Old March 16, 2000, 15:05   #1
jgv_fiera

City plundering
It's my understanding that whenever you take an enemy city, you plunder as much money as the enemy Civ has -at least if the gold amount is less than 15000, I think. This may be quite absurd and annoying in most scenarios (ie, you just need plundering a small and poor city to get a powerful and rich neighbour completely broke).

Is there any way to prevent these excessive plundering?

Old March 16, 2000, 18:46   #2
ZhugeLiang
Chieftain

Local Time: 00:05
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Plunder all their money? I've never heard of that, I thought it was an amount based on the city size and overall amount they had.....
Old March 16, 2000, 20:25   #3
jgv_fiera

Yes, you're right. I've tested and that's normally the way it is...

But not in my scenario!

Armies just keep on plundering all of a civ's money, and I wish I could fix it. I've seen other scenarios, (namely Jesús Balsinde's "Al Andalus") and this doesn't happen.

Does anyone know what am I doing wrong?

Old March 16, 2000, 21:41   #4
Alinestra Covelia
ACDG The Human HiveRise of Nations Multiplayer
Queen

Local Time: 20:05
Local Date: October 30, 2010
I thought that an invading army plunders gold that is proportional to the amount of production in the city.

If you force the city to have 0 shields' production (say, by making it produce [Capitalism]) it might solve the problem???
Old March 19, 2000, 18:41   #5
jgv_fiera

No, Capitalization didn't make any difference... I don't know, I seem to have done something wrong...

Does any of you experts out there know what's happening? I'd really like to fix that problem so I can finish my Pizarro scenario (and then I'll send you a copy of the new version, AC- I've been working on your comments and I hope you will like it).
[This message has been edited by jgv_fiera (edited March 19, 2000).]

Old March 19, 2000, 20:30   #6
William Keenan
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 19:05
You can send it to me.

Frankly, I'm interested in what you did to make it give the entire civ's treasury up for one city.
Old March 20, 2000, 14:59   #7
ZhugeLiang
Chieftain

If you sent me a copy of the scenerio I'm sure i could find the problem, i dunno if you'd rather not thought thats fine too, my e-mail is

greygandalf20@yahoo.com
Old March 25, 2000, 22:50   #8
jgv_fiera

To William Keenan and ZhugeLiang,

Have you found out something about this city plundering problem? I keep on finding the same weird thing... At least, have you received my e-mail with the scenario?

I'm beginning to think that this problem has no possible fix...

Old March 26, 2000, 15:26   #9
ZhugeLiang
Chieftain

Still testing....a simaler problem has appeared in a scenerio i'm creating about the roman empire....in my scenerio the romans have no city, they first must defeat the etruscian king and capture rome, i was thinking it might have something to do with not having a palace, or the difference in the amount of cities you have...but i can't be sure
Old April 7, 2000, 15:47   #10
Hendrik the Great
Prince

Local Time: 01:05
Alright, here goes nothin'!

What I'm going to write here now is going to be very tedious and it sure won't be fun but maybe, just maybe it might work. Oh, and I sincerly hope you haven't tried this before because if you have I'll have to spend a few days thinking about this.

1. Start a normal scenario session as you would normally do when you want to incorporate some changes.

2. Chose the Castilians or whatwever the guys of Pizarro are called for play.

3. Capture a Incan city.

4. Let the Inca re-capture the city.

5. Re-adjust the treasury of the civs.

6. Repeat to check if the problem still exists. If it does procede with step 7.

7. Repeat step 1, 2 and 3. But then restore money levels to normal again.

8. Do the same as in 7 with the Incas.

9. If it still doesn't work repeat both ways I mentioned for all the capitols. First try 1 to 6 and if it doesn't work try step 7 and 8.

10. If still there is no change try steps 1 to 6 with ALL cities.

11. Then, if no result, try it with ALL cities according to step 7 and 8.

12. Nothing? Perhaps you really should start all over...

13. Still no satisfactory result? Well, I guess you'll just have get yourself that big machete or axe you always wanted and teach that stupid computer of yours a lesson! j/k

I really can't give any guarantee that this might even remotely work. Actually I have never tried this myself but just maybe, just maybe...

On the other hand it is probally easier and less tedious to just start all over again altogether than to try the possibly impossible.

I can understand the frustration you must be getting out of this but believe me you are not alone. I've been there myself which is also one of the reasons my real first scenario never got even remotely close to be playtested or even published.

Good luck!

------------------
Mathias' Civ II Page http://members.xoom.com/thalys/index.html
[This message has been edited by Hendrik the Great (edited April 07, 2000).]
Old April 13, 2000, 16:10   #11
jgv_fiera

First of all, thanks for your help.

Sorry for the delay in aswering, but haven't had too much time this last week.

First time I tried it seemed like it was going to work, but then everything messed up again. I have tried lots of times and this didn't work.

Well, no other way: I'm starting all over, so my Pizarro scenario will take a while before is available...

Old April 14, 2000, 15:53   #12
Xin Yu
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 16:05
Check if the 'WWII specific AI' flag is on. In the WWII scenario if you capture a city in the first turn you get all the money of that civ.
Old April 17, 2000, 18:41   #13
WarVoid
King

In your scenario set up a few barbarian cities and see if that works. I had the same problem and it worked for me. If it dosen't work send the scenario to me and i'll see what I can do.
warvoid@aol.com
Old April 18, 2000, 19:06   #14
jgv_fiera

Well, thanks a lot, WarVoid!

It works! It can be seen you have a lot of experience writing scenarios (I've read your reply to Andz83 on the Civ3 forum).

Regretably, the way I had designed my Pizarro scenario means that I've still have a lot of work to do (I had a lot of units on the map, and they move away when I end the turn...)
Anyway, thanks again to everybody who offered me help with this problem

I just wanted to add one more thing: it seems like very few threads have been posted in this forum these last ten days. Where have the people I saw when I first arrived here gone?
That's surely a shame, and I strongly feel that Civ2 is not dead yet. Mercator's MapEdit will surely mean a powerful and easy tool for Civ2 Scenarios Creation ... at least wait for my scenarios to come!

[This message has been edited by jgv_fiera (edited April 18, 2000).]

Old April 19, 2000, 13:54   #15
Panda
Prince

sorry, double post
[This message has been edited by Andrew Livings (edited April 19, 2000).]
Old April 19, 2000, 14:08   #16
Panda
Prince

Easy solution: at least one turn must have been played out before any cities are captured. I've always done this right at the begining of a new scenario with the movement rates for settlers set to 0 and before any cities are founded.

What you can do now is set all units MPs to 0, wait a turn then reset all the production shields and re-save the scenario. That will fix this "bug".

I wonder if there is a hex value somwhere that determines this. Or if the "turns elasped" would make a difference. Something to investigate.