Old October 21, 2001, 14:15   #1
connorkimbro
Emperor

Local Time: 08:58
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Do you plan on using the in game tutorial?
From the new civ3 preview:
Quote:
If you're new to the series, then an in-depth tutorial can help you become accustomed, as you're shepherded carefully through every aspect of building up your own civilization.
Everytime i buy a new computer game, i always like to go through the tutorial. I expect with civ3, it won't be necessary, but I probably will anyway. . . what about you, do you usually do the tutorials, or do you learn by trial and error? Do you plan on using the civ3 tutorial?

-theonion.com
Old October 21, 2001, 14:18   #2
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 06:58
I plan on going through it before playing just to see the new features and get a feel for them. IMHO this is better than just jumping into the game only half way knowing what your doing, and getting whooped.
Old October 21, 2001, 14:21   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

yes, i agree, the new features, along with the interface. i imagine some of the hotkeys will be the same (f - fortify, s - sentry, b - build city, etc. . ) but the rest of the interface i mean. .

-theonion.com
Old October 21, 2001, 14:32   #4
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 11:58
yep, i think its gonna be fun
Old October 21, 2001, 14:35   #5
TechWins
King

Local Time: 07:58
I usually go through the tutorial for about five minutes and say "the hell with this I'm playing the game". With Civ3 I won't even bother to spend five minutes with the tutorial because of my extreme excitement I will have plus my familiarity with Civ.
However, it is difficult to believe that 2 times 2 does not equal 4; does that make it true? On the other hand, is it really so difficult simply to accept everything that one has been brought up on and that has gradually struck deep roots – what is considered truth in the circle of moreover, really comforts and elevates man? Is that more difficult than to strike new paths, fighting the habitual, experiencing the insecurity of independence and the frequent wavering of one’s feelings and even one’s conscience, proceeding often without any consolation, but ever with the eternal goal of the true, the beautiful, and the good? - F.N.
Old October 21, 2001, 14:39   #6
FrostyBoy
Emperor

Local Time: 22:58
Think I will skip the tutorial this time, I'll go back to my old ways of making mistakes to learn, seems to work better for me that way.
Old October 21, 2001, 15:00   #7
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

I think I'll go through it if for no other reason than to see what kind of job they did on it.
Old October 21, 2001, 15:16   #8
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 09:58
Quote:
Originally posted by TechWins
I usually go through the tutorial for about five minutes and say "the hell with this I'm playing the game". With Civ3 I won't even bother to spend five minutes with the tutorial because of my extreme excitement I will have plus my familiarity with Civ.
I did the same thing with Space Empires 4. I'll do like Sn00py, just dive right in learn from my mistakes.

Quote:
I think I'll go through it if for no other reason than to see what kind of job they did on it.
You're a sad man, ixnay37!
Old October 21, 2001, 15:27   #9
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 10:58
I hate reading the directions for anything, I'd rather figure things out for myself, but I usually do the tutorial, just to get the feel for the interface of a game and refer to the manual later if I need something.
Old October 21, 2001, 15:31   #10
Faboba
King

Local Time: 14:58
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Markos or anyone else with the ability.

Could we please have that..... T word censored?

I find it kind of offensive.
Old October 21, 2001, 16:30   #11
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 16:58
Yes, I will use tutorial because I am eager to see ever bit of Civ3 ...
Old October 21, 2001, 17:28   #12
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 15:58
I will use the tutorial and read the whole manual before starting my first game of Civ3. Nothing´s better than pleasant anticipation.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW
Old October 21, 2001, 17:43   #13
Shiva
Prince

Wont use it. I always RTFM and proceed to play. I like it best because its the fastest to learn all the ways to lose by scewing up and also what screw ups you can recover from.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 21, 2001, 17:51   #14
Green Giant
Warlord

HA! I will never use the tutorial!
Old October 21, 2001, 17:54   #15
FrostyBoy
Emperor

lol, I couldn't help it, I sat here, reading what ixnay37 said, and remembered something else he said a while ago which also was really silly, and I just had to ask, are you being serious about your posts?
Old October 21, 2001, 18:05   #16
Dirty Clint
Settler

Local Time: 02:58
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Like Lockstep I will be playing the tutorial and fully reading the manual before my first game - oh the anticipation. It's a pity there is no printed Tech tree with the standard edition though.
"I know what you're thinking. Did he fire six shots or only five. Well to tell you the truth, in all this excitement, I kind have lost track myself. but bein' this is a 44 magnum, the most powerful handgun in the world, and would blow your head clean off, you've got to ask yourself one question.......do i feel lucky?..........well do ya punk?"
Old October 21, 2001, 18:11   #17
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Yes, I was being semi-serious. Like the others here, I'll probably read the whole manual and play the tutorial to build up anticipation. But, I also would like to see how Firaxis made the tutorial - I've seen some horrible tutorials in games, and also some good ones.
Old October 21, 2001, 20:21   #18
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Yeah, I do. Not so much to learn the game, but more to just have fun with it.
Old October 21, 2001, 20:28   #19
ancient
Prince

hell no, thats a waste of time, sides its more fun to figure things out yourself..
Old October 21, 2001, 21:14   #20
Alex
Emperor

Local Time: 11:58
Yep. I will play the tutorial and I will read the manual, cover to cover. For me, it is all part of the fun (that, or I am a very very sad person... )
Old October 21, 2001, 21:28   #21
marcuspeddle
Iron CiversCivilization IV PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 23:58
I usually read through the manual until I'm confused and then I start the game. When the game confuses me I go back to the manual and back and forth and later, in the 'eye of the confusion' things suddenly become clear and the game and I get along fine.
With Civ 3 I'll probably try the tutorial and when (if) I go to bed that night I'll start reading the manual.
You know, it's a sad thing. When I first started teaching in Korea I would tell students, "My interests include travel, studying Korean, writing letters, playing guitar, and reading." After six years I still tell them that but it's a big fat lie. I spend a lot of time playing computer games and writing useless posts like this one at Apolyton.
Old October 21, 2001, 21:28   #22
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 07:58
If the tutorial is included (which it should be), then yes, I will use it on my first game. Using the Tutorial once is like reading the manual ... and i plan on doing both. Of course, I will most likely be going back to the manual more than once to double check on various aspects of the game.
Old October 22, 2001, 02:43   #23
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:58
Ill try the tutorial, just to get used to the keys (if different) and have a look at the trade/espionage menus...

After that, or even during, ill start a new game. The manual is for when i am going to bed, at uni 'listening' to lectures or on the toilet
Old October 22, 2001, 03:04   #24
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

I'll first try the tutorial just to explore around a bit and get used to the feel of a new interface. After finishing it then I'll start a regular game.
Old October 22, 2001, 03:13   #25
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 15:58
Oh yes, I will do the tutorial. I shall be standing there with the box in my hands. I install the game and browse the manual. Doing the tutorial will teach a bit and exite a lot. When that is done, I will become a catoon character...

"What are we going to do tonight?"
"Same as we do every night. Try to take over the world!!! BWUAHAHAHAH!"
Old October 22, 2001, 05:15   #26
FrostyBoy
Emperor

why is there even a manual for any game? it's as if games are hard to work out how to play
Old October 22, 2001, 05:28   #27
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 01:58
Quote:
Originally posted by Sn00py
why is there even a manual for any game? it's as if games are hard to work out how to play
Its for when you're not near a computer, you can read it and pretend you are playing the game
Old October 22, 2001, 08:02   #28
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 17:58
I always use the tutorial for games new to me. Civ 3 will have lots of new concepts, but if the manual is very good, I'll skip the tutorial.
Old October 22, 2001, 08:29   #29
Stuie
King

I'll skip the tutorial and dive right into a game. As I play, I'll slowly read the manual whenever I have free time that cannot be spent at the computer.
Old October 22, 2001, 08:38   #30
Cookie Monster
King

Hello,

I definately will just jump right in and start playing. I've done this with every game I've ever played the first time since I started playing computer games. Call me sick but I enjoy getting spanked by the computer as I'm trying to learn the game. It just makes the challenge all the more exciting as all I can think each time I start a new game is I gotta beat this thing!

Can't wait till release day.......