Old March 8, 2000, 16:17   #1
jluchford
Settler

Local Time: 19:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
simple map question -how to place city
The MGE map editor lets you "draw" maps easy but doesn't have a "help" feature (you guys here create who scenarios so prob. don't even use it?)
The question is "How do you insert or move a city in a map?" It has a feature to modify a city size, but how to put the city in, or move one is the dumb question I need answered...)
Old March 8, 2000, 19:08   #2
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:35
Local Date: October 31, 2010
jluchford,

Please note, I have FW but not MPG Edn, but assume the Map Editor's the same.

The map editor only places the starting point for the tribes once you begin the game on a pre-made map - as such, it doesn't actually even place cities, you need to build them once the game starts.

When developing a scenario, it is advisable to change the settler movement rate (in rules.txt) from '1' to '0' - that way they don't go running around should you accidently end your turn. Change the movement rate for the settler back once you have your game set up though!

Avoid ending the turn - the AI will take run your tribes for a turn, which can have problematic results, and you may need to resort to the autosaved game to start again.

So, start with the white tribe on a pre-made map. Reveal the map in cheat mode, and start plonking down settlers where you want cities to be. Use the wait ('w') command (if required) once you've placed your settlers to cycle through them until you get to the one where you want your capital to be. Build your white tribe cities, but do not end the turn. Using cheat, swap over (Set Human Player) to the green tribe and do the same, then dark blue,...

Once you've finished with the purple tribe, go back to the white tribe where you can start changing the city sizes and adding units, city and terrain improvements, and revealing the map by tribe (as you consider appropriate). Be careful with Wonders - once placed you're stuck with them! Save often.

Moving a city is a pain, and it's best if this is never an issue you need to deal with. Two possible approaches include - creating an events file and an event that will trigger a 'changeterrain' action on the city's tile/square (see macro.txt in your Civ2 folder for info' on events). Alternately you can 'almost' build a settler with the size one city and play the game for a turn, where ideally you will be given the option of eliminating the city.

Should you have settlers placed in the wrong position for whatever reason, use 'Destroy All Units at Cursor' - although always leave at least one settler or one city, or else you'll destroy the tribe.
[This message has been edited by Cam (edited March 08, 2000).]
Old March 9, 2000, 00:41   #3
Fast_Eddie

I just hit shift-d in cheat mode. Deletes it good.

oh, did you mean DURING the game?

Old March 9, 2000, 03:12   #4
Cam
King

Local Time: 09:35
Eddie - hmmm... learn something about Civ every day! I never tried to delete a city using Shift-D before!
Old March 17, 2000, 19:43   #5
tolstoy
Settler

Local Time: 00:05
If you start the scenerio with the first civ you don't have to worry about the other civs settlers moving anyway. But I'm still having problems keeping that first civ from gaining money, production and food every time I save and load the scenario. Its a real pain resetting all the things I set up everything I continue working on my scenarios.