Old October 20, 2001, 18:14   #1
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

Local Time: 10:56
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Ming! Polls can't count as new threads!
You say one thread per game, which I have problems with but i'm not going to debate that now. What I have done and Deity now i suppose is not start new threads but try to make use of the poll feature in the forums. It is a very important feature to the game and if we could conduct different polls in the same thread then fine, i'd be more than happy to do that, but the technology doesn't work that way.

Crap, they are just temporarily used threads for real purposes. We aren't keeping three equal threads open, we have one thread and then i started with a poll. There is no other way to do this. I can't see the logic in stopping active, happy from enjoying the use of these forums. We aren't spamming or unnecessarily clogging up things with dumb threads. That is done by people who don't fall under your "one thread per game rule".

With all the people frustrated with Apolyton who left for civfanatics i'd think the moderators would like to be a bit nicer to its patrons who (so far) are loyal Apolyton fans. Kicking us around isn't going to be good for this site.

Heck I even told you in the first poll thread i made that is was able to be closed since the election was over. I don't object to that but this election is still going and we are still actively using these threads, why on earth would you close them down?

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 20, 2001, 18:24   #2
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Local Time: 09:56
I disagree... polls are new threads... IT'S THAT SIMPLE.

You can poll all you want in your game thread... It's not like you get that many votes that it is tough to vote by hand

I cut you some slack by allowing a single poll... and all you do is whine about not getting more. It's a single game, and contrary to what you might think... only a few people care. You have 4 threads on this page related to your game...

If you want to do a poll in the future, just keep it in your thread and do a hand count... it shouldn't be too tough.
Old October 20, 2001, 21:32   #3
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 00:56
Local Date: November 1, 2010
unfortunatley i agree with ming (I wont make a habit of it) Imagine if every leader were to do a poll each week, we would have 7 polls running only to be shut then started again the following week. too many threads to keep up with.

I dont know nor understand the code behind these threads, but perhpas some one with knowledge could check and see if it is possible to add a poll to an existing thread and keep it all in one place...
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 21, 2001, 01:12   #4
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 06:56
anyone else see the irony in the last post?
Old October 21, 2001, 01:22   #5
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by Smash
anyone else see the irony in the last post?
only you Smash and perhaps Chris62 !!!
Old October 21, 2001, 11:41   #6
Chris 62
Spanish CiversCivilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
only you Smash and perhaps Chris62 !!!
Well Ras, both Smash and I are Civfanatics mderators, so it's only logical we would recognize it.

Back to the topic, I have to say, you guys are very into your game, which is cool, but (you knew that was coming), even though I fill in for you once in awhile, I can't see the reason for all these threads.

You guys should have done just 2 of them, a game thread to talk about the game as it's played, and a history thread, to tell your nation's history as it unfolds.

Truth to tell, I don't give a fig of the names of your leaders (it was just confusing in the game, trying to figure who was who), or what they represent, I like playing the game.

Still it is an interesting game, but not so that it dominates this board.

See Ras? Didn't even mention your spamming!
Old October 21, 2001, 16:41   #7
drake
King

Seeing how its the only real game going on here at apolyton that involves any discussion that I can see, I don't really see the harm.

But oh well.
Old October 21, 2001, 17:00   #8
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Isn't there a story/diplomacy forum for stuff like this.

I'm sure it will generate as much interest there as it does here.

RAH
Old October 21, 2001, 17:06   #9
drake
King

Thats not a bad idea rah
Old October 22, 2001, 05:13   #10
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by rah
Isn't there a story/diplomacy forum for stuff like this.

I'm sure it will generate as much interest there as it does here.

RAH
which unfortuantly is very little

the question being then, if we move to the story/Diplo area are we allowed to have multiple Poll Threads?

Chris62 above mentions the need for 2 threads one for the game and one for history. Perhpas we should have a thread in this forum solely for game issues such as need for subs etc, and keep all the story/history stuff over in the other forums.

What thinketh you Ming is this good? Or even if me moved to Story/Diplomacy would we be limited to one thread and no polls.

And if Ming says ok, do the players think this would be good?

And apologies to Smash and Chris for more spam!!!!!
Old October 22, 2001, 16:55   #11
OzzyKP
staff
ApolyCon 06 ParticipantsDiploGamesPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG The Mercenary TeamApolytoners Hall of Fame
ACS Staff Member

What the ****?! Not only did all the polls get closed by my most recent poll was outright deleted, what the hell for? Even if it is closed we still need the posts in there to craft history from, we archive all that stuff and keep it for the history of this game. How can you just throw it away? Damn it.

And on the topic of Stories/Diplomacy, i've checked that place out a few times and I still can't figure it out. It is even civ? ALSO and a big also, Ming always says no more than one thread per game, but in Stories/Diplomacy it seems they have a new thread PER TURN!!! How the hell can this be allowed but not polls that are IMPOSSIBLE in the same thread?

My entire game right now is based on these polls. I have to use them some how. If you can somehow set it up so that I can do new polls every week in the same thread, fine, that'd be just great. If you want to move my polls to another forum then let me know. But there has to be some way to do this or I might as well stop playing because there wouldn't be much point for me.

When I was younger I thought curfews were silly, but now as the daughter of a young woman, I appreciate them. - Rah
Old October 22, 2001, 19:05   #12
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

The S&D forum is different... It was created to get the every turn threads out of the OTF... where they were cluttering it up.

If you want to post it at a different forum... feel free. Nobody is stopping you. If you are going to quit the game because of it

Very few people care about your game. Why can't you do a count of hands in the current thread... too much work??????
What's so difficult about posting in your current thread the choices, and then counting how people respond. Are you saying that you couldn't play diplo games before Apolyton had the poll feature????? So... there is a way to do it, but you ignore the obvious solution.

Why are you so special that you MUST have your weekly poll.
What if everybody playing a game felt the same way... You might think your game is more important than all others... but it isn't.
It's just another game...

I'm not going to make any exceptions to a rule that has been in place since the beginning of these forums. No game is more important than any other...
Old October 22, 2001, 19:31   #13
EyesOfNight

Maybe we should start a poll to find out how many people care about this game of theirs?

Old October 22, 2001, 20:02   #14
drake
King

ming, sounds like an abuse of power to me....whether you care about the game is irrelevent.

The civ2 mp community isnt as active as it once was. Most mp players are selling out and buying civ3 (*cough*). I don't see the harm in keeping a few silly threads open. Seems you're doing it out of spite.

Eyes, the audience really isnt important. I know most don't care about the game. It's not important. We had a bunch of threads open a few months ago about a tournament (which bombed). So why couldnt those have been in a single thread? I can sure tell you that those didn't mean a thing to most people either.

Point is, you are a mod here ming but this is not YOUR forum. Unless we are violating rules you shouldnt be closing down anything.

Do what you gotta do tho
Old October 22, 2001, 20:25   #15
Smash
Emperor

you could always take it to another site..hint,hint

If whether or not anyone is interested is the criteria...then there are a lot of threads that need closing
Old October 22, 2001, 22:46   #16
Ming
lifer
Retired

Quote:
Originally posted by drake
We had a bunch of threads open a few months ago about a tournament (which bombed). So why couldnt those have been in a single thread?
Yeah... there were a bunch of threads... one for each game Not a good example on your behalf
It doesn't matter if the games bombed or not... they were games as important as any other...

The rules have been the rules from the beginning... learn to deal with it

Again... why does this game deserve any different treatment from any other... the fact is... it doesn't.
Old October 22, 2001, 22:54   #17
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

so from all of the above we seem to have a few choices to make.

1. we staya swe are and jsut do any polls inside the current thread.
2. WE move to Stories& Diplo and conduct there as many threads as necessary.
3. We move to civfantaics site.

i sugget a compromise, perhpas we keep the main thread where it is, but post our polls at S&D and jsut have links to that from inside the main thread. that way anyone interested in our game will be able to follow the link straight to any poll..

Would that be ok Ming ...??? or are you firm on us conducting all polls manually from withing the thread.??
Old October 22, 2001, 23:04   #18
Ming
lifer
Retired

I don't moderate the S&D forums... and actually, I see no reason to ever go there, because they are so cluttered with games I have no interest in So I have no clue whether that is an acceptable option.

So I have no clue if anybody would complain to Mark about it. If you named your polls HOTW, I frankly doen't think anybody there would even notice

The only people in support of allowing multiple threads in the MP forums are people that are actually in the game... DUH I'm sure it is of great interest to the players... but that's not a good enough reason to clutter up the forums with multiple threads...

No game deserves treatment better than any other...
I allowed more than one at first for your game... and then you just went out and created more and more threads...
Old October 22, 2001, 23:31   #19
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

While i agree with Ming about too many polls and threads cluttering up forums...... its not like the civ2 mp forum is that busy........ in fact its quite slow therefore i can see both sides of the arguement.

It would be kewl to have a diplomacy area for games... then those playing could have their polls there or conduct diplomacy and such so that the mp forums don't swell with single game threads....

The group i play with uses one thread to conduct business..... but then were not playing diplomatically or for more than one session these days

Old October 22, 2001, 23:48   #20
The Capo
DiploGames
King

Local Time: 14:56
Ming needs to relax man...
The problem here is we've had this issue arise before, since our game gets so many posts DAILY I started a thread for OOC discussion, times and subs and crap like that.

Ming felt that this was too many threads, and closed a few down causing us to start the thread we are currently working on now. I don't think what Ozzy wants to do is going to be that problematic for these forum, I don't understand why this rule is in effect anyway, and I'm going to ask MarkG if he can allow it, not to undercut Ming in any way but I think Ming has made a few occuances personal matters, especially with he recent HOTW crap he's delt with.

And by the way Ming, how do you know how many people are interested in our game? You should have seen the hits we got on our website when it was up. So before you begin to talk, make sure you're doing so out of the right hole there Mingy.
Old October 22, 2001, 23:53   #21
The Capo
DiploGames
King

I say we move...
Hey guys, I say we move HOTW2 to CivFanatics.

SunTzu is a former HOTWer and he said they'd be more than happy to accomodate our game (and our player's creative needs), and in exchange he hopes it will help develope a Diplogaming community there. What do you guys say?

One Love.
Old October 23, 2001, 00:13   #22
SunTzu
Prince

Yep we'll be glad to have you over there. We're already collecting discontented ex-poly's. So why not more
Thanks for the business
Old October 23, 2001, 01:01   #23
EyesOfNight

Civfanatics is a very useful dumping ground for things we don't want. They think it's great business....more power to them. Civfanatics=Apolyton's *****

Old October 23, 2001, 05:40   #24
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

well i would prefer to stick what i know best and that is apolyton, although i am registered at civfanatics i hardly go there , probably less than 50 posts which is stuff all for me!!! .. Apart from this sort of issue i am happy to stay, my preference wopuld be to speak to the S&D mod and make sure he is happy for us to invade that area...
Old October 23, 2001, 06:28   #25
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 02:56
Why not encourage threads?
What's wrong with heaps of threads?

I don't get it. And to say to do straw polls for votes in ONE game thread when you have the technology to provide us with this lovely poll mechanism is absurd.

We read the Apolyton ads, therefore we pay. We are your customers. How about responding to customer needs and providing a service?

I don't see anyone else complaining about numbers of threads.

And it's a bit old-fashioned to have dictatorial moderators who aren't accountable.

For goodness sakes, we are in the year 2001 in sophisticated Democratic nations. I think there should be a published 'Code of Laws' that Moderators adhere to rather than this judgemental approach.

If Apolytron don't listen I'm with Capo. Maybe we have the one thread we are allowed here - the game organising thread; and have the story thread and MULTIPLE polls at CivFanatics.

Also, I'm sick of this line that no one cares about other peoples games. How uninspiring. I know many of us take an active interest in many other games. Even sending game files around.
I even read that boring thread the 2x 1x group uses

How about a bit of spark and less oppression please?
Old October 23, 2001, 06:33   #26
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

I still would like to be less confrontational , and jsut psot our Polls and stories over in the S&D thread.... LEave the game arranglement poll here for times and subs etc...
Old October 23, 2001, 07:57   #27
Ming
lifer
Retired

Blah blah blah... Ming hates us... He's unfair... why can't our game be special... blah.... blah.. blah... why should we have to follow the rules... why can't we do what we want... blah blah blah...

The rules have been in place since the beginning... Again, why should your game be treated any differently?
Old October 23, 2001, 08:07   #28
drake
King

This forum archives every single useless thread. Every dookie rant. Every European vs. American (which we have atleast one of EVERY DAY) rant. Every thread about what day and where civ 3 is going to be released.

You talk about "clogging up" the boards. Give me a break man, go back to the OT if you want to talk about clogged up.

I don't care anymore ming. The civ2 MP community pool is drying up. The interest in the game will soon be gone (if civ3 mp has decent features). This civ2 mp forum will soon be dead for all intensive purposes, probably within the year.

This is the last civ2 hurrah for some of us, and whether it's silly or not should be of no concern to you.

Oh well, I'm shouting at a brick wall. Go read one of the 50 threads in the OT about Americans VS Europeans
Old October 23, 2001, 08:28   #29
Ming
lifer
Retired

Uhhh... that's why the OTF was started... to keep all that silliness out of the on topic threads

Your game as been going on for a long time... but all of a sudden, NOW, you need mulitple threads. Why... What, you can't play the game anymore unless you do polls... HUH?

Yes, eventually Civ III MP will make these forums a grave yard (assuming that it doesn't stink)... but Civ III MP will probably not be available for over 6 months... so I'm sure many of us will continue playing CivII MP until that point.

So again I must ask... why is your game so different than all others that you MUST have multiple threads... Why should the rules be any different for you?
Old October 23, 2001, 08:38   #30
drake
King

For a second forget the rules. Think for yourself. Now tell me what the harm is.

I personally could live with a single thread for the game. But whats the harm of a silly poll here and there? It's not hurting anyone and certainly isn't "clogging" anything up.

You've been marky marks yes man too long. For once use your own judgement.