Old October 26, 2001, 14:08   #1
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:14
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Forced Ages for Civs?
It seems to be established now that you can only advance to the Middle Ages by learning the required tech advances from the First Age--which is most of them--and so forth, for the other Ages. What I want to know is, when one Civ advances to the Middle Ages, what happens to the others?

If one of your enemies gets to the Middle Ages first, does that open up more possibilities for you? Or if, as is more likely, you get there first, does it do anything for your opponents? More tech advances available? More resources visible? What effect does trade and diplomacy have?

I hope it is possible to have true Modern Age and Stone Age cultures living side by side. It certainly seems to happen in the real world.
Old October 26, 2001, 14:17   #2
Kc7mxo
King

Local Time: 10:14
What? Um. I hope that I'm right in saying that for the most part the ages are simply graphical touches.

If things are more like you're saying, I may have to do a bit more worrying.
Old October 26, 2001, 14:30   #3
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Yes, we do have more to worry about. Here is the picture from the Civ 3 site. The techs at the top of the picture with the circle & line drawn thru are the ones you don't have to research to advance to the next age. They were discussing this in the Avault Strategy forum at the top of the page. I would have posted there, but it's 4 pages long already and I have a lot of questions.

Last edited by Gastrifitis; October 26, 2001 at 14:38.
Old October 26, 2001, 14:35   #4
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:14
I don't know, we had ages in CTP as well.... I don't know what the actual advantage of reaching a certain age earlier than another CIV was there...
Old October 26, 2001, 14:44   #5
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Ecthelion
I don't know, we had ages in CTP as well.... I don't know what the actual advantage of reaching a certain age earlier than another CIV was there...
I never played CTP. Ecthelion, are you saying that all civilizations received the benefits if one Civ reached a different Age? I hope you're not saying there are no advantages of reaching a new age first in general. It means learning how to build better armies, city improvements, wonders, etc.
Old October 26, 2001, 15:54   #6
lschaef
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Gastrifitis
Yes, we do have more to worry about. Here is the picture from the Civ 3 site. The techs at the top of the picture with the circle & line drawn thru are the ones you don't have to research to advance to the next age. They were discussing this in the Avault Strategy forum at the top of the page. I would have posted there, but it's 4 pages long already and I have a lot of questions.
I'm not worried.

From what I've read there are some technologies you can skip and still advance to the next age, but that doesn't mean that you'll get the effects of those technologies without going back and researching them. It would be almost the same thing as in earlier Civ games where you can go almost the whole game without ever researching Horseback Riding.

Where exactly is this Avault Strategy forum?
Old October 27, 2001, 00:06   #7
Gastrifitis
Chieftain

I'm not worried, I just want to know the effects of advancing to the Middle Ages on Civs that haven't accomplished the task by themselves. Do they get benefits from you doing it?

The Avault thing is a topic, not a forum. Sorry if I didn't make that clear. It should be nailed to the top of this forum.

EDIT: Hey, it's not nailed to the top. I thought it was before. It's on page 2 now; it's called "Jeff Morris' Strategy Guide at Avault" or something like that.