View Poll Results: What are your thoughts on Civ Trivia?
I play it, but the questions are to hard 12 14.63%
I play it and am on the leader board 10 12.20%
It's boring but i play it now and then 20 24.39%
It's a useless feature of Civ3.com 26 31.71%
Other (please share) 14 17.07%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 25, 2001, 01:54   #1
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 01:07
Local Date: November 1, 2010
What are your thoughts on Civ Trivia?
What are your thoughts on Civ Trivia?
Old October 25, 2001, 01:58   #2
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 16:07
Local Date: October 31, 2010
It's interesting enough, but I got in too late and have no way of winning, so I stopped playing.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:03   #3
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Local Time: 11:07
I only voted for the "Early Ironclad" one 'cause of special reasons. However, it is a good indication of the kinds of work Dan and Firaxis are likely to be doing on the Net for future games, so it's certainly a great sign.

Good work, Dan.

"Yin": Your friendly, neighborhood negative cosmic force.
Old October 25, 2001, 02:06   #4
Alex 14
Prince

Local Time: 01:07
Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
I only voted for the "Early Ironclad" one 'cause of special reasons.
The only reason i got that one right was because i remembered the black eagle Korean jets in Red Alert 2, so i thought they must be technologiclly advanced in those fields...
Old October 25, 2001, 02:08   #5
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yeah ... it was Admiral Yi Sun-shin's Turtle Boat. Helped soundly defeat a massive Japanese invasion in the 16th century. This was also used in Age of Kings.

And the fact that this trivia game brings up such topics is cool indeed.

Old October 25, 2001, 03:05   #6
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

I thought the Civ Trivia was kewl; up until my original login stopped working.

Plus I had gotten a late start with it, so I just gave up going to Civ Trivia.
Old October 25, 2001, 03:20   #7
Deathwalker
Prince

Local Time: 15:07
I started two late, so as I can't go back and answer the quetiosan I missed. I'll never be able to get on the leader board
Old October 25, 2001, 03:26   #8
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Yes, I think a potential answer to that problem would have been:

Several 'mini' trivia games, one starting each Friday or at some set time instead this long version that most people missed the start of. You could also just put the 3-4 questions to the player at once and leave that set 'open' for a few days for people to show up and try them all (yes, the answers could leak ... but that happens now anyway).

As things stand now, if you missed the start or guessed wrong early, there's little reason to keep following if you are a 'would be nice to win' kind of person.

Old October 25, 2001, 05:37   #9
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:07
Im 2 questions behind the leaders. But i still play. Dont know why.

Btw, thanks Yin for the answer to yesterdays question
Old October 25, 2001, 05:43   #10
Earthling7
Mac
Prince

Local Time: 16:07
Funny, nobody has admitted that the questions are hard...

Is there a prize to be won?
Old October 25, 2001, 06:22   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Well, the truth is that if you wanted to get all the answers correct, all you have to do is start two seperate logins.

Just answer the question on one account- wether you are right or wrong, the game gives you the answer.

Then just go to your other login and put in the correct answer.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:04   #12
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Ah, yes. Well the obvious answer, then, is this:

People can select their answers during the said period of time ... the script logs your answer ... BUT the correct answer is not displayed. Instead, it says:

"Thank you for your participation. Please look for the correct answer and updated scores at the end of the round on noon Friday!"

So when the time-limit is up, the script tallies it all and Dan posts the answer AFTER all the votes are already logged.

Old October 25, 2001, 07:06   #13
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Then we could spent the rest of the time debating the correct answer. Now, of course, if you leave too long to vote, the correct answer eventually WILL surface and people will just try to wait before logging an answer. So perhaps a bunch of mini-rounds lasting no more than 2 days ... and the winner is the one who got the most total questions right over that time?

Old October 25, 2001, 07:19   #14
Sarxis
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by yin26
Ah, yes. Well the obvious answer, then, is this:

People can select their answers during the said period of time ... the script logs your answer ... BUT the correct answer is not displayed. Instead, it says:

"Thank you for your participation. Please look for the correct answer and updated scores at the end of the round on noon Friday!"

So when the time-limit is up, the script tallies it all and Dan posts the answer AFTER all the votes are already logged.
Strange- I had the answer given to me right away. Very strange indeed. Oh, I see now- you are talking about the hypothetical Civ Trivia. Sorry..
Old October 25, 2001, 07:37   #15
yin26
inmate
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Born Again Optimist

Right. The 'new and improved' version. LOL. To refine it further ... once again there should be a packet of questions (perhaps 3) so that if you only had 2 days, it might be hard to get all of them just by asking around. Thus:

* Double logins wouldn't be helpful since you won't see the answers until your points are already tallied...
* Having a packet of questions per round would help make it a more fair assessment across a given number of days (say 2 months). And if you miss one round, you still have a good chance to catch up.
* And delaying the answers those few days would give us a chance to debate the stuff.

Old October 25, 2001, 07:42   #16
Sarxis
Emperor

Yin- this would be a good way to handle a 'serious' online Trivia game.

I do doubt anyone will be getting any prizes for the current Civ Trivia though, since it is so easy to cheat.
Old October 25, 2001, 07:43   #17
Locutus
Apolytoners Hall of FameCiv4 SP Democracy GameCiv4 InterSite DG: Apolyton TeamBtS Tri-LeagueC4BtSDG TemplarsC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV CreatorsCTP2 Source Code ProjectPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 17:07
I think the questions are way too easy, esp. considering the fact that everyone has enough time to look the answers up on search engines and stuff.

Today's question was simply hilarious, I actually laughed out loud when I saw the answers
Old October 25, 2001, 10:11   #18
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 09:07
Having gone on two vacations totalling 17 days in the past 6 weeks, it made it more of an entertaining thing to do as oppose to a contest. Plus, having it display the correct answer while you were thinking kinda took the challenge out of it. I'm all in favor of yin's idea of making it a weekly or renewable contest.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:40   #19
Gryphon
Settler

Local Time: 10:07
i voted useless, besides the fact that you could use two seperate logins you can use several free information services on the net to find the answers, which i did on the questions i didnt know i would assume that a majority of the leader board did not know the answers to a majority of the questions i believe it was more a contest of craftiness rather than knowledge.
Old October 25, 2001, 12:16   #20
Boliao
Chieftain

Local Time: 23:07
I am in the Hall of Fame
I play it everday without fail...I am the last guy with 500+ points ..."Runner" thats me !
Trying very hard to catch up with the second last guy.... I only knew about this site and Civ3.com early october...Damn!

BTW I got today's Trivia about the road thing correct...luckily (I was a civil engineering grad)....phew! so hard to catch up....
Old October 25, 2001, 12:20   #21
SerapisIV
King

Local Time: 10:07
I'm on the board, think it's a fun feature, but also useless feature of the website, I'd rather have a screen of the day instead, or a flash video game where the Civ leaders go at it "Rock'em Sock'em" Bot style. Don't know if many people will get that reference but it's the old plastic game where two people boxed plastic toys until one toy's head popped off.

I readily admit using search sites to answer questions. Some of them like "diplomatic messages in clay balls" would be damn near impossible to answer correctly without it. Besides that, in searching for answers I've learned a good amount of other useless historical info. Any game that forces you to learn new things is a good game
Old October 25, 2001, 12:59   #22
Blaupanzer
lifer
Emperor

Got in late, don't get to it every day. Still, I think it's fun and enjoy playing. Score is in the low 600's, but who cares?
Old October 25, 2001, 14:19   #23
cyril25376
Warlord

Local Time: 17:07
I like it.