Old October 25, 2001, 08:43   #1
iannac
Settler

Local Time: 15:08
Local Date: October 31, 2010
goodie huts
Did I miss a screen shot along the way, or have we not yet seen a hut an a map?
Old October 25, 2001, 10:15   #2
GodSpawn
Prince

I've not seen one yet, but there has been positive confirmation from Firaxis somewhere that they are in the game. (I can't remember where I read that, though...)
Old October 25, 2001, 11:06   #3
Slax
Prince

Local Time: 10:08
Have they been replaced with barbarian encampments (which we also have yet to see)?
Old October 25, 2001, 11:18   #4
Frozen_Vomit
Settler

Local Time: 16:08
expansionist civs get better things from goodie huts- so they must be in
Old October 25, 2001, 11:24   #5
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 17:08
it is actually "[color={qcolor}]Better stuff from barbarian villages [/Color]" for expansionists. But nobody have said that the huts are out.
Anyway I believe they are, and this pic should then be a barbarian village.
Attached Images:

Old October 25, 2001, 11:30   #6
iannac
Settler

thanks gramphos, i knew the huts would be in, but i was just looking for the new image, which i assume wil look similar to your barbarian village...just without the barbarian.
Old October 25, 2001, 11:40   #7
Sava
PolyCast Team
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by iannac
thanks gramphos, i knew the huts would be in, but i was just looking for the new image, which i assume wil look similar to your barbarian village...just without the barbarian.
Gramphos' pic is from a screenshot, I believe, from Civ III. So I don't think they would be his villages. I like this method, because now barbarians don't randomly appear. Kill all the encampments, kill all the barbarians.
Old October 25, 2001, 14:45   #8
rickb
Settler

Local Time: 09:08
Quote:
Kill all the encampments, kill all the barbarians.
Actually I'm thinking about maybe leaving at least some of them around so I can have something to fight without having to go to war with other civs. Bascially use them as "training" for my units to get them up to elite status and maybe get a great leader or two out of it.
Old October 25, 2001, 15:38   #9
Lonestar
inmate
King

Local Time: 11:08
So....you suppose Goodie Huts in the modern Era look like Trailer parks?
Old October 25, 2001, 18:23   #10
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by SoulAssassin

Gramphos' pic is from a screenshot, I believe, from Civ III. So I don't think they would be his villages. I like this method, because now barbarians don't randomly appear. Kill all the encampments, kill all the barbarians.
Actually, encampments will re-appear when destroyed but I'm betting this depends on the level that your Barbarians are set at.

We now have to fight for out goodies... that's awesome! (Old news but still good news, I know)
Old October 25, 2001, 18:33   #11
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
We now have to fight for out goodies... that's awesome! (Old news but still good news, I know)
So I guess that sending a settler out to uncover a goodie/barbarian hut would now be rather foolish...
Old October 25, 2001, 19:45   #12
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Wittlich

So I guess that sending a settler out to uncover a goodie/barbarian hut would now be rather foolish...
Noo, no, because we've got a wonderful new editor! I can make Super Ninja Settlers with an attack of 48! And I can make Atomic Settlers with an attack of 99!
Old October 26, 2001, 13:38   #13
Gramphos
staff
Civilization III MultiplayerC4WDG Team ApolytonCivilization IV: MultiplayerAge of Nations TeamC4BtSDG Realms BeyondCivilization IV Creators
Technical Director

Local Time: 17:08
The updated FAQ confirms that Goodie Huts indeed are replaced with barbarian villages.
Quote:
http://www.civ3.com/faq6.cfm
Conscript units can be received when exploring barbarian villages ("Goody huts")
Old October 26, 2001, 13:45   #14
Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Firaxis Games

Quote:
Originally posted by Gramphos
The updated FAQ confirms that Goodie Huts indeed are replaced with barbarian villages.
Quote:
http://www.civ3.com/faq6.cfm
Conscript units can be received when exploring barbarian villages ("Goody huts")
Actually, there are two kinds of "barbarian villages" -- one is essentially a goody hut "passive barbarians" and the other actually contains barbarian armies "active barbarians" that will seek out (try to) destroy player civs. They look differently on the map as well, so you don't accidentally stroll into an armed barbarian camp thinking it's a goody hut.

They are both called barbarian villages for descriptive purposes, but they serve very different gameplay purposes

Dan
Old October 26, 2001, 13:46   #15
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS

Actually, there are two kinds of "barbarian villages" -- one is essentially a goody hut "passive barbarians" and the other actually contains barbarian armies "active barbarians" that will seek out (try to) destroy player civs. They look differently on the map as well, so you don't accidentally stroll into an armed barbarian camp thinking it's a goody hut.

They are both called barbarian villages for descriptive purposes, but they serve very different gameplay purposes

Dan
Dan one of the recent screenshots shows a captured Barbarian worker. Do the barbarian encampments actually get tile improvements done around them by barbarian workers?
Old October 26, 2001, 13:58   #16
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:08
Thanks for the Info Dan!
Quote:
Originally posted by Dan Magaha FIRAXIS
Dan
Cool! This is definately nice to know. So we will have BOTH aggressive Barbarian Villages and passive (pure "Goodie Hut" style) Barbarian Villages!
Old October 26, 2001, 13:59   #17
korn469
Emperor

Dan,

on the map setup screen it has the chance of barbarians, does this effect the number of goody huts at all? also is there a way to completely cut off goodie huts? one last question, is it possible to get tech, or units or any other goodies (beside captured gold) from hostile barbarian villages?
Old October 26, 2001, 17:52   #18
jsw363
Prince

Local Time: 07:08
Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Dan one of the recent screenshots shows a captured Barbarian worker. Do the barbarian encampments actually get tile improvements done around them by barbarian workers?
THAT would be very interesting. I wonder how the barbarian AI differs from that of a regular civ in terms of building.

Also I think the modern barbarian encampments should be like the militiamen compounds...
Old October 26, 2001, 17:57   #19
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:08
Quote:
Originally posted by Lorizael
And I can make Atomic Settlers with an attack of 99!
Usually silly ideas are not that funny; but this one is.

Free Slobo, lock up George, learn from Kim-Jong-Il.