Old October 24, 2001, 18:08   #61
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 10:06
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Here's the first screenshot of pollution?

Avault: Pollution Next to London

Looks like a mudslide more then pollution, when i think pollution I think darker and blacker, but I'm just guessing.
Old October 24, 2001, 18:13   #62
SerapisIV
King

Here's the Military Advisor:

Avault: Military Advisor

Apparently each government allows certain amount of free units (also dependent on population factors I'm sure). Each unit above that free limit costs 1 gold/unit. No scaled upkeep costs, for say an infantry unit versus a battleship. Each unit costs the same in upkeep.

Damn, look at the map too, that's gonna take a while to conquer. And the AI fills in every piece of land it can, no massive holes in a civilizations territory
Old October 24, 2001, 18:27   #63
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 07:06
I like this modem aerial view shot. http://www.avault.com/featured/large...024&height=768
Old October 24, 2001, 18:35   #64
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveJH
I like this modem aerial view shot. http://www.avault.com/featured/large...024&height=768
Yeah, someone's going for the one-city culture victory with all those wonders in one place. Damn is he begging for a Nuke.
Old October 24, 2001, 18:39   #65
SteveJH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV

Yeah, someone's going for the one-city culture victory with all those wonders in one place. Damn is he begging for a Nuke.
lol... I think it would be pretty ignorant to put all your wonders in one city if your going for the cultural victory. All a warmonger has to do is take that one city and your done.
Old October 24, 2001, 18:44   #66
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:06
Quote:
lol... I think it would be pretty ignorant to put all your wonders in one city if your going for the cultural victory. All a warmonger has to do is take that one city and your done.
Actually, because cities will revert back to their "old" culture if the rating in that city is much higher, it will be quite difficult if not almost impossible to hold on to that particular city (since it will have a huge culture rating) if you attack it without defeating the surrounding cities first. And if you've already successfully attacked the surrounding cities, the game is most likely over before taking the wonder city anyway.
Old October 24, 2001, 18:46   #67
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:06
Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Clark
I should be able to have my beloved Vet Knights in 2000 bc without having the game forcing me to wait, right?
Wrong. You must research all techs, except for a chosen few, before you can go to the next age.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:15   #68
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Local Time: 11:06
I believe all scientific techs need to be discovered before moving to next era. "Artistic" techs (writing,literature,etc.) can be skipped. Sid said this in an interview. No, Im not going to get the link.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:15   #69
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:

Looks like a mudslide more then pollution, when i think pollution I think darker and blacker, but I'm just guessing.
I believe this is not pollution. I saw a modern era screenshot a week or two ago that had what looked like thin black clouds over squares, and the consensus here was that was pollution. So I guess that orange stuff near London is some sort of resource, but I'm not sure which one.

Also, I believe we've seen in other shots that cities which are producing pollution have a haze/smog cloud over them on the game map. Since we don't see that over London, I'm guessing it's not currently polluting.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:24   #70
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

You guys are awesome. I wonder if AVaults webmaster still has a job.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:33   #71
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Quote:
Hmmm...anybody think that civ will need some skilled airline pilots? No room for error, eh?

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:34   #72
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:06
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
Actually, because cities will revert back to their "old" culture if the rating in that city is much higher, it will be quite difficult if not almost impossible to hold on to that particular city (since it will have a huge culture rating) if you attack it without defeating the surrounding cities first. And if you've already successfully attacked the surrounding cities, the game is most likely over before taking the wonder city anyway.
Holding onto the city is irrelevant here. If you're going for that culture victory, chances are that you are relying on those wonders producing 100 CP each, but after the city has been occupied, even for only one turn, the CP production is cut. If you regain the city, each wonder will only produce about 10 CP, which is a significant set-back. Once a city is conquered, it loses any age bonuses.

About the AVaults list, congratulations everyone involved
Old October 24, 2001, 19:36   #73
El hidalgo
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by HalfLotus
I believe all scientific techs need to be discovered before moving to next era. "Artistic" techs (writing,literature,etc.) can be skipped. Sid said this in an interview. No, Im not going to get the link.
I see your general point, but I wouldn't consider 'writing' to be a purely artistic tech that can be skipped. I don't think your science would progress very far without writing.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:39   #74
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by El hidalgo

I see your general point, but I wouldn't consider 'writing' to be a purely artistic tech that can be skipped. I don't think your science would progress very far without writing.
I may be wrong about specific techs, but that is the concept.
*Rubs chin* monarchy, republic, monotheism, polytheism.
How bout those?
Old October 24, 2001, 19:46   #75
Pembleton
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Holding onto the city is irrelevant here. If you're going for that culture victory, chances are that you are relying on those wonders producing 100 CP each, but after the city has been occupied, even for only one turn, the CP production is cut. If you regain the city, each wonder will only produce about 10 CP, which is a significant set-back. Once a city is conquered, it loses any age bonuses.
Edit: Never mind, now I understand what you're trying to say. I misunderstood it at first.

Last edited by Pembleton; October 24, 2001 at 19:58.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:49   #76
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by albiedamned
I believe this is not pollution. I saw a modern era screenshot a week or two ago that had what looked like thin black clouds over squares, and the consensus here was that was pollution. So I guess that orange stuff near London is some sort of resource, but I'm not sure which one.

Also, I believe we've seen in other shots that cities which are producing pollution have a haze/smog cloud over them on the game map. Since we don't see that over London, I'm guessing it's not currently polluting.
Yes, but that is cities producing pollution, not actual polluted tiles. You're speaking of the PC.IGN screenshot of Rome with black smoke rising out of it. However, that most likely only signified the presence of a factory or the production of pollution not actually polluted tiles. I think this is the actual polluted tile, not just a city getting ready to pollute a tile.

It is definitely not a resource, even oil doesn't look that nasty.
Old October 24, 2001, 19:57   #77
Grumbold
Emperor

Great job and some interesting reading. I don't like the sound of uber-cavalry in the medieval age because combined arms has been a fact of life since someone invented the sling and the spear. Still, one quibble out of five pages can't be bad. I love the idea that you can't defeat a city but you can shell it into oblivion. Much more like modern warfare than capturing huge cities practically intact and instantly having them working for you
Old October 24, 2001, 20:05   #78
RobC
Warlord

Quote:

Actually that orange goo looks pretty nasty -- radioactive material spill? Quick, call the hazmat teams!!!
Old October 24, 2001, 20:08   #79
albiedamned
Prince

Quote:

Yes, but that is cities producing pollution, not actual polluted tiles. You're speaking of the PC.IGN screenshot of Rome with black smoke rising out of it. However, that most likely only signified the presence of a factory or the production of pollution not actually polluted tiles. I think this is the actual polluted tile, not just a city getting ready to pollute a tile.

It is definitely not a resource, even oil doesn't look that nasty.
I was speaking of both. Here is the thread where we were discussing a screenshot which we suspected showed polluted squares. As you can see, it looks nothing like the orange blob near London! So the question is, if this black "shadow" thing is pollution, then what is the orange blob? And if the orange blob is pollution, then what is the black shadow thing?

Or maybe the answer is that the black shadow screenshot is from an earlier build and they changed it to the orange blob thing!
Old October 24, 2001, 20:10   #80
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

I don't see any Paratroopers. I hope that they arn't replaced by these airdropped units from choppers. That would suck. angry: angry:
Old October 24, 2001, 20:10   #81
Bleyn
Warlord

Local Time: 08:06
ROTFLHAO!!!!!

I always find it amusing when a webmaster forgets how many other people out there know how websites work, and leave pages they didn't want posted where others can get at them :-)

Now, I don't suppose any of you thought to try going after the review before they figured out their opps? I'm guessing nobody got it or it wasn't up yet, or someone would of said something about having it, but I had to ask anyway.

*Sigh* Guess we'll just have to wait to see what sort of tidbits are in there we could have been pouring over now.

C'est La Vie.
Old October 24, 2001, 20:23   #82
HalfLotus
Never Ending Stories
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lawrence of Arabia
I don't see any Paratroopers. I hope that they arn't replaced by these airdropped units from choppers. That would suck. angry: angry:
I remember Sid saying that some of the specialized units are gone. Spy, Caravan, Paratr......be afraid, be very afraid.
Old October 24, 2001, 20:25   #83
Lawrence of Arabia
PtWDG Gathering StormMac
King

Quote:
I remember Sid saying that some of the specialized units are gone. Spy, Caravan, Paratr......be afraid, be very afraid.

hehehe
Old October 24, 2001, 20:41   #84
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Why should they leave paras out? They could as well leave marines out.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.
Old October 24, 2001, 21:22   #85
dennis580
Warlord

I thin thier was a couple of posters whi checked for a review, but they said it wasn't up yet. I guess they probaly haven't had a enough time yet to post a through review.
Old October 24, 2001, 21:23   #86
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by albiedamned
I was speaking of both. Here is the thread where we were discussing a screenshot which we suspected showed polluted squares. As you can see, it looks nothing like the orange blob near London! So the question is, if this black "shadow" thing is pollution, then what is the orange blob? And if the orange blob is pollution, then what is the black shadow thing?

Or maybe the answer is that the black shadow screenshot is from an earlier build and they changed it to the orange blob thing!
Whoops, missed that part. I was talking of a different screenshot, from the PC.IGN preview.

I'm gonna believe the new screenshots are the final pollution and the earlier screenshot was beta graphics. I say this because AVault appears ready to print a review, so I'm assuming their screenshots come from the final release game. Another possibility is that the pollution is animated, and therefore changed colors. (Making it even nastier looking. Maybe the workers cleaning it up will put Bio Suits on, , doubt it)
Old October 24, 2001, 22:04   #87
albiedamned
Prince

Yeah, static screen shots don't really portray animated stuff well. Maybe the orange blob we see is just one frame in a pollution animation. In fact, maybe the black shadow from the other screen shot is part of the same animation!

We'll know next week, right?!
Old October 24, 2001, 23:07   #88
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

I agree with provost from the other thread.. its gotta be just a crease in the paper
Old October 24, 2001, 23:12   #89
SerapisIV
King

Here's two screenshots with the same stuff:

#4 - Sucky English Lands yet building Space Ship? (London pollution)
#5 - Spying on the French (Tours pollution)

Also, on the Tours screenshot, at the very far right, you can see half of another pollution tile. It's gotta be pollution. What else could it be?
Old October 25, 2001, 03:35   #90
LaRusso
King

Local Time: 17:06
Quote:
hehe, what are those two crossed sabres? sun tzu? it looks like the monument saddam constructed in baghdad
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.