Old October 26, 2001, 14:28   #1
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Pbem?
Is there anyone who can give me and maybe Scott a crash course on how PBEM's work. I do believe that I don't even know where to start on one of these things.
Old October 26, 2001, 15:28   #2
klesh
King

Local Time: 11:15
yup
Henrik and I are working on a text that should be of help to everyone. I'll see if Markos wants to put it up on the site. If not, I'll just post it. Sit tight.

-FMK.
Old October 26, 2001, 19:20   #3
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

Local Time: 01:15
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Excelent

Just one question, What makes a scenario suitable for PBEM Games? I'm seriously considering setting up a PBEM game of my scenario 'Raging Dragon'.
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
- Neal Stephenson, Cryptonomicon
Old October 26, 2001, 19:52   #4
Grothgar
Prince

Local Time: 15:15
What makes a suitable PBEM game?
well i would say that almost all the sides should be playable. Ie 2194days and TSFE and Age of war make good pbems but Red Front wouldnt
Raging dragon. Well i think if you had everyone with a playable side it could be intresting

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old October 27, 2001, 05:02   #5
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
Quote:
Originally posted by Case
Just one question, What makes a scenario suitable for PBEM Games? I'm seriously considering setting up a PBEM game of my scenario 'Raging Dragon'.
As you asked for this a short description of what a pbem "friendly" scenario is like was added
It's really simple though, what you need to do is make sure that it is well balanced and that as many civs as possible is suitable for human players.
Old October 27, 2001, 18:56   #6
Case
Civilization II PBEMCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontScenario League / Civ2-Creation
Emperor

OK, on those grounds Raging Dragon looks pretty damn suitable (there are 6 1/2 playable civs)

How should I set the negotiation limits in the events?
'Arguing with anonymous strangers on the internet is a sucker's game because they almost always turn out to be - or to be indistinguishable from - self-righteous sixteen year olds possessing infinite amounts of free time.'
Old October 27, 2001, 19:05   #7
klesh
King

Raging PBEM
Case, do not include any negotiation stuff in the events. Because PBEMS are fluid and unique, you should want full ability of all players to conduct diplomacy. Also, arent' the Chinese heavily event supported with units and such? You should remove those as well if a human player is to controll the Chinese.

Also, Markos seems interested, so this help text thingy might get posted shortly.

-FMK.
Old October 27, 2001, 19:18   #8
Case
Emperor

Thanks FMK. I was planning on doing that (I'll set China and Russia permanently at war though).
Old October 27, 2001, 22:32   #9
klesh
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Case
I'll set China and Russia permanently at war though.
Why?

The thing is that PBEMS almost need to defy what was supposed to happen in a sense. In a WWII game, Germany will probably invade France first only because it is the proper thing to do, not what is set forth in the game. Permanence is a stagnent thing in my mind. I would have them set to war, and allow the players to decide what.when and how things will happen. But hey, do what choo want meng. Choo know?
Old October 28, 2001, 09:24   #10
The ANZAC
King

Local Time: 10:15
I am definitely interested in a Raging Dragon PBEM, but does it work if I start it in MGE and pass it on to someone with FW or vice versa?
Old October 28, 2001, 11:24   #11
Grothgar
Prince

as far as i know you cant play pbems unless you have MGE

"You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs but it's amazing how many eggs you can break without making a decent omelette"
Old October 28, 2001, 13:40   #12
klesh
King

Untill Markos posts it...
Here is the PBEM Guide that Henrik and I made up. Hope it helps y'all.

-FMK. (and Henrik)

Attached Files:
File Type: zip pbemguide.zip (5.5 KB, 11 views)
Old October 28, 2001, 13:56   #13
Jimmywax
Scenario League / Civ2-Creation
Prince

Local Time: 09:15
Muchos gracias
Thanks for the help

Case- how long before a RD PBEM is ready?

Anzac- I look foward to meeting you on the feild of battle.
Old October 28, 2001, 17:53   #14
Case
Emperor

Re: Muchos gracias
Quote:
Originally posted by Jimmywax
Case- how long before a RD PBEM is ready?
It's ready
I'm just waiting on a PM before I open it to all comers. (So far I've invited the 3 people who were of most help in making my scenarios)

Could PBEM buffs please give me a or to the following settings:
*No events limits on negotiations
* Russia and China always at war (if the players want a ceasefire, then they are welcome to arange it between themselves )
* Some units and money are given by events (but no-where near the extent of the SP version)

Last edited by Case; October 28, 2001 at 18:35.
Old October 28, 2001, 18:59   #15
Grothgar
Prince

I would say that just take the negotiation events out and leave the rest in. well take out some of the things like NATO getting hundreds of those bloody AEGIS crusiers when one is killed. take anything out which would unbalanc gameplay. And dont make china and russia always at war. You never know they might come to their senses and make peace and also take out any declare war triggers you have in any events because that kinda dictates the play otherwise

Old October 28, 2001, 19:19   #16
Grothgar
Prince

Oh and heres a map. I know it looks god damn awful really but cases good old strange way of this map is thwarting me. so this may have to do.

Also its easy to update
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	raging dragon.gif
Views:	48
Size:	11.4 KB
ID:	4898  

Old October 28, 2001, 19:44   #17
Case
Emperor

OK, thanks Grothgar. I'll remove the Chinese - Russian war events. I'll also take NATO's endless supply of AEGIS cruisers away. I'll add events to give the smaller powers (Arab League, APEC, Pakistan) extra units at random intervals.

BTW, how to you make those great maps?

edit: Afganistan should be shown as part of Pakistan
Old October 28, 2001, 20:52   #18
Grothgar
Prince

hmm honestly
good taking my advice is always good lol
and thanx for pointing out the pakistan afghanistan thing. I dont like having imperfect maps.
And as for why am i so good at making maps? i really dont know lol. i just tried to make a map one day and found i was really good at it so ive kept on making maps. i have maps for lots of scenarios now. and i make all my maps from scratch as well. and i find it easier to do it quicker now i mean i got this one out in about 2 hours. and for this one i have kep the nations borders on just so its easy for me to fill them in if someone takes that nation. also if you take part of a nation then iwont use black borders ill just fill in the part you have taken.

anyway heres the new map
Attached Thumbnails:
Click image for larger version

Name:	raging dragon.gif
Views:	46
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	4901  

Old October 28, 2001, 20:58   #19
Grothgar
Prince

and here is
and here is my masterpiece. using only a world atlas i made this map. feel free to copy it for own use

My World Map.

Praise is always welcome

DAMN IT WONT POST MY BLOODY MAP says its too big. says size musnt be over 600x0!!!! ill just attach it as a gif file zipped up then and anyone can download it if you want. but youll have to take my word for it that its my best work yet.

enjoy
Attached Files:
File Type: zip world map masterpiece.zip (11.3 KB, 6 views)

Old October 28, 2001, 22:16   #20
Case
Emperor

Wow. That really is great.
Old October 29, 2001, 10:47   #21
klesh
King

Re: and here is
Quote:
Originally posted by Grothgar
says its too big. says size musnt be over 600x0!!!!

Yup, they have to be <600 pixels wide to fit in the threads.

-FMK.
Old October 29, 2001, 14:45   #22
Grothgar
Prince

DAMN FMK i wasnt looking for an explantion i was looking for sympathy so i could rant some more i wont even say how long it took to make that map. Oh dear. and of course ive used it for loads of scenerios like 2194 and crisis.
Thanx case. and for how i do it seeing as i didnt really answer that last time. I just get a map and then draw it. not helpful at all is it
Anyway hows the pbem restructuring going? im Arab league remember

Old November 2, 2001, 00:38   #23
Case
Emperor

Another question
How do you go about conducting dipolmatic negotiations in PBEM games?
I know that using the in-game negotiations is a big don't, but how do you negotiate alliances and the like? Is it OK to conduct negotiations privatly through email & PM's, or should the discussions go on message boards where everyone can see them?
Old November 2, 2001, 03:03   #24
Henrik
Civilization II PBEMScenario League / Civ2-CreationNationStatesMacCivilization II Democracy Game: Red FrontSpanish CiversCivilization IV Creators
Emperor

Local Time: 16:15
Read the pbem guide attached above

Generally you can do it officially or unoficially, although I would recomend not to post your elaborate battle plans and secret pacts and such on the forums for your opponents to se

An official declaration stating that you are allied after "signing" the alliance would be nice though