Old October 21, 2001, 07:56   #1
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Local Time: 09:57
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Recon Air Missions
According to Firaxis, recon missions investigates a selected square.

Isn't that a little limited? I mean, the aircraft will fly over many squares to get to the target, wouldn't it reveal more? Besides, this thing is supposed to be in the air, so, wouldn't it have a huge line of sight?
Old October 21, 2001, 08:17   #2
Crouchback
Warlord

Even at 200 miles squared per tile that is a little on the mean side. I hope spy planes are still in, they should be invaluable under this new air system for pre-bombing target recon and damage assessment. With air superiority over the target as well, air power in Civ 3 could rock.

Now all they need to add is close ground support, and we'll be set for modern warfare.

David
Old October 21, 2001, 08:22   #3
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

You're right... air combat will rock in CIV 3 (I hope)!

How would you simulate close air support in CIV 3? I mean, how could have Firaxis accomplish that?
Old October 21, 2001, 08:25   #4
Ralf
King

Local Time: 15:57
The recon-mission must also update the latest terrain-improvements and uncover black and dimmed out squares 3-4 tiles wide, along the way. Also, I hope that one can setup an automatic reckon-path from node to node. If not, above recon-option becomes rather useless.
Old October 21, 2001, 12:41   #5
Mars
Prince

After like the industrial Age i almost always have discovered the whole map anyways so recon in of it self is kind of useless in my opinion. Just go and bomb the city is what i say.
Old October 21, 2001, 12:48   #6
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:57
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
I assume it, like near everything else, will be adjustable in the editor so, no worries guys
Old October 21, 2001, 13:01   #7
Alfonsus72
Civilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Prince

Even if you have a map of the entire world, fog of war exists.
I hope that you have an option to make a fow line visible or something so, that way you could plan your recon misions with the information of what squares your units/cities can see and what they can´t.

Another interesting question is what happens when you attemp an air recon and your target square falls into the defense range of an enemy air unit in "air superiority" mode?. Probably you have a chance of being undetected (specially stealth units).

And what about the Radar instalations that workers could build in SMAC? will they be present in Civ3?. Hope so, but can´t be so optimist after the aparent remove of the airbases.
Old October 21, 2001, 13:13   #8
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 10:57
I don't remember, were there vision ranges in Civ II? If not, think about this guys. People can see farther when on top of mountains in Civ III, so I'm sure that planes will see farther, too.
Old October 21, 2001, 13:30   #9
Faboba
King

Actually they've done something I don't feel is particularly great and slightly greyed all the squares covered by the fog of war.

I hope I can turn this off, I like my colours to be vibrant so I can full appreciate the beauty and effort Firaxis have put itno these graphics, not darker shadows of them.

Also it's just my opinion, but I don't think you'd be sending a recon mission to either your or an ally controlled region or anywhere near your units, I know I wouldn't f I sent one at all, so it's a reasonably moot point.
Old October 21, 2001, 13:36   #10
Faboba
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
I don't remember, were there vision ranges in Civ II? If not, think about this guys. People can see farther when on top of mountains in Civ III, so I'm sure that planes will see farther, too.
Oui mais ils voient avec moins de détail.
Old October 21, 2001, 14:15   #11
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Re: Recon Air Missions
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Beaudoin
According to Firaxis, recon missions investigates a selected square.

Isn't that a little limited? I mean, the aircraft will fly over many squares to get to the target, wouldn't it reveal more? Besides, this thing is supposed to be in the air, so, wouldn't it have a huge line of sight?
True the plane would fly over other squares to get to the square being reconnoitered. However I suspect the best way to think of it is that the plane will take pictures over the target area, thus developing more detailed information. Kind of like U2 spy plane flights over Cuba during the missle crisis. (Did you see Thirteen Days?)

I think this function is probably similar to the "Investigate City" option for Civ2, except that you can use it for any square. It makes sense that they've expanded this option from just city squares to any square, since warfare in Civ3 will focus on protecting territory (resources, trade routes, colonies etc.) as well as cities. In Civ2, it was all about cities. This new concept of defending your territory, not just your cities, is one of the things I'm looking forward to the most.
Old October 21, 2001, 15:06   #12
SerapisIV
King

I'm going under the assumption that revealing one square actually means that it reveals the fog over 9 squares. Come on a lowly 4,000 BC warrior can clear 9 tiles of fog, but an advanced aircraft flying recon only sees 1? Something doesn't jive there. But, it's such a nit-picking point, I doubt we'll get clarification till Oct 31.
Old October 21, 2001, 15:11   #13
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Actually they've done something I don't feel is particularly great and slightly greyed all the squares covered by the fog of war.

I hope I can turn this off, I like my colours to be vibrant so I can full appreciate the beauty and effort Firaxis have put itno these graphics, not darker shadows of them.
Whether you like it or not, it serves a rather important function and I doubt it can be turned off.
Old October 21, 2001, 15:13   #14
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:57
IIRC, you could turn off the fog of war in SMAC, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same in civ3.
Old October 21, 2001, 15:14   #15
Sabre2th
King

Quote:
Originally posted by ixnay37
IIRC, you could turn off the fog of war in SMAC, so I don't see why you wouldn't be able to do the same in civ3.
I haven't played SMAC in quite a while, I'll just take your word for it.

I don't like playing without FOW. After playing CtP (*shudder*), it was hard for me to go back to civ2. FOW makes it very obvious what you can see and not see. I would rather focus on my empire.
Old October 21, 2001, 20:26   #16
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Sabre2th

Whether you like it or not, it serves a rather important function and I doubt it can be turned off.
In SMAC, this could be turned on and off. I usually would leave it the LOS fog off if I was in a state of peace, but during wartime, I had it on.

I too like the pretty colors
Old October 22, 2001, 20:54   #17
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:

I'm sorry... I don't speak... not English... I'm ignorant...

What did you say???
Old October 22, 2001, 21:20   #18
korn469
Emperor

Oui mais ils voient avec moins de détail=Yes but they see with less detail
Old October 22, 2001, 21:29   #19
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by korn469
Oui mais ils voient avec moins de détail=Yes but they see with less detail
How do we know they see with less detail?

And until the advent of modern day satelites (which are in the game, yeah!) you can't see good detail from high so that's okay.
Old October 22, 2001, 21:44   #20
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
This I understand perfectly.

Quote:
Also it's just my opinion, but I don't think you'd be sending a recon mission to either your or an ally controlled region or anywhere near your units, I know I wouldn't f I sent one at all, so it's a reasonably moot point.
This, on the other hand, needs a translation.
Old October 22, 2001, 22:01   #21
Mars
Prince

I'm with you falconius, what the heck are you trying to say there
Old October 22, 2001, 22:07   #22
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Sometims your thoughts just don't look the same when you put them down on paper... (or computer screen)
Old October 22, 2001, 22:54   #23
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
Sometims your thoughts just don't look the same when you put them down on paper... (or computer screen)
heh.. You know, I was thinking of things- you know

Sometimes they just come out, but that's something else.

Old October 23, 2001, 09:30   #24
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 15:57
If I understand it correctly, the airplane will have a view radius like any other unit, but it will only examine in detail one selected square. So like Albie suggested, for that one square you will actually get to see the condition and composition of the full enemy stack. Very useful for knowing when to stop bombarding and launch the ground assault
Old October 23, 2001, 10:14   #25
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

Well, then, in that case, I am completely satisfied by the recon mission option and I will probably use it often.

Wow, what a great game this is going to be.

Thanks for the clarification Grumbold
Old October 23, 2001, 10:57   #26
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

I like that fog of war is visible. In civ2 I would always forget that I hadn't "looked at" that size 2 city with phalanxes near it lately, and when I come up on it again, it's a size 10 with musketeers, yikes! With fow I know exactly the squares for which I have current intel.
Old October 23, 2001, 11:50   #27
LarryLard
Chieftain

What would be ideal of course would be for terrain covered by the FOW to look the same as the rest (ie not shaded), but for the FOW to still exist (ie you cannot see units if you have no units to see them with )

Which is a system that seems strangely familiar... now which highly successful 1996 game had that system... let me think...
Old October 23, 2001, 16:57   #28
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by HalfLotus
I like that fog of war is visible. In civ2 I would always forget that I hadn't "looked at" that size 2 city with phalanxes near it lately, and when I come up on it again, it's a size 10 with musketeers, yikes! With fow I know exactly the squares for which I have current intel.
Yah that happened to me all the time, lol. I like the shaded fog, shows that you don't really know what's there, it's sort of far off and shrouded in legend type of thing.
Old October 23, 2001, 17:26   #29
Mars
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Grumbold
If I understand it correctly, the airplane will have a view radius like any other unit, but it will only examine in detail one selected square. So like Albie suggested, for that one square you will actually get to see the condition and composition of the full enemy stack. Very useful for knowing when to stop bombarding and launch the ground assault
Wow, maybe i will use it then, so its kind of like investigate city, where you "investigate army". That could be useful in knowing whether you or your enemy will be the victor