Old October 25, 2001, 22:51   #1
Trifna
King

Local Time: 23:10
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Slavery (trying to generalise "death camp" post)
I'd say that death camps are covered by slavery, which englobes much more and could be administrated from a pannel with some options.

Primarily, civilisations didn't allways put everyone in slavery. It was mainly minorities or conquered population. But "Red Khmers" and some monarchs may have used all the population as a working force.

Secondly, there are also many ways of slaving. Some were separated from their family and thrown into mines and terrible labors with chains until their deaths (so a generation later, slaves are all dead). Others were used as servants or had varied positions (mines, servants, farmers...). Some civilisations even gave some slaves quite important positions I think (with Romans?). But there are consequences to all this. Cambodge has major desorganisation and corruption out of it (drugs, prostitution...), others got revolts, certain got cultural changings or great exterior and interior opposition, etc.

Slavery got important implications throughout History, but the question is: did it have enough implication to consider it in Civ? Anyone having strong bases in Hun's, Roman, Greek, American and "Red Khmers" history could be useful here I think. Slaves also got a considerable role in European colonisation.

PS: Is UberKruX sick with his death camps idea? Well Hitler and Pol Pot were sick and are in history too
Germany got consequences out of it. As Cambodge, USA (Secession war!) or Rome. No need to call a doctor to know if Uber's sick or not to analyse. Just to look History.
Old October 25, 2001, 23:11   #2
Bisonbison
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:10
I've said it before and I'll say it again: some things are entirely inappropriate in a game setting. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. The enslavement and extermination of populations should not be an option to be broken down and strategized over in a game. There shouldn't be a good game time to go for it.

And as for Uber, he's making light of genocide and death camps. DEATH CAMPS. And he's not doing it to provoke discussion, he's doing it precisely because it gets people like me angry and gets him attention in a way that breaking the filter apparently can't.

I don't want to have to speculate that he's still desperately seeking the attention his mother never gave him (why else the need to replace her all-nourishing breast with food food food food food?), but I'm not seeing many other options.

And if he is just trying to make people like me upset, good. I'll never get tired of calling him a jackass.
Old October 25, 2001, 23:20   #3
VetteroX
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:10
Slavery should have been in the previous civ games, and I think it was cool that it was in CTP. It was a huge part of the ancient world, and I guess all throught history until a very small time ago on the timeline of human civilzation. If there had never been slavery, the world would have a very different outcome, im not sure how in other areas, but America would be very different. Less money would have come in due to greatly lowered cash crop outputs, there would have been no Cival War, and there would be much fewer black people in the US then there are now, so all the race problems the USA has had in the years after the cival war would be greatly reduced. Again, Slavery is a huge part of history and like it or not, it should be in Civ 3 in some form, andyone know if it is?

On Uber, im a new to poster to these forums ( says nov 2000 cause I think I made like 2-3 posts for ctp1/2 ) but ive been reading through the civ 3 posts for the last few weeks and I don't think hes sick. I know I love being a war monger in Civ games, I like the Conan idea of whats best in life "Crushing your enemies, seeing them run before you, and having your way with the women" or something like that... My good friend is very against violence to others and I like to bug him once in a while by saying things like " God I hate this line, wish I could just mow em down with an Uzi and go to the front" but id never kill people in real life aside from last resort in self defence, or even touch a woman if she didnt want me too, or enslave a weaker person. I think Uber belives these things in games, and id like to do the same sometimes, but I doubt that in real life, if he was asked if he wanted to wipe out a newly captured town, that he would do it.
As a bonus, he gets people to say "how sick" and starts 60 post threads with everyone debaiting on it.
Old October 26, 2001, 01:03   #4
Trifna
King

Local Time: 23:10
Quote:
Originally posted by Bisonbison
I've said it before and I'll say it again: some things are entirely inappropriate in a game setting. I can't believe we're even having this discussion. The enslavement and extermination of populations should not be an option to be broken down and strategized over in a game. There shouldn't be a good game time to go for it.

And as for Uber, he's making light of genocide and death camps. DEATH CAMPS. And he's not doing it to provoke discussion, he's doing it precisely because it gets people like me angry and gets him attention in a way that breaking the filter apparently can't.

I don't want to have to speculate that he's still desperately seeking the attention his mother never gave him (why else the need to replace her all-nourishing breast with food food food food food?), but I'm not seeing many other options.

And if he is just trying to make people like me upset, good. I'll never get tired of calling him a jackass.
What I meant about Uber is that I DON'T EVEN CARE about if he says this for fun or because he believes in it. I just look about if it's historically correct or not. No need to insult him for that. Of course, I'm against this way of making a "fun thing" of slaving and all this, which he kindda did, but it's not what I'm interested here at all. I just look at effects of slavery on History.

Quote:
As a bonus, he gets people to say "how sick" and starts 60 post threads with everyone debaiting on it.
Exactly what I meant...
Old October 26, 2001, 05:53   #5
Mankind
Warlord

Local Time: 16:10

I realy hated that option in CTP!

and deth camps are not slavery go to sleep with yours idea!