Old April 11, 2000, 13:51   #1
Tavis
Settler

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Keeping AI as one govt. w/o events?
I'm interested in how to force the AI to use one kind of government without turning off government switching. I found that, if I used the cheat menu to make an AI a fundamentalism at the start, it quickly reverted back to despotism. Would giving the AI civ more cities or units help?

In scenarios like Verne, it seems that the AI is kept in democracy by making the cost of improvements so high that only democracies can pay them. Would this work for Fundamentalism if only that form was was available to the AI? Would denying any happiness improvements or wonders to the AI civ also work?
Old April 11, 2000, 15:08   #2
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 01:05
As you probaly know in order to be able to change the government style to something else than despotism you need to have a tech to allow for that. I.e. Democracy for, well, democracy.
Also you should make sure no one has or can build the Statue of Liberty because it gives instant access to all types of government.

I don't think the cost of improvments does have an influence on the typ of government the AI chooses neither should the happyness improvments or wonders. But I never bothered to check that...

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page http://members.xoom.com/thalys/index.html
[This message has been edited by Hendrik the Great (edited April 11, 2000).]
Old April 12, 2000, 20:53   #3
Tavis
Settler

The problem I was having was that, even when I gave a civ only two choices - Fundamentalism and Despotism - it was reverting to Despotism.

Also, in the Verne scenario, you can research forms other than Democracy. First time I played, I switched to Communism as soon as I could - and then switched right back when I saw the income breakdown! I noticed that the AI would sometimes switch to Republic, but never to Communism, which implies that it does some analysis of the desirability of each...
Old April 12, 2000, 22:06   #4
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 19:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
Did you give the Fundy tech to civ that switched back to Despotism? Just forcing the goverment does not give the tech to the civ.
Old April 14, 2000, 18:52   #5
Tavis
Settler

Y'all are right: the problem arose because I had not given the tech to the civ. When the Fundamentalism tech was active (e.g. preq nil, nil), the civs that had it stayed in Fundamentalism. AI civs that were set to Fundamentalism but lacked the tech for it switched back to Despotism within less than 10 turns. I noted that this also happened if they had the tech but its preqs were set to no, no. Thanks for the help!