map beeing 180*180, we can probably safely assume the city limit will be higher than in Civ II..

(Now, the only thing that worries me is the extremely low RAM-requirements of the game)..

/magnus

[1] after only a few thousand years, i think it was around 480 AD, the city limit was reached, while most of the map was "uncolonized".. Also, one civ managed to "take" the most of the "cake".. (i wonder who...?). ..the limit made the game unbalanced, and ..booring.. (for the most of the players).. so the game was put on hold.

Last edited by ml_4da3; October 19, 2001 at 22:42.
Old October 19, 2001, 21:56   #71
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:53
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Takeshi
Hey, I want to send to Dan & Firaxis a *real* box of cookies. Does anyone know the address?
LOL Nice try!!

Dan, thanks for all the info Excellent update too
Old October 19, 2001, 22:18   #72
BorderPatrol
Chieftain

The Editor Screenshot
Excellent! Glad to see that screenshot. Would it be possible to also post screenshots showing the other tabs besides the general settings? I am particularly interested in seeing what selctions are available under diplomats and spies. In Civ II multiplayer games it is very common to have a rule of no bribing cities and units or just no bribing cities. It would be really cool if this were something you could just turn off with the editor. Thanks for the update!

Last edited by BorderPatrol; October 19, 2001 at 22:24.
Old October 19, 2001, 23:44   #73
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:53
ahem, i don't see New Zealand on the map, isn't that a bit ridiculous? our land mass is bigger than all of UK combined. Come on, we ARE a country, and a good one at that too.
Old October 20, 2001, 00:51   #74
SITS
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Takeshi
Er, that might not be a good idea in the current climate....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 20, 2001, 04:29   #75
Fiil
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
ahem, i don't see New Zealand on the map, isn't that a bit ridiculous? our land mass is bigger than all of UK combined. Come on, we ARE a country, and a good one at that too.
I see your point!
But it was in civ2 and this map is bigger, I don't see any reason why it shouldn't be there.
Old October 20, 2001, 04:42   #76
Rasbelin
Emperor

Local Time: 16:53
Quote:
Originally posted by SITS

Headlines tomorrow: "Anthrax from Canada?",
"Anthrax - typical Canadian joke?", "Crazy Canadian sends
Anthrax cookies to US", "All the bad things come from Canada", ...

Old October 20, 2001, 07:51   #77
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

I don't know if this already have been said, but it is an error on the main page. The Impi unit is linked to "civofweek.cfm" and not "civoftheweek.cfm". Dan, fix the bug :doitnow:.
Old October 20, 2001, 07:59   #78
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

And the Ask the Civ team dropdown box can't take you to the current edition.

*Separating civ3.com to pieces*
Old October 20, 2001, 12:34   #79
Grim Leaper
Chieftain

Quote:
I don't see why New Zealand should be on the map. So what if it's bigger than UK, who wants an island which doesn't have any native mammels anyway. Poor excuse for an country, i say.

PS
Thankyou Dan, and all of Firaxis. Don't stop now, your nearly there.
Old October 20, 2001, 16:13   #80
BorderPatrol
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by SITS

Kinda like the sample box of laundry detergent that I was sent in the mail today. I was like, grrrrrr, poor timing.
Old October 22, 2001, 07:23   #81
Deathwalker
Prince

So there still saying the UK will get Civ3 at the same time as the US, but how come none of the shops are saying that?
Old October 22, 2001, 09:49   #82
Adm.Naismith
King

Well, it seems we get more game info from this post alone than from a regular AskTheCivTeam edition on official site.

Thanks Dan Magaha, very nice explanation of new game features and rules; now, how about a new area of the www.civ3.com named "AskTheDan" ?

It will be greatly appreciated (highest hit rate of the site, probably). Dan, you should ride this horse before the game release will spoil you of most of your "info power"!
"We are reducing all the complexity of billions of people over 6000 years into a Civ box. Let me say: That's not only a PkZip effort....it's a real 'picture to Jpeg heavy loss in translation' kind of thing."
- Admiral Naismith
Old October 22, 2001, 15:58   #83
Oerdin
Deity

Hidden Civs?
Here's a quote from the latest "Ask the Civ Team" update on the civ web site.

"The foreign advisor screen will only display eight civs at a time, however, so you can hold shift & right click on any of the eight slots on that screen to select another known civ to display."

am I just reading to much into this or do other people find the term "known civ" to be a little leading? It seems to imply that there might be a few unknown civs included that we can some how activate latter. So what do you think folks? Will there be hidden civs?
Old October 22, 2001, 16:10   #84
Stuie
King

Local Time: 10:53
Re: Hidden Civs?
Quote:
Originally posted by Oerdin
Here's a quote from the latest "Ask the Civ Team" update on the civ web site.

"The foreign advisor screen will only display eight civs at a time, however, so you can hold shift & right click on any of the eight slots on that screen to select another known civ to display."

am I just reading to much into this or do other people find the term "known civ" to be a little leading? It seems to imply that there might be a few unknown civs included that we can some how activate latter. So what do you think folks? Will there be hidden civs?
I'm pretty sure that meant "known" as in you've already encountered them in the game you are currently playing. Civs that you have not yet had contact with in a single game are "unknown".
Old October 22, 2001, 16:11   #85
Fiil
Warlord

Re: Hidden civs?
Nah, I think it's because only civs you have encountered in the game will be displayed. In the beginning of a game no other civs will be displayed, and as you meet them they become (known)visible in the diplomacy screen.
Old October 22, 2001, 16:14   #86
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

I guess 'known civ' just means 'a civ you are already in contact with', not 'a civ that has been confirmed by Firaxis so far'.

OTOH ... just a 'shift-click', and the Spanish, Mongol and Viking leaders appear on the screen ...
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 24, 2001, 09:01   #87
8Jon8
Settler

Now about that Draft thing.. I´d like to know if it´s possible once a unit was drafted, to undraft it again (returning the lost pop to its city), and if yes, does this make the unhappy citizens happy again?