Old February 7, 2000, 08:26   #1
Mercator
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 02:04
Local Date: October 31, 2010
(This one goes to 11) OVERSIZED MAPS
O.V.E.R.S.I.Z.E.D. .M.A.P.S

I posted about this topic several times before, but I guess not too many people have read those threads. That's why you see this "guide". I assume you know how to work with a hex editor.

With CivilizationII and its MapEditor the biggest size of maps you can get is a map with a surface of 10000. The true maximum, however, is a bit higher, namely 10923. The other limitations, such as a minimum surface or minimum width/height, can be avoided too. It would be best not to ignore these, you may run into trouble.

These are the steps you have to take to "oversized" maps:

1. Create a new (blank) map with the MapEditor. Save this map.

2. Open the map you have just made with a hex editor.

3.-The first byte of the map file indicates the map width, according to CivilizationII which is twice the width you'll find in the MapEditor.
-The third byte of a map file indicated the height of a map.
-Change the width and height of the map to whatever you like, as long as you keep in mind the original limitations and make sure 0.5 x height x width is lower than 10923.
-Save the map.

4. Open your MapEditor again and load this map. You'll now get an error message. Click OK and the map will load.

NOTE
It is possible to change a pre-existing map. Due to the structure of a map file, changing the width of an existing map will give funny results. Harlan Thompson figured out a way to go around this and other problems by first converting a map to a text-based Civ:CtP map (using C.A. Flinchbaugh's MapUtility), making the changes and converting it back to a Civ2 map.
Old February 8, 2000, 15:35   #2
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 19:04
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I would REALLY love to know if there are any sites with these larger maps available for download on them. Particularly a out sized earth-map.
Old February 9, 2000, 04:08   #3
Mercator
Emperor

I am working on one, but since I'm working at about a dozen maps now, it could take a while before I finish it. And apart from that I haven't done much map making lately, I guess I should start finishing some.
Old February 11, 2000, 01:04   #4
Seeker
Emperor

What's Mercators site? Did u make a euro or earth map?
Old February 11, 2000, 01:46   #5
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:04
I made three more than a week ago, and posted them to Apolyton and Mercator's site. Neither have put them up yet, in Apolyton's case cos I haven't used the right procedures yet. They're not new maps, just old maps I've made for scenarios with the extra 10% added.
Old February 13, 2000, 06:07   #6
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:04
Sorry for the slow reply, it took me a while to get around to reposting these to Apolyton. There are now six maps I sent off. They include maps of Europe in the Dark Ages, Mediterrean to Persia in Ancient Times, the Pacific, greater Europe, and Eurasia. All of them are from scenarios I made, with extra land added to the south.

By the way, if any webmaster wants me to send these to their site, just let me know.
[This message has been edited by Harlan (edited February 13, 2000).]
Old February 15, 2000, 09:21   #7
Mercator
Emperor

Harlan, sorry for not posting your maps, but I haven't done anything about my site lately (http://civ2.sidgames.com). I don't think I will add them (or anything else) in the near present. I have lost touch with my site, so it's practically dead.
I am working on something new, though. I'll change my site to become a civ2 maps-only site, but that'll take a while.

Yes, I did make an earth map (not the one called mercator.mp, though), I am working on a map of Europe. Check my site (see URL above, or the "Homepage" button) to see all of my maps. As I said above, my site's basically dead That doesn't mean, however, that there's nothing of interest (especially when you haven't visited it yet).
Old February 15, 2000, 14:59   #8
Seeker
Emperor

Mercator: what is the xtra large world map on your site called?
Old February 16, 2000, 04:13   #9
Mercator
Emperor

I don't have an extra large world map yet. I made a 100x100 world map (called j_world.mp, which can easily be found in the maps section).
I'm working on a (Miller's projection) map of the world. That map is a 106x103 map, doesn't include the South Pole, and is therefore a whole lot bigger.
Old February 16, 2000, 17:52   #10
Seeker
Emperor

I eagerly await. Of course, the true dream is to play a game on a world map at the scale and complexity of EuropePW (the best euro map IMHO)
Old February 26, 2000, 18:28   #11
Miner
Prince

Local Time: 01:04
Here goes