Old October 26, 2001, 14:24   #1
VetteroX
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Civ 3 Out!!??
I was eating lunch today in the cafetiria, and my friend passed by me, telling me that his friend from home had bought Civ 3 from his local Comp USA. I immedietly finnished my food, rushed to my dorm room, looked up the nearest Comp USA's #, and called. No Civ 3. I then Tried EB and Software ETC. Oct 30th. Grrr.... I know that it may be out somewhere.... I got the Diablo 2 expansion pack 2 days before it was suppost to come out, and my friend who lives like 20 miles away had to wait 3 more days, so different stores do different things.... if they recieve Civ 3 they may put it out even if they are suppost to hold it until Oct 30. As soon as I can get a hold of my friend, I will get him to call the friend that told him he has Civ 3, and find out which comp usa he got it from. If its within a reasonable range, I will go get it. Of course, there is also the possibility that hes just saying this because he knows it will drive me crazy, but he really doesnt do that kind of thing much, and knows what is ok to joke about and what isnt... namely Civ 3 being out. Two points to this: 1) Call every software store nearby you, see if they have Civ 3 now. 2) If it is true, and I get Civ 3, ill play and answer some questions about it. Hope this isnt a big fualse alarm. My friend will get hell if it is.
Old October 26, 2001, 14:27   #2
Pembleton
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
Your "friend of your friend" probably knows someone at the store. Some copies are probably in stock, but are not allowed to be sold legally until a certain date.

And please learn how to use paragraphs.
Old October 26, 2001, 14:48   #3
connorkimbro
Emperor

i called my local EB. i asked FIRST about shippments, "what day do your normally get shipments in" . . because if they normally get them on friday, then they'd HAVE to have it today, the couldn't feed me a line. either the girl was smart, or i'm out of luck, because she said they get shipments in every day. So, then i asked if, by chance, they had civ3 in yet. she said they did not, but would have it on the 30th.

i know it IS possible, i've gotten other games early as well. i accidentally got CtP a few days early as well.

-theonion.com
Old October 26, 2001, 14:57   #4
Asesino_Virtual
Warlord

Local Time: 12:15
Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
i accidentally got CtP a few days early as well.
A total waste of luck...
Old October 26, 2001, 14:59   #5
connorkimbro
Emperor

Quote:
A total waste of luck...
Yes i know!! LOL. but there was one or two other games that came in sort of early as well actually, i can't remember which ones now. .

-theonion.com
Old October 26, 2001, 15:01   #6
VetteroX
Chieftain

I don't know why we have o wait... I say when a store gets it in, sell it... I called 3 comp USA's 2 EB's and 2 Software ETC's...All say 30th. One comp USA person said they get them tommorow but can't sell them until Nov 2! Why? I KNOW the others have em in storage, and are probably playing right now behind the counter.... Im gonna keep trying to get a copy before Oct 30.

Oh, and no, my friend, Elan was told by his friend Civ 3 is out on display.... thats why im so crazy about this. I still trying to get back in contact with him.
Old October 26, 2001, 15:06   #7
Bakunine
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by connorkimbro
Quote:
A total waste of luck...
Yes i know!! LOL. but there was one or two other games that came in sort of early as well actually, i can't remember which ones now. .

RMAOTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old October 26, 2001, 15:07   #8
Ozymandous
Prince

Local Time: 10:15
Civ3 out on display?

Well duh! What do you think Com USA, Best Buy, et al have been displaying in their stores for WEEKS trying to get pre-orders but an empty box!

Yous friend probably saw one of these "pre-order" boxes and thought the game was out. Sheesh some people.
Old October 26, 2001, 15:59   #9
VetteroX
Chieftain

no, out on display in boxes and he bought a copy. He apparently was going to get Win XP and saw Civ 3, and picked it up... thats the story..... As discussed games do come out early... guess he got really lucky.
Old October 26, 2001, 17:41   #10
CygnusZ
Warlord

If it means anything to you, I know I once saw a game that was on sale before it's release date at the CompUSA around I think 43rd Street and 6th (maybe 7th Avenue).. You probably know the one I'm talking about.

Maybe they gaffed again?
Maybe he got a street copy?
Maybe he just got a preview box?
Maybe he's lying to get your goat?

Either way, I'd just wait till 30th
Good Luck Though...
Old October 26, 2001, 19:27   #11
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 17:15
Maybe yours friend got A PIRATED VERSION of the game.
Since the game has gone gold two weeks ago, I wouldn't be suprised.
Old October 26, 2001, 20:15   #12
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Pembleton
Your "friend of your friend" probably knows someone at the store. Some copies are probably in stock, but are not allowed to be sold legally until a certain date.

And please learn how to use paragraphs.
Good grief! What is it with you and paragraphs?
Old October 26, 2001, 20:25   #13
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

I've worked 20 years in retail. Most places that are going to sell the game either have it or will get it monday. I have seen the following senario happen on many occassions. A product for a special promotion comes in. The receiver usually gives it to the manager for that area of the store. But the manager is taking a three day weekend, so he puts it on the cart with the rest of that managers products. Some part-timer comes in and starts putting out stock, including the "special product". The store manager sees it on the self and has it immediately pulled. Now in the time the "special product" was stocked until it was pulled, someone can purchase it. These days barcodes are entered into most POS systems when the order is made.
Old October 26, 2001, 20:52   #14
Chowlett
Alpha Centauri PBEM
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Bakunine

RMAOTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rolling My A$$ On The Floor?

Anyway - count yourselves luck, you don't have to wait another bleeding fortnight for it.
"They offer us some, but we have no place to store a mullet." - Chegitz Guevara
Old October 26, 2001, 21:54   #15
Akillias
Chieftain

umm civ isnt out yet
Old October 26, 2001, 22:07   #16
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by Akillias
umm civ isnt out yet
How do you know exactly? How do you know some rogue part time clerk in Iowa hasn't already put them out for purchase?
Old October 26, 2001, 22:33   #17
monkspider
Civilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
King

So that means some consumer, somewhere out there is playing civ 3??
Old October 26, 2001, 22:51   #18
Kautilya
King

Veterox,
Have you managed to contact your friend's friend. If you do why don't you ask him to post here and describe the game?

I am sure he will be very popular here the next few days.
Old October 26, 2001, 22:53   #19
VetteroX
Chieftain

My friend gave me his friends AOL IM name... he hasnt come on... probably because hes too busy playing
Old October 26, 2001, 22:56   #20
VetteroX
Chieftain

Can someone tell me why they would get Civ 3 and then keep it in a store room for 3 days before selling it? wouldnt they want to sell it the instant it arrived to make space for new inventory? Is this like a "fairness" issure where its "not Fair" if NYC sells the game before some small town in Kansas or something? someone plz explain... I think If I owned a store id sell products the instand the arrived.
Old October 27, 2001, 00:12   #21
Swissy
Civilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMRise of Nations MultiplayerIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerBtS Tri-League

Quote:
Originally posted by VetteroX
Can someone tell me why they would get Civ 3 and then keep it in a store room for 3 days before selling it? wouldnt they want to sell it the instant it arrived to make space for new inventory? Is this like a "fairness" issure where its "not Fair" if NYC sells the game before some small town in Kansas or something? someone plz explain... I think If I owned a store id sell products the instand the arrived.
No, it is what the buyer agreed to when he ordered the game. Break that agreement and you'll be lucky to see the next big Infogrames release (MOO3) a month after every other store has it.
Old October 27, 2001, 00:14   #22
VetteroX
Chieftain

but why is that the deal? why not sell when u get it?
Old October 27, 2001, 00:17   #23
VetteroX
Chieftain

So darn bored... I want this freaking game NOW. Makes me even angryer that all the Comp store guys and game mag people are probably playing Civ 3 right now.
Old October 27, 2001, 00:25   #24
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:15
Quote:
It all has to deal with "fair business trade."

If there is a "release date" for a given game (like Civ3), then stores are obligated to abide by this date...of course, there are a few scattered exceptions (stock clerks placing the game on the rack not realizing it shouldn't be put on display yet), but once the mistake is realized by the store who mistakenly placed the merchandise on sale early, the merchandise is "usually" taken back down and held until the release date.

This all comes from the aspect that all stores should have the same advantage in placing a newly released game up for sale. Of course it's not fool-proof, but most (IMO, 99.99% of stores) abide by this "golden rule."

I hope this answered your question VetteroX.
Old October 27, 2001, 00:27   #25
Swissy

Quote:
That is the way retail works, especially with a company like Infogrames. You play by their rules, or you play without their product. Best Buy isn't going to take the chance they will be cut-off of the Infogrames console games (PS2, Xbox,cube) which they will make mountains of money on, just so a handfull of PC gamers can get their hands on a game that will not even make half the profit that an average console game will get them. It is the same reason you, me and everyone will pay about the same amount for the game. You play by Infogrames' rules or you are out of business. Retail is a rough dirty business, why else do you see so many malls and shopping centers barely half occupied.
Old October 27, 2001, 00:31   #26
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Swissy
That is the way retail works, especially with a company like Infogrames. You play by their rules, or you play without their product. Best Buy isn't going to take the chance they will be cut-off of the Infogrames console games (PS2, Xbox,cube) which they will make mountains of money on, just so a handful of PC gamers can get their hands on a game that will not even make half the profit that an average console game will get them.
Precisely Swissy! I couldn't have said it better!
Old October 27, 2001, 01:19   #27
Wernazuma III
Spanish CiversCivilization III PBEMNationStates
Emperor

Hey, stop whining there across the great ocean about the release date. We have to wait til November 16th. AAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGHHHH
Old October 27, 2001, 03:35   #28
player1
Emperor

I still think it is a PIRATED copy.
At first, someone bribes a someone several days after games goes gold,
and gets the code, then they make a copies quicker than a publisher, and
then they sell a game (for 5$) before a release date. It is entirely possibile.
The same tghing happens in film industry also (gettnig pirated VSH before a premiere).
Old October 27, 2001, 04:53   #29
Falconius
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
How do you know exactly? How do you know some rogue part time clerk in Iowa hasn't already put them out for purchase?
Because if it was, that person would post here, saying, "I GOT IT!"

The title to this thread would be "Civ III Out!!!!!", and not Civ III Out!!!???
Old October 27, 2001, 05:49   #30
Gintautas
Settler

Pirated versions of games (and all other software too) cost $1.5 per CD
here and come the same day or a day after the official release while
you have to wait few weeks/months (depends on the genre) and pay from
$25 to $50 for a legal copy.

TBS games like Civ series are very unpopular here compared to RTS
and hybrid games like Diablo or Black and White so companies wont
bother to import games like Civ very quickly.

BTW, one could bought Diablo 2: Lord of Destruction few days after it
was officially released in US and the price was $25 only compared to $35
in US.

On Tuesday or Wednesday I'll go to my "retailer" and come back
(I really hope so) with a fresh Civilization III warez copy If my dreams
will not come true then I'll just download ISO or CD image in any other
format. All next week I'm having holidays from school so a kind of
marathon awaits...

I'm open to criticism and insults on how bad I am etc..