Old October 24, 2001, 09:06   #1
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Local Time: 10:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis! For God's sake, please fix word wrap in the Jackal engine!
Have a look at this picture from the IGN preview. Notice how the word "improvement" has a space in front of it. This exact same problem was present in the SMAC Datalinks; any time there's a link markup in the raw help file, any following spaces that break across a word wrap boundary are not suppressed, so the next line is gratuitously indented.

I know it's a nitpick, but it detracts from the otherwise clean presentation of SMAC/Civ III's messages, and it should only require a small bit of additional programming to get right. (I bloody well ought to know, having helped write two word processors in the past.)

What's disappointing is that I reported this bug to Firaxis in regard to SMAC over two years ago, and it was never judged important enough to fix. How can they just ignore this? It sticks out like a sore thumb when I look at it. Forty-five minutes of work, and the problem is gone for good!

Heh. I'll go get my coffee now.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:18   #2
saracen31
Warlord

Local Time: 15:06
Agreed - it would be simple code to fix. Surprised they haven't done it.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:33   #3
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 16:06
Nitpicking indeed, but creating an epic game like Civilization III and leaving this is just silly.

Good observation!
Old October 24, 2001, 09:47   #4
SITS
King

True. Although when I first saw the screenshot I didn't notice it. Oh my gawd! You've ruined the game for me now! I will see it all the time!!!!

'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 24, 2001, 09:53   #5
Lee Johnson
Warlord

ROFL!
Old October 24, 2001, 09:54   #6
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:06
At first, I didn't notice the spacing problem either. But now that Lee has pointed it out, I have to agree with SITS, this spacing error (if you want to call it that) will now stick-out to me every time it occurs! Firaxis, it is a simple problem. Please fix it.
Old October 24, 2001, 09:58   #7
Deathwalker
Prince

Good Catch, But at the end of the day do you want them to delay the release of the game just to fix that.
After all they will probaby release a patch, they could fix it in that, If they haven't already fixed it before they went gold
Old October 24, 2001, 10:00   #8
Lee Johnson
Warlord

Obviously, we're talking about fixing it in a patch. It's too late for the gold master, and in any case, I wouldn't want them to hold the game up for what amounts to a cosmetic defect.
Old October 24, 2001, 10:00   #9
SITS
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathwalker
Good Catch, But at the end of the day do you want them to delay the release of the game just to fix that.
After all they will probaby release a patch, they could fix it in that, If they haven't already fixed it before they went gold
Yes, they should melt down all the discs they've made so far!!! it will drive me mad I say. Completely barmy!!!!

'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna