Old July 7, 2000, 10:56   #1
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 22:40
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I need help with Civ 2 MGE
Can someone help me? I just got MGE and I think it's quite good, the one problem is that at the end of each turn on a single player game, all computer players are reset to hate me, this happens every turn, All I do is fight wars, in fact I have gone back to Civ2 normal just to play a propper game, can any one help.
Old July 7, 2000, 11:03   #2
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

Local Time: 17:40
MGE AI is inherently more hostile.

check out some of the older threads in the strategy forum. Its been discussed quite a bit, especially in certain challenges (OCC) and scenarios.

One for starters would be Is it MGE or me?

------------------
As your elected chieftain, I pledge to expand our tribe's power and influence so that we may become rulers of the region, and I, your warlord.

*sounds of applause and cheers*
*chants of SCG! SCG! SCG!*
[This message has been edited by SCG (edited July 07, 2000).]
Old July 7, 2000, 11:28   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Heh Heh Heh... Welcome to the world of MPE.
I guess they wanted the AI to be as nasty as human players

If you are going to play SP or scenarios, keep CivII around...
Old July 7, 2000, 13:19   #4
Lazlo
Chieftain

Local Time: 22:40
Grumf!!! Too bad I don´t have the CIV2 classic anymore!
Hasbro/Microprose should be put under trial because of false publicity. In their box they tell you that you would get the original civ2, CinC and FW. At the end, you just get the multiplayer vertion becuase the SP is, with this AI bug, quite uninteresting to play (at least for me).
Old July 7, 2000, 18:54   #5
Ken Hinds
Prince

And here I thought I was constantly getting stomped by Jesus's and Harlan's scenarios because of the fiendishness of the designers and it was just the normal game behavior all along.

Ken
Old July 8, 2000, 00:12   #6
Smash
Emperor

Local Time: 14:40
There is nothing that can be done.Learn the way of the warrior and destroy them.

I'm almost convinced this is caused by being able to manually set attitudes in MP.I'm not sure how to explain my hunch but in MP games with ais,when you join late(hot join),any conflict that that civ was part of is "forgotten" and you are approached on your first turn or before your first turn and a treaty is offered.Its good in that you don't find yourself in the middle of war you know nothing about and had no part in starting but I do beleive this process causes this problem.

Buy MGE for MP.MP play alone makes it worth it but don't follow their instructions and send your original copy to them.$10 isn't worth it.

Scour the world for a seperate copy of Fantastic Worlds add-on.
Old July 8, 2000, 11:40   #7
kcbob
King

Local Time: 16:40
Someone once told me that "nyet" is Russian for "Yes, but..."

Look at it this way. If you have the MGE version (like I do) and you eventually reach a point where you can beat it on a regular basis, maybe once in three or four games on deity level, then you must be pretty good. And you definitely get a good challenge each game. At least it's not boring.

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.
Old July 8, 2000, 14:01   #8
Empress
The Empress

Have you played a multiplayer game with humans yet? I have become so addicted to the human interaction and impending stratigies that I haven't played against the a/i in about 2 years!

Hey kcbob, I noticed in your sig that you have "Frodo Lives!" I sure hope he does. I am just getting into The Return of the King and Frodo has just been bitten by the Shelob and the Orcs have taken him! Which reminds me, I think I shall go read some more

------------------
Apolyton Empress
My first Web Page
Vacation Pics!
Old July 8, 2000, 22:25   #9
MacUser
Prince

Hey Emp, I'll go tell Sheila that your reading Tolkin! It'll warm her heart far more than the latest Civ news (which I seem to flood her with! ) KCBob, I previously pointed out your sig to her! Have you guys seen the QT movie trailer for the up coming film? Go to Apple's website and select Movie Trailers under QuickTime. It's cool, but VERY large! I only was able to view it after bagging AOL; they kept cutting off the feed.

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
Old July 9, 2000, 23:41   #10
Empress
The Empress

Well, Sam just rescued him from the Orcs and he and frodo are currently being hunted. I am dying to know if Frodo destroys the ring or if its Sam. I really think people don't give Sam the credit he deserves. I felt soo bad for him when Frodo lashed out at him for taking the ring when if it weren't for Sam, the ring would have gone into the hand of the enemy straight away!!
Old July 10, 2000, 00:34   #11
kcbob
King

Empress, I hope I haven't given away too much with my signature. Let me say this. Frodo does live but not like you're going to expect. And if this is your first time reading the trilogy, I envy you and the thrill you're experiencing.

And, MacU, yes, I have seen the trailer. In fact, I have it downloaded on my hard drive AND on a CD. I've seen it more times than I should and not as many times as I'd like. The movies are going to be absolutely AWESOME!!!

------------------
Frodo lives!

Better dead than "Red"... or green... or blue... or yellow... or orange... or purple... or white.

[This message has been edited by kcbob (edited July 09, 2000).]
Old July 10, 2000, 23:12   #12
Empress
The Empress

Guess what!? I found out who destorys the ring!! and I must say, it was unexpected, although in retrospect I should have seen it comming. I mean, there were outright clues all along!
Old July 11, 2000, 06:45   #13
MacUser
Prince

"I LOVE it when a plan comes together!"
- Leader of "A-Team" (late 70's US TV show)

So KCBob, how did you manage to download the entire trailer??? I have the "Pro" version of QT, so I can save, but never the actual movie; only a link to the web page! And if memory serves, I got a message that said the file could not BE saved! That's rather frustrating when you consider that the real reason that I forked of the the $20 or 30 bucks for the full version of QT was to save files!

Boy, talk about OT! we moved from griping about the MPG AI to LOR to saving QT movies :O

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
Old July 11, 2000, 08:50   #14
SCG
Civilization II Democracy GameCivilization II Succession GamesCivilization II Democracy Game: Red Front
King

quote:

Originally posted by MacUser on 07-11-2000 06:45 AM
"I LOVE it when a plan comes together!"
- Leader of "A-Team" (late 70's US TV show)

- Col. John "Hannibal" Smith, right at the end of each episode.

Actually it was an early 80's US TV show (tuesday nights at 8pm EST on ABC - Nah, I never watched it )

------------------
As your elected chieftain, I pledge to expand our tribe's power and influence so that we may become rulers of the region, and I, your warlord.

*sounds of applause and cheers*
*chants of SCG! SCG! SCG!*
Old July 11, 2000, 21:27   #15
Empress
The Empress

The A-Team. Ahh memories....

Yeah, sorry for bringing this thread a bit off track. Forgive me??
Old July 11, 2000, 22:20   #16
MacUser
Prince

Thanks SCG! I was pulling my hair on that one! I new it was sometime around high school for me (Grad 1981) but I thought it might have been earlier.

------------------
Different is GOOD!

AOL IM--JacSamDad
Old July 13, 2000, 17:32   #17
Sten Sture
Emperor

Local Time: 14:40
The A-team ran from for 98 episodes between 1983-1987.

George Peppard's classic role was opposite Audrey Hepburn in Breakfast at Tiffany's in 1961.

gotta love IMDB.com!

-------
Class of '83

Old July 13, 2000, 20:02   #18
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Well, Empress, have you finished reading the LOTR books, or did you just happen to learn the ending elsewhere? It's been so long since I came across someone reading the books for the first time, I'm quite curious about your progress and reactions.

------------------
Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance...
Old July 13, 2000, 21:02   #19
Empress
The Empress

quote:

Originally posted by cavebear on 07-13-2000 08:02 PM
Well, Empress, have you finished reading the LOTR books, or did you just happen to learn the ending elsewhere? It's been so long since I came across someone reading the books for the first time, I'm quite curious about your progress and reactions.

I just read it all by myself! Although as it nears the end of the book I find myself putting off finishing it. I always do that with good books, In a way I hate to finish them b/c then they are gone. I am just at the begining of "The Scouraging of the Shire."

I must say, I think Sam is the true hero through all this. Do you agree?

Old July 13, 2000, 22:11   #20
cavebear
Civilization II Democracy Game
Emperor

Empress, Samwise (note the "wise") is one of the true heroes of the story. Often a comedic foil at the beginning, he is one of the characters who exhibits real personal growth through the story. Sam is the character who maintains solid connections to the "real" world through all the trials and tribulations of the adventure.

Sam is the one who comes through the whole story still as himself, with the same concerns and perspective as when he left the Shire, but more understanding of the World. The other characters grow or change, but Sam is still Sam. In many ways, Sam is the central character of the whole story. He's not the hero, but he is at the center of action in so much of the tale.

------------------
Proud participant in GameLeague...

Proud Warrior of the O.W.L. Alliance...