Old November 1, 2001, 21:08   #31
Stefan Härtel
Civilization II Democracy Game: ExodusScenario League / Civ2-Creation
King

Local Time: 16:09
Local Date: October 31, 2010
1. The Mongols: From Genghis to Kubilai Khan by Harlan Thompson. It is the only scenario that is laid out at such a great scale to cover all of Asia, and still does it faithfully. Despite the fact that many scenarios have big scale, this is one of the very few ones that succeeds in making it accurate at least most of the time.
2. Alba de America by Jesús Balsinde. In general the same as the "Mongols" one; it depicts the entire world later to be known as "Latin America" with the basic methods given by the game (no fancy multiple rules, events, etc.) and still provides major variety.
3. Imperium Romanum by Bernd Brosing. This one unfortunately lacks the faithfulness in these areas; I just somehow miss the panoramic view of the ancient Mediterranean world, despite that all civs are used for this. It is very strong in other aspects however. It does have faithfulness in depicting the rise of the Romans. It's one of the few scenarios that has you start with as little as one city and a couple of legionnaires, and makes you feel, at least at certain times, that you are tracing the path of the Romans. It also has some of the most beautiful artwork I've ever seen for a Civ2 scenario.
4. Of Celts&Iberians by Jesús Balsinde. Well, you're just conquering one province as the Romans, but it's tough as hell and by the end of it, you've got the feeling you leas your legions to glory. Superb.
5. Ancient Empires: The End of the Bronze Age by Paul "Kull" Cullivan. It is a wonderful depiction of the shifting powers of the ancient orient. You really get the feeling you are experiencing the history you have read in so many books. At a certain time I thought the Hittites would be the greatest dominating power on the map, but I was stabbed in the back by the Babylonians after I had conquered Hattusa. Historical accuracy in another shape. You may not witness the true empires coming to their true glory, but you certainly witness the way other empires did it in reality.
6. The Quest for El Dorado by Jesús Balsinde. This is the most athmospheric scenario I have seen to date, and I am always weeping when I see that the movie with Klaus Kinski mentioned in the readme is running on T.V. but at moments when I just can't watch it. This is the perfect quest&adventure scenario. It is not as monumental as 'Spartacus' for example, but it is well-made in every single aspect.
7. Hellas by John Ellis. While this scenario suffers a bit by the scope and scale it is layed out, it is fun. Unfortunately, it's a bit too easy and hard to get in to at first.
8. The War of 1812 by Tecumseh. It's well-made, fun, and technically innovative. It also is the only scenario I know of that has London, Ontario on the map (hey- I lived there for three years).
9. Cross&Crescent by Bernd Brosing. A good medieval simulation. Good, not perfect, IMHO.
10. 2194 days of war by Capt. Nemo. In fact, a couple of others would propably come before that if I was honest, but I did want to explain why this is my favorite WW2 scenario. Game-wise it's not overdone, not so brutally detailed as many others are. It is large-scale, which is good, as it gives variety to the game. You aren't confronted with any sort of propaganda, even if it's just 'for the flavor' as in other scenarios, as you are allowed to choose your side. I have problems with choosing Germany and the USSR alike, for given reasons. In my opinion, it's the perfect WW2 scenario. For someone who dislikes WW2 scenarios at least.
Old November 1, 2001, 21:26   #32
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Local Time: 10:09
  • Any Harlan Thompson scenario - Duh
  • Red Front -duh
  • Yougoslavia - Loved the Macedonian, nothings better than building up a third world nation like that
  • Second Reich by Jeszenka - Played it as hotseat as all the sides, easily the best WWI scenario
  • Ancient Empires 3000BC - just fun
  • Cruel Sea - love the naval warfare!
  • Imperial Pride + Arabia Awakens by Leon Marrik. Does he still exist? I haven't seen him around, and Imp. Pride would be great with MGE

Of Harlan's scenarios, i like Vikings and Mongols the best. WWII Euro was a wee to hard for me, and and the AI butchered WWII Pacific

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!
Old November 2, 2001, 16:51   #33
Heresson
Scenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStates
Emperor

Local Time: 17:09
RED FRONT

by Alex Mor/Cpt Nemo
It has its faults. Too much units and stuff. Still, it is one of the best scenarios ever. Rarely do I get soo deep into a scenario and get so much fun of it. It was really nice experience, playing it.

MONGOLS
by Harlan Thompson.
It has a fault too. Moslems were too weak. It were Egyptians after all who stopped Mongols, and here Egypt was a piece of cake to crush. At the end, the scenario was getting boring. Still, I found it very nice.

TURKS
by Markus Eklund
Not anything astounding, but was very nice, and more challenging then Mongols.

TIMUR
by Markus Eklund
It wasn't balanced too well, Egyptians conquered all Anatoly in my game, it wasn't very challenging scn too, but still, it is one of a few really well-done scenarios.

VIKINGS-A.T.O
by Mathias Koester
if not the maps, perhaps DaRoE would be listed here too. Anyway, I just like it. It was fun, and note, I'm not interested in Vikings, so the scn must have deserved it.

MUGHALS
by Stefan Haertel
It had one big fault; if I hadn't been reloading the game many times, I wouldn't have captured
a single city... Your units are a bit too weak in comparison to crossbowmen. But except for that all was perfect. Or good enough.

H.R.E. and 30Y.W.
by Jesus Muñoz.
Well-done scenarios with a good atmosphere, something that many -good- scenarios lack, I don't know why.

RIVERWAR
by Allard Hofelt
It was no challenge at all. But so nice and light scn deserves a praise.

DEFENCE OF MADRID and VISIGOTHS
by Jesus Balsinde.
Played as Byzantines, Visigoths were definitely nice, properly tough scn. The same goes to Defence of Madrid. Both have rather moderately amazing artwork in comparison to those scns of today, but everything was different then.

ORBIS TERRAE
by Jorrit Vermeiren
It was something different.

perhaps also
IMPERIUM ROMANUM
by Bernd Brosing...
Well, I didn't get deep into it, and I find it a bit weak in several points,
but generally, Benrd has his style and what I treat as weakeness some other
treat somewhat different.

the Roman scenario by Gabriele Q.
It was overall nice, very nice, deserving listing it here.

as well as some ww2 scn by M.Jeszenka, which I liked very much,
but can't recall the title.

To not offend anybody; there were much more great scenarios, not only by StefanH and JesusB
Old November 2, 2001, 22:02   #34
HisMajestyBOB
Warlord

Local Time: 10:09
Quote:
as well as some ww2 scn by M.Jeszenka, which I liked very much,
Third reich?

I like that one too, only because you could play as the allies, destroying the satanic Nazis and beating the godless Soviets to Berlin

.13 posts per day, and proud of it!