Old October 21, 2001, 05:22   #1
Akaoz
Prince

Local Time: 14:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wonders and Attributes
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ3infocenter.shtml#wonders

“By building Great Wonders that match the strengths of your civilization, you cam trigger a Golden Age.”

In the list of Wonders there is a field called: Attributes. What does that mean? Are Attributes what you need to mach with your Civ in order to trigger a ‘Golden Age’? Or are they some sort of Pre-Requisite?

I’m betting they have something to do with the ‘Golden Age’, but I think it would be cool if you could onlt build Wonders that matched your culture/civ. Maybe with the Editor I can make it so?

-Alech
Old October 21, 2001, 05:52   #2
Patriqvium
Prince

Local Time: 16:57
The Wonder attributes are used to define if building a Wonder starts a civilization's Golden Age. For example, if the Chinese build the Great Wall (which is considered a militaristic/industrious Wonder), their GA will begin.
Old October 21, 2001, 06:59   #3
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
All wonders are given at least one probably two 'styles' they fall into. If your civ builds wonders which match their civilization attributes then a golden age will begin ( which is STUPID cause it means golden ages will all happen early on - first thing I'm gonna change, but thats doesn't mean I don't love you Firaxis, it's just personal taste )
Old October 21, 2001, 07:06   #4
Akaoz
Prince

Why would Golden Ages happen early?

What impact would it have if one was to limit wonders to civs with a matching 'style'? (e.g. Only Militaristic civs can build militaristic wonders.)

-Alech
Old October 21, 2001, 07:21   #5
Crouchback
Warlord

Local Time: 09:57
Is there a risk of premature Golden Age?

I mean if a Golden Age increases a civilization's commerce/productivity/growth by a percentage, wouldn't having one when you've only got 2 cities and a few thousand people be a waste? IMO better to wait until the middle game, when you've got tens of cities with newly built aqueducts.

Yet it seems like they're very easily triggered. When a CSU winning a battle, which is inevitable for a militaristic civilization early on. Or building a wonder that plays to a civilization's strengths, which one would naturally want to do.

Stratergies to delay WLTK: get everyone to think of Soren Johnson's turtle swimming around in that tiny tank...

David
Old October 21, 2001, 11:30   #6
Mars
Prince

Local Time: 09:57
It would be dumb if they limited the wonders to the attribute of the civ with the attribute of the wonder.

For instance,, wouldn't you get annoyed if you couldn't build the great wall because you're not militristic or industialst. It would also severly limit the competiton for the wonders which would also be annoying.

However for the small wonders you could say that your style of play sort of limits which ones you can get. Cuz instead of only requiring a advance they need some other prereqs. i.e. if you're not a militrastic civ you probaly won't be as likely to get a great leader and if you do to win a battle with an army (which requires the great leader) thereby you have less chance to get the military academy.
Old October 21, 2001, 11:53   #7
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Mars
It would be dumb if they limited the wonders to the attribute of the civ with the attribute of the wonder.

For instance,, wouldn't you get annoyed if you couldn't build the great wall because you're not militristic or industialst.
AFAIK, you can built the Great Wall with every civ (that is, if you´re the first to complete it ), but if you´re not militaristic and industrious (read: not playing as the Chinese), completion of the Great Wall won´t trigger your golden age.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 21, 2001, 13:35   #8
Yoleus
Warlord

Speculation on attributes
If a wonder has got the "religious" attribute, then religious civs take less to build it?
If the civ and the wonder match both the attributes, does the "cheap" effect get doubled?
Like the Chinese building the Wall in 6 turns...

Sounds cute to me
Old October 21, 2001, 13:42   #9
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Nah I'm sure Firaxis won't have done that.

Besides the first thing I'm doing is removing the wonder attributes with the editor ( or else setting them all to the same on to similar effect ) so they can't trigger a premature golden age like Crouchback mentioned.

And another round of 'Thanks Firaxis' for making that possible
Old October 21, 2001, 14:34   #10
Akaoz
Prince

Why would getting Golden Ages worry you? I have seen nothing that implies that you only get one.

-Alech
Old October 21, 2001, 15:03   #11
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:57
Quote:
Originally posted by Akaoz
Why would getting Golden Ages worry you? I have seen nothing that implies that you only get one.
http://www.civ3.com/devupdate_civspecific.cfm

When Firaxis revealed the concept of a 'golden age', they said at the same time that golden ages occured only once.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW