Old October 24, 2001, 09:32   #1
Mookie
Settler

Local Time: 16:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pathfinding
One of my biggest worries for Civ3 is the pathfinding... I think the pathfinding in Civ2 was totaly horrible and made the goto option absolutely useless. How hard can it bee!!! What do you think, is it fixed this time?
Old October 24, 2001, 09:53   #2
SITS
King

Local Time: 15:06
Yeah, I loved it when I sent I unit one way and it started to go in the other! What fun!

I did see I post months ago from Firaxis that they had sorted it but then I did see a post months ago saying there would be MP....
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 24, 2001, 09:55   #3
Acemo
Civilization III Multiplayer
Warlord

Local Time: 10:06
the pathfinding in SMAC was much improved, although it fouled up occasionally also. hopefully they have fixed these minor problems.
the feature that allowed you to see the exact path the unit will take was extremely helpful.
Old October 24, 2001, 10:04   #4
SITS
King

Not only do I want to see good pathfinding it would nice if it moved the units in an order that makes sense. I.E. you have a worker making a road and a Pikeman wanting to move there. It would be great if the the program chose the worker first then moved the Pikeman so he could use the road. Now that would allow me to trust the computer to move for me...
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 24, 2001, 11:13   #5
Grumbold
Emperor

I thnk you're being way to hopeful there, SITS. Ah, I remember the days of invading with 30 engineer units in the forefront, building a railroad into the enemy country
Old October 24, 2001, 11:24   #6
Rakki
Warlord

Local Time: 01:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
i think in one of the ask the developers updates they are firmly convinced that the civ 3 pathfinding will work *perfectly*.
Old October 24, 2001, 11:27   #7
hexagonian
The Courts of Candle'Bre
Emperor

I hope there is a number on the path that lets the player see how many turns it will take to get to a particular location.
Yes, let's be optimistic until we have reason to be otherwise...No, let's be pessimistic until we are forced to do otherwise...Maybe, let's be balanced until we are convinced to do otherwise. -- DrSpike, Skanky Burns, Shogun Gunner
...aisdhieort...dticcok...
Old October 24, 2001, 11:32   #8
Mookie
Settler

Yeah, like in Heroes of Might and Magic. I've never played AC, but I'm glad to hear that it's pathfinding was a lot better
Old October 24, 2001, 15:44   #9
Crouchback
Warlord

Any path that doesn't leave my precious settlers/workers running right into the nearest enemy unit would be a massive improvement on every other civ game I've ever played. But only playing time will tell... 23 days and counting.

David
Old October 24, 2001, 16:49   #10
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Crouchback
Any path that doesn't leave my precious settlers/workers running right into the nearest enemy unit would be a massive improvement on every other civ game I've ever played. But only playing time will tell... 23 days and counting.

David
7 days, ahhhhh I love being in the US...
Old October 24, 2001, 16:56   #11
Admiral PJ
PtWDG Lux Invicta
Prince

Give Firaxis a break,
coding accurate pathfinding is a nightmare,
I'm starting on coding pathfinding for a game , and its very tough.
I'm trying to get it to take into account obstacles and slow forests/slopes . You have to somehow get the unit to find the shortest route to somewhere around seas and enemy positions, without getting blocked by enemy units and making sure you can defend yourself if ambushed.
Basically the path is as long as a piece of string.. its very complex with hundreds of different routes a unit could go from one side of the map to the other.
I suppose the pathfinding also affects how large maps and continents can be, civ2's pathfinding seems amazing for all the factors it has to take into account.. can't wait to see civ3's.
Old October 24, 2001, 17:14   #12
Civ Dave
Chieftain

from what I saw from the videos, it looked like pathfinding was in.... and it looked pretty straight forward (a-la CTP)

I hope its in, because without stacked armies, it'll be hard as hell to move lots of units at the same time