Old October 21, 2001, 22:51   #1
N_A
Chieftain

Local Time: 06:59
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Barbarians, Pirates, and maybe terrorists ?
Whoa, I haven't kept much up to date with the Civ3 scene, but am definitely excited about all the new stuff. But I have not been able to find any information on whether or not Barbarians and pirates will be playing a role in this game like in the past. It would be pretty interesting twist if they were able to set up some kind of a crazy empire, giving us a kind of "bad guy" to go after or have to be on the look out for.

Anyone know ?
Old October 21, 2001, 23:29   #2
jerkwaterbox
Warlord

Local Time: 09:59
Barbarians are indeed in Civ3. They have their own bases in the undiscovered map. When you find a barbarian base and destroy it, it is rebuilt somwhere in the undiscovered map. So barbarians will be around until the entire map is explored.

"I regret nothing and apologize for less." -My motto
Old October 22, 2001, 00:07   #3
ixnay
Civilization II Democracy GamePtWDG Lux InvictaPtWDG Gathering StormInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton TeamPtWDG2 Cake or Death?C3C IDG: Apolyton TeamApolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations Team
Emperor

Local Time: 08:59
Also, when barbarians pillage your cities, they will take gold back to their encampments, which you can reacquire by destroying them.
Old October 22, 2001, 01:25   #4
Dida
Prince

Local Time: 14:59
does barbarians settle only in the unexploered area or area with fog of war ?

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 22, 2001, 02:31   #5
El hidalgo
Warlord

Local Time: 08:59
Do barbarians keep control over cities they take over, as in Civ 1 & 2? Also, are barbarian bases basically cities? When you defeat one, is it destroyed or does it become a city you can add to your empire (if you don't decide to raze it)? If you are making a scenario, can you give the barbarians some cities? That would be a good backdoor way of making a 17th "civ," if you need that many...
Old October 22, 2001, 03:09   #6
N_A
Chieftain

Yeah, barbarian "civ" is an interesting one if it does exist (maybe someone can create a mod where you get to play as the barbarian). Barbarians have played roles in history such as bothering the Chinese for thousands of years.
Old October 22, 2001, 03:15   #7
Rhysie
Warlord

According to the editor screenshot though, barbarians only have two types of units, Warrior and one other (Knight I think, don't have time to check) - So even though they might be around until the map is fully explored, once you have units which don't have much to fear from knights (Or whatever the later barbarian unit is) the barbarians will become redundant anyway, however much of the map is not covered. Unless you have undefended cities I suppose.
Old October 22, 2001, 11:02   #8
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 16:59
I hope the unit being shown in the editor are only the starter units and there are new ones for every age, otherwise I am unhappy ...
Old October 22, 2001, 15:41   #9
Crouchback
Warlord

I'm still sort of hoping that barbarians will play as an extra, extremely agressive civilization in their own right. But I doubt it will happen, not given the problem of researching and developing. As long as they aren't just the waves of nusiance units which can easily be swept aside by any determined military force after their gold.

And sea borne barbarians, pirates, would be great. But lets leave them on the ground while I'm building skyscrapers.

BTW does anyone else think it stinks that the Great Wall still gives a bonus for fighting barbarians?

David
Old October 22, 2001, 17:12   #10
Dida
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback

BTW does anyone else think it stinks that the Great Wall still gives a bonus for fighting barbarians?

David
What the heck are you thinking? the Great Wall was built to defend China against the barbarians, why should it stinks that it gives bonus for fighting barbarians/

Artistic and hand-made ceramics found only at www.forgiftable.com.
Old October 22, 2001, 20:10   #11
Mahdimael
Prince

Here's an interesting thought: If there are barbarian encampments in the unexplored areas, how far can your first settler move before it will run into them?
Old November 3, 2001, 13:23   #12
shammy
Chieftain

barbarians rock at wiring cash from my account
i have a continent and an island with one city. then.. uprising in the island which is undefended, 5 horsemen enter the city and each will take 44 gold from me,. totaling 5*44gold :P
would be nice to get some logic into this,. so they couldnt suck my gold deposit dry through one desolate city, i would think 95% of my wealth is safe in metropolitans of the continent
Old November 3, 2001, 13:57   #13
smellymummy
King

Quote:
Originally posted by shammy
barbarians rock at wiring cash from my account
i have a continent and an island with one city. then.. uprising in the island which is undefended, 5 horsemen enter the city and each will take 44 gold from me,. totaling 5*44gold :P
would be nice to get some logic into this,. so they couldnt suck my gold deposit dry through one desolate city, i would think 95% of my wealth is safe in metropolitans of the continent
whoa what kind of barbarian difficulty level are you playing at?

At the 2nd level, the barbarian threat is very minor btw. There is no seaborn barbarian either. Pirating is done by civs, with a very weak sea unit called "privateer". It acts much like the privateer in the game colonization.

I played also at the 3rd level of barbarian difficulty and I'll admit they're camps seemed to be spawning around much more often.
Old November 3, 2001, 16:29   #14
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 16:59
I think you can see naval barbarians (pirates) only if there is some barbarian tribe near ocen (like barabrian villages in scandinavia & you are in France)
Old November 3, 2001, 16:38   #15
KoalaBear33
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Dida
does barbarians settle only in the unexploered area or area with fog of war ?
Barbarians settle in areas outside the borders. So this means that Barbarians are in areas that have been explored in the past but no one has a claim to it (ie. fog of war area which belongs to no one).

KoalaBear33