Old October 24, 2001, 07:20   #1
Grumbold
Emperor

Local Time: 16:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Wheeled units in mountains
Great to see that wheeled units cannot enter jungle or mountains except by road. It got me wondering though. Will wheeled units or armies containing wheeled units be able to attack enemies in adjacent mountain/jungle tiles? I would hope the answer is no*.

*except by bombardment, because we pretend the tiles are not 100+ miles across when playing with artillery.
Old October 24, 2001, 07:43   #2
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:05
Good question Grum..

I would hope that mixed armies wouldn't be able to enter these harsh terrains. Usually, it is more difficult for an army to maneuver, let alone enter terrain such as mountains and jungles.

And I guess when artillery is involved, we consider them to be 'at the edge of the tile' while bombarding the adjacent squares.

But it is only a game afterall! [ I can't believe I just said that!]
Old October 24, 2001, 07:58   #3
Fredric Drum
Warlord

Local Time: 16:05
Quote:
Originally posted by Anunikoba
Good question Grum..

I would hope that mixed armies wouldn't be able to enter these harsh terrains. Usually, it is more difficult for an army to maneuver, let alone enter terrain such as mountains and jungles.

And I guess when artillery is involved, we consider them to be 'at the edge of the tile' while bombarding the adjacent squares.

But it is only a game afterall! [ I can't believe I just said that!]

It most certainly is not!

But.. if it was.. very few battles are (to the best of my knowledge) are fought in the jungle, swamps, or mountains, and then with foot soldiers only. So I would hope this is the case in the "game" as well.

Fred
Old October 24, 2001, 13:13   #4
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 17:05
I am happy to hear that, too. You will have a good mixture of any unit type (and hopefully the needed resources), to be victorious.
Old October 24, 2001, 13:17   #5
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 10:05
I'm sure the units will be able to attack into forest tiles, however will not be able to occupy them, which means that forrest colonies have to be captured by infantry, not armor.

A nice nuance of this new feature is that if on the world map, the Indians are protected from Chinese armor attacks except from the area around Burma and Persia. I really like that mountains now are the true natural bottlenecks they should be.
Old October 24, 2001, 13:31   #6
Sabre2th
King

Local Time: 11:05
This is one of the few things I liked about the CtP series. I'm happy to see it made it in civ3.
Old October 24, 2001, 15:33   #7
Crouchback
Warlord

Wheeled units seem to mostly have bombard ability, so they should be able to shell enemy units passing through adjactent mountains and jungles I hope. In one of the old previews someone from Firaxis talked about the value of putting cannons in a fort on top of a mountain, presumably with a road, which sounds cool.

David
Old October 24, 2001, 15:59   #8
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
Wheeled units seem to mostly have bombard ability, so they should be able to shell enemy units passing through adjactent mountains and jungles I hope. In one of the old previews someone from Firaxis talked about the value of putting cannons in a fort on top of a mountain, presumably with a road, which sounds cool.

David
Wheeled units would most likely mean mech infantry and armor (I know they're tracked, but I think that's the most likely intention of the preview writer)
Having tanks and mech infantry limited where they can move is a big deal in the end game