Old March 29, 2000, 21:27   #1
shamrock
Warlord

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Editing a map after it's been created?
So what do you do when you find that perfect map you've been looking for except it's not quite big enough? In the map I've just found, I would really like to add about 10 more rows on the bottom. Is there any way to do this?? (Damn, why isn't there a cut and paste feature in the map editor?!? )

BTW, I've tried that map utility by Flinchbaugh with extremely limited success. Has anyone gotten this utility to work effectively?
[This message has been edited by shamrock (edited March 29, 2000).]
Old March 29, 2000, 22:11   #2
The ANZAC
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 19:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I think you can use a hex editor, but I'm not sure. If anyone else has an idea post it!
Old March 30, 2000, 08:18   #3
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Local Time: 16:05
Yes, there is a way, you have to hex edit the file but its very easy. I should say, its very easy if you want to add to the south, much more difficult if you want to add in other directions. I'll be writing a Scenario League on this in the next few days.

Its the same thing you do to make an oversized map, one that is larger than the usual maximum size. In a nutshell, the first four hexes are like this:

98 00 83 00

The first number is the map X value doubled, the third number is the map Y value (in hexidecimal numbering system). Download Hexedit or other like programs found free on the net. Then add to the first number, and more ocean will show up in the south, which you can then change to something else.

Oh yeah, and with the Flinchbaugh utility, yes I have gotten it to work. It took me a long time to figure out how to really use it well. Now I have a really good method I'll also be writing about when I get the chance.
[This message has been edited by Harlan (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old March 30, 2000, 23:26   #4
shamrock
Warlord

Thanks Harlan, that was easy! I did need the extra squares in the south so it worked perfectly. Now my 100x80 map has just been transformed to a 100x90 map!

So what's the deal with the error message after I load the map? What causes it? Is it safe to ignore it, i.e. could it cause an error message during the game?

Looking forward to your SL post on map editing, Flinchbaugh utility, and any other hexedit secrets you know. Thanks again!
[This message has been edited by shamrock (edited March 30, 2000).]
[This message has been edited by shamrock (edited March 30, 2000).]
Old March 31, 2000, 08:35   #5
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Glad it worked. The error message is cos you say your map is ten extra spaces to the south, but when the computer looks for the info on those spaces, there's nothing there- the total file size conflicts with the lack of details on that extra section. Luckily you can ignore the error and resave the file, at which point those empty terrain spots are filled with ocean in the newly saved file.

According to a post by Mercator in the general Civ2 forum, he's working on a program that will do all of this and more, so I'm happy to say I don't need to write the Scenario League tip anymore.

About the Flinchbaugh utility, my use of it I mentioned also will now be obsolete. I used it to do a primative cut and paste by converting a program to CTP format, then editing the text file in that format, then converting it back. If Mercator's new program does cut and paste, there won't be any need for that.
Old March 31, 2000, 08:46   #6
Harlan
Apolytoners Hall of Fame

Oh yeah,
and that error message will cause you no further problems. Oversized maps are not buggy.
Old April 2, 2000, 06:34   #7
Eru Ilúvatar
Settler

I've heard of a utility that converts maps to bitmaps and vice versa. Is this the Flinchbaugh utility? Otherwise, you could export a map, make it a little longer with Paint Shop, and convert it back.