Old October 26, 2001, 09:50   #1
LarryLard
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Amazon.com now say they will not ship outside US
Thought this was important enough for its own thread... the product pages for the LE AND SE at amazon.com

LE: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005QB4E

SE: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005JC8D

both now carry this bit of text:

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

which is potentially very bad news for any non-US folk who want the LE *at all*, or the SE before their own country's release date.

Personally, my pre-order for the LE (made at the start of this month) still shows as valid on my amazon.com account page. I am too scared however to email them and ask for clarification
Old October 26, 2001, 10:58   #2
Buck Birdseed
Emperor

Hasn't modified my order at all...
Old October 26, 2001, 11:42   #3
CBH
Warlord

Hmmm, mine hasn't changed either and I'm not emailing to find out. If they ship it 30th/31st grand - if not, cancel and just wait until November the bloody 16th
Old October 26, 2001, 16:54   #4
JanB
Chieftain

I have just e-mailed Amazon US re my order for the LE to ask whether its still coming to the UK. I ordered some time ago. Will let you know if I'm not too upset by their reply!

Perhaps I shouldn't have drawn attention to myself and it would have just slipped through.
Old October 27, 2001, 13:25   #5
Mads Raven
Chieftain

I am so confused with this information. I have pre-ordered the LE from amazon in USA two months ago, and I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, and I must have the LE. But what now? What does it mean when they say "currently, this item blah, blah"? Will they send the game later on - or what? Perhaps will my order be cancelled for not living in USA. Why can´t we have a world wide release date for the game?! Perhaps I should cancelled my order at (F*ucking) Amazon and then order the LE at another American on-line store. Does anybody knows, if they are willing to sell you the game outside their land?
Old October 27, 2001, 15:40   #6
Bane
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:14
go to EB then....
Old October 27, 2001, 18:22   #7
JanB
Chieftain

This evening I received a reply to my e-mail to Amazon US re LE and delivery outside the US. They said that software often carried 'manufacturers restrictions' and that I could order the product from Amazon UK - as if I would be so stupid as to buy from the US what I could get from the UK!! Is this a trade embargo? Anyway, I e-mailed back and asked them whether this meant that they would not honour my order of the 20th Sept. Will let you know but I feel M A D!!!

Well, to cool off, I'm off to listen to 'Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban' on tape and also to have an hours extra sleep (if I can sleep in the circumstances) as British Summer Time ends tonight.

Bye
Old October 27, 2001, 22:17   #8
BigLupu
Settler

Local Time: 17:14
JanB, I bet you got also response like this:

Thank you for writing to us at Amazon.com.

Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are currently able to ship computer software titles to only a few destinations outside of the
United States. Some manufacturers who provide us with these products intend them for the U.S. market only and will not allow us to offer them for sale outside the U.S.

Selected software titles are available for shipment to the following countries: Australia, Austria, Belgium, Canada, China, Denmark, Finland, Germany, Great Britain, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, and Taiwan.

These titles are displayed on our web site with a notation that says. "Shipping: This item ships internationally."

Our U.K. web site also offers many software titles that can be shipped within the European Union. You can visit their store at this URL:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/software/

You'll find the ordering process at this site very similar to what
you've seen at Amazon.com. Your Amazon.com e-mail address and password will be accepted on our European sites.

Please note that items ordered from the Amazon.co.uk site will be sent from their distribution center in England.

Thank you for shopping at Amazon.

Yeah, thank you too... have to wait till 16th
Old October 28, 2001, 05:22   #9
Christmann
Chieftain

Motherf*cker!

Nuff' said....
Always shall your honor and your name and your fame endure.
Old October 28, 2001, 07:41   #10
JanB
Chieftain

Yes - exactly the same letter BigLupu - word for word!! And I thought they had made it up just for me! No reply yet to my more specific question re my order. The letter from Amazon US didn't really tell me what I wanted to know nor anybody else either I imagine! So yes, just wait and see!

Jan:
Old October 28, 2001, 08:53   #11
Zizka
Chieftain

Local Time: 10:14
It makes me wonder why I always appear to hear about Amazon's poor profitability. It makes me think that they are like a lot of e-tailers -- "I will make site and they shall come." Its because because of this attitude, which in a lot of ways is insulting to on-line users, that, in part, may have caused a lot of the e-meltdown we have seen of late. Just because you have an e-store versus regular mall store does not give you a carte blanche for writing a new definition of good customer relations and desirable mercantile behaviour. Indeed, the web may breed bad business ethics by its anonmity; businesses are more readily forced to deal with you when you show up "in the flesh' and complain than just hitting "delete" or ignore.

My heart goes out to our UK and International Civvers. If its any consolation we know how you feel, some of us were gnashing their teeth waiting for EU over here over last xmas.

Z
Old October 28, 2001, 11:02   #12
SITS
King

I'm just hoping that they don't notice my order!
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 28, 2001, 19:25   #13
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Local Time: 16:14
Thank you for flying Amazon airlines...shame you cancelled your flight, but thank you for flying with us anyway.

You have lost my custom for life...and that of my family...that will cost you hundreds

P.S do Amazon ship to Hawaii...it is US? Well, Britain is virtually a state of the USA and is closer to the Capital of the USA so surely it is just as easy to ship here.

Old October 28, 2001, 22:48   #14
Bane
Chieftain

Local Time: 05:14
Quote:
Originally posted by kittenOFchaos

Well, Britain is virtually a state of the USA and is closer to the Capital of the USA so surely it is just as easy to ship here.

Pull your head out of your arse man...and yes they ship to Hawaii
Old October 29, 2001, 00:48   #15
kittenOFchaos
Prince

you wouldn't say that too my face...not if you wanted to keep a face...and anyway I don't get it? People who make a contract with a company and give over credit card details should get what they signed up for...and as for Amazon losing hundreds of pounds of custom from me and my family -consumer choice means they will. And as for the Uk being virtually an American state...that was in jest.

You are a moron stuck in the middle of the Pacific.

Old October 29, 2001, 01:13   #16
SITS
King

You would think that they would ship here with all the support that Blair has given...
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 29, 2001, 02:30   #17
Rasbelin
Emperor

Re: Amazon.com now say they will not ship outside US
Quote:
Originally posted by LarryLard

Shipping: Currently, item can be shipped only within the U.S.

which is potentially very bad news for any non-US folk who want the LE *at all*, or the SE before their own country's release date.
Holy sht! My preorder! My money! Oh no!

Last week the item page stated that they ship the
BTE worldwide, but now they have changed it to US only.
Because I didn't succeed in paying with my ATM card,
I had to pay by check/postal money order, so last
Monday I went to my bank for sending
a SWIFT cheque on 72.97$ to Amazon.com.
Now it looks like I have wasted 72.97$ in wain!

Old October 29, 2001, 03:02   #18
Rasbelin
Emperor

I have just sent an email to the CS of Amazonas.
Copy of the message:

I have preordered Civ III LE at 14. October, when the item page stated that Amazon.com would ship it worldwide.
Because of I didn't succeed in my attempts to pay with my ATM card, I changed the payment method to cheque/postal money order. Last Monday I sent a SWIFT cheque to your Billing Department as payment for my preorder, as you guidelines told me. Recently you have changed the terms for delievering the game to only domestic. So what's going to happen to my order and my payment? I have't been notified on these changes. I demand your explanation to such behavior!

I'll let you know what they responded.
Old October 29, 2001, 03:07   #19
Mads Raven
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Mads Raven
I am so confused with this information. I have pre-ordered the LE from amazon in USA two months ago, and I live in Copenhagen, Denmark, and I must have the LE. But what now? What does it mean when they say "currently, this item blah, blah"? Will they send the game later on - or what? Perhaps will my order be cancelled for not living in USA. Why can´t we have a world wide release date for the game?! Perhaps I should cancelled my order at (F*ucking) Amazon and then order the LE at another American on-line store. Does anybody knows, if they are willing to sell you the game outside their land?
Does anyone knows, if the American on-line shop EB will sell the Limited Edition Tin to people outside of the USA, because if they may do that, I will change my order at F*cking Amazon.com and then order the game at EB (but they are very expensive in P&P and air mail delivery...)
Old October 29, 2001, 03:15   #20
Mads Raven
Chieftain

I REALLY HATE F*CKING AMAZON.COM - YOU F*CKING BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! LAST TIME I AM GOING TO ORDER ANYTHING FROM YOU, GOODBYE TO ALL MY MONEY TO YOU! (Sorry... I just felt I needed some air...)
Old October 29, 2001, 04:34   #21
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bane
go to EB then....
um, you cannot really, unless you relay the shipment through a US address (basically have it shipped to a friend of yours).
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 29, 2001, 09:17   #22
Grim Legacy
Prince

Well, a vile stab in the back courtesy of Firaxis/Infogrames. This attitude of "america first" is belittling and very frustrating to all international customers.

Instead of providing valid shipping information, they've managed to let things take sour turn by changing the shipping info to US only at the very f*cking last g*ddamn moment. Gee... I'm really getting angry over this.

It seems these idiots are reluctant to receive my money. Guess my dollars are less than those of an american citizen -must be that strange euro-smell on them.
I guess europeans and others are just perceived to be a more backwards kind of people who can wait for ages while us citizens enjoy the game.

Hmmm guess my willingness to buy Civ3 LE as a kind of tribute to a great game has suddenly vanished by this display of uncaring customer relations. Maybe I'll just get the game 'otherwise'. Maybe I'll let all others I know share in the fun too. At least I won't saddle firaxis/infogrames/amazon with my smelly dollars that way.

Old October 29, 2001, 09:29   #23
kittenOFchaos
Prince

Strange how Dan has kept a very low profile recently...he is a coward.

Old October 29, 2001, 09:36   #24
LaRusso
King

Quote:

if i were him, i would be playing civ3 somewhere. or taking a short vacation.
if i were you, i would not be so judgmental on other people....
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 29, 2001, 09:57   #25
kittenOFchaos
Prince

He is a cowardly cat!

I'm only trying to bait him into some action if he IS around and skulking!

Old October 29, 2001, 10:00   #26
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Quote:
Strange how Dan has kept a very low profile recently...
yeah, he hasnt posted for 2 days now.

perhaps he had a life to live over the weekend?
Old October 29, 2001, 10:53   #27
Rasbelin
Emperor

Quote:
Originally posted by Mads Raven
I REALLY HATE F*CKING AMAZON.COM - YOU F*CKING BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!! LAST TIME I AM GOING TO ORDER ANYTHING FROM YOU, GOODBYE TO ALL MY MONEY TO YOU! (Sorry... I just felt I needed some air...)
I understand you perfectly. Just probably lost a 72.95$
SWIFT cheque to Amazon.com. As you can see from
my email to them, I'm asking for an official explanation to this.

Looks like a court in the state of Washington might
soon get some work. Sue! Sue!
Old October 29, 2001, 10:58   #28
LaRusso
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Rasbelin

I understand you perfectly. Just probably lost a 72.95$
SWIFT cheque to Amazon.com. As you can see from
my email to them, I'm asking for an official explanation to this.

Looks like a court in the state of Washington might
soon get some work. Sue! Sue!

um, throw in mental suffering claim. waiting for civ3 is really an excrutiating experience
Old October 29, 2001, 12:25   #29
Fredric Drum
Warlord

All I know is that Amazon haven't changed my order, and I expect them to ship the game to me the minute they receive it! Actually I successfully changed my shipment details to 'Priority International Courier', so if that's possible, they must be shipping it.. or I'll kick their butts back to the dark ages!

Fred
Old October 29, 2001, 13:11   #30
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:14
Quote:

When are you people going to learn? Dan and Firaxis have NOTHING to do with this - the decision where/how to sell the game is COMPLETELY IN THE HANDS OF THE PUBLISHER. Go spit and curse at Infogrames if it'll make you feel better.