Local Date: October 31, 2010
Trade: The final word
Don't know if it's been posted before, but I noticed this on Civ Fanatics site:

http://viewer.ign.com/media_page.jsp...e/aciv3024.jpg

That's trade routes in CIV III.

Any Questions?
Old October 24, 2001, 01:33   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:05
This also explains naval blockades

My gawd- did Firaxis do their homework for this game, or what?!?!
Old October 24, 2001, 02:12   #3
Nenad
Chieftain

Local Time: 16:05
What are conditions for a naval blockade? Is there enough to have only one (let's say) trireme inside two (or how much) tiles from the harbor to block it, or you have to occupy every single sea tile next to the city?
Old October 24, 2001, 02:36   #4
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Besides the Civilopedia entry, I don't think there is anymore info on blockades at this time.

So I couldn't tell ya'.
Old October 24, 2001, 22:57   #5
Mihai
CTP2 Source Code Project
Warlord

Local Time: 17:05
"a visible water route" - if that means that you can make a blockade in a straight, it's great!
Old October 24, 2001, 23:01   #6
Mihai
CTP2 Source Code Project
Warlord

"a visible water route" - if that means that you can make a blockade in a strait, it's great!
Old October 24, 2001, 23:21   #7
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Local Time: 07:05
Quote:
"a visible water route"
ACtually, Dan "My Man" Mag said that its viable (meaning you need the tech like Navigaion, to have a trade route which goes across ocean squares)
Old October 24, 2001, 23:29   #8
Genghis John
Settler

Local Time: 22:05
My take on this was that a trade route across an area of water needed three things:

1. Harbors in both cities

2. Visible water route, meaning you've explored or traded for someone's map that shows where that city is (i.e. not hidden by black squares

3. The proper sailing technology to reach your goal. i.e. no tiremes crossing a huge sea for example.

IIRC there are three types of ocean squares, that different ship units have different chances of crossing. Modified now by the suddenly more important lighthouse/magellen's expedition type of wonders.

GJ
Old October 25, 2001, 00:18   #9
KrazyHorse
Deity

This is excellent. The trade system lives up to my highest expectations.
Get Rich or Die Tryin'
Old October 25, 2001, 00:21   #10
gopher
Warlord

Hmmm.....I wonder if it's possible to buy resources from other Civs for a certain price, then sell that same one to others.
16 Civs in a game, one goods (and arms?) dealer.
How sweet would that be?
Old October 25, 2001, 00:33   #11
vovan
Apolyton UniversityCivilization IV CreatorsSporeApolyton Storywriters' GuildC3CDG Blood Oath HordeC4DG The Horde
Emperor

Local Time: 09:05
An abstract question about iron and resource monopolies.
What wonder about is the following:
Let's say there are several civilizations (well, obviously). Let's say my civilization has a certain resource. Let's say it is iron. Now, all the other civilizations are willing to pay me 10 lumps of gold (or pieces, or coins, or units, or whatever gold is measured in) per turn for my iron. Now, let's say I have found all the sources of iron in the world and control them. (also, I am so powerful, that the other civilization will never be able to take the iron from me by the means of war). So, what I am wondering about is, will the prices for iron go up then? Would the other civilizations be "willing" to pay me more for the iron, since there is no ther way to get it?
Spore page
Old October 25, 2001, 00:38   #12
Shiva
Prince

You should be able to set the price higher. Doesnt mean there will be any one who is willing to pay it. Also, hopefully the AI will reply in kind.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 25, 2001, 00:56   #13
Blake
lifer
PolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerC4DG Gathering StormCivilization IV CreatorsApolyton UniversityApolytoners Hall of Fame
Beyond the Sword AI Programmer

Local Time: 04:05
Local Date: November 1, 2010
I think the question was:

Is it some sort of pre-programmed value, like the AI always pays 2 gold per turn?

Or does it have a dynamic market value, depending on how many 'spare' resources civs have, and how many civs the spares are spread over.
Ofcourse, this market value would be hidden to the player, and only used by the AI to determine if a price is fair.

I think it will have some sort of supply/demand market value, so the AI will pay more if you have a monopoly. I think this also because almost EVERYTHING will need to have a value, in order for the AI's to be able to make sensible trades.
Old October 25, 2001, 01:03   #14
Shiva
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Blake
I think the question was:

Is it some sort of pre-programmed value, like the AI always pays 2 gold per turn?

Or does it have a dynamic market value, depending on how many 'spare' resources civs have, and how many civs the spares are spread over.
Ofcourse, this market value would be hidden to the player, and only used by the AI to determine if a price is fair.

I think it will have some sort of supply/demand market value, so the AI will pay more if you have a monopoly. I think this also because almost EVERYTHING will need to have a value, in order for the AI's to be able to make sensible trades.
It would be silly to have a set market value as thats not the way it works in real life (for the most part). I doubt they would do that. The AI should judge if a trade is worth it and how much it would be willing to pay. It should always be in flux because of differing situations.
The eagle soars and flies in peace and casts its shadow wide Across the land, across the seas, across the far-flung skies. The foolish think the eagle weak, and easy to bring to heel. The eagle's wings are silken, but its claws are made of steel. So be warned, you would-be hunters, attack it and you die, For the eagle stands for freedom, and that will always fly.

Darkness makes the sunlight so bright that our eyes blur with tears. Challenges remind us that we are capable of great things. Misery sharpens the edges of our joy. Life is hard. It is supposed to be.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:57   #15
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

http://apolyton.net/forums/showthrea...threadid=30330