Old October 26, 2001, 22:31   #1
The Rook
Warlord

Local Time: 10:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
What are we going to do tonight Brain?
The samething we do every night Pinky. We're going to take over the world.

But is that possible in CIV3? From all the late game screenshots I have seen, there's always an abundance of Civs still hanging in there. It's not like Civ2 was. Civ3 is even more realistic than Civ2 was, and as we all know, in real life, no civilization has ever conquered the entire world. The British Empire came the closest I would say. Hitler's Germany had the tools to do it, but for one nation to take over the entire world in the time alotted, I don't think it will be easy.
They have added a bunch of new things like culture, and the draft, that give distinct advantages to a defending nation.

So, there are better strategists out there than I, what are your ideas on world domination?
Old October 26, 2001, 23:05   #2
VetteroX
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:16
I love going to war, but I think total blood lust, capturing ever city in the world, would be quite a long game. Some people might not like this comparision, but I maneged to capture every city on large maps in CTP2 and SMAC, and there were A LOT of cities. Once u get up a gigantic army, you can set your sites on a nation, and take 5-10 cities a turn. It isnt really hard, just time consuming.

I dont think I will do much bloodlust in Civ 3, but I will like the control 2/3 of the world victory. I expand very quickly to start with, and then securing 2/3 the world wont be too time consuming. The most annoying thing in the civ games were capturing all the lingering cities on island or the arctic, or cities behind some huge mountain range. With the 2/3 world win, you wont have to worry about thoes annying cities.
Old October 26, 2001, 23:20   #3
Stuie
King

Local Time: 11:16
Quote:
Originally posted by VetteroX
Once u get up a gigantic army, you can set your sites on a nation, and take 5-10 cities a turn. It isnt really hard, just time consuming.
Not quite so easy when you cannot use the defending civ's infrastructure (roads and rails). I think you'll find taking one city in a turn an accomplishment in Civ3.

But then again, I haven't played the game yet.
Old October 27, 2001, 03:06   #4
Lorizael
lifer
NationStates
Emperor

, this is where the 1 turn = 1 year problem really shows through. It looks like taking just one city will be a challenge but in reality many cities will trade places in the space of year.

I think there will be two ways to win by bloodlust. Either you expand like rabbits in the beginning of the game and conquer everyone before they get big (feasible with Zulus or Aztecs) or you slowly conquer the world through out the 6000 years of existence. You would focus on one particular civ at a time, slowly expanding and taking cities as they reached your borders.

In order to conquer the world, no matter what, you will need to use culture and diplomacy.
Old October 27, 2001, 04:45   #5
hetairoi22
Warlord

Local Time: 16:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Stuie

Not quite so easy when you cannot use the defending civ's infrastructure (roads and rails). I think you'll find taking one city in a turn an accomplishment in Civ3.

But then again, I haven't played the game yet.
I think VetteroX was describing Civ2...
Old October 27, 2001, 07:59   #6
Stuie
King

Quote:
Originally posted by hetairoi22

I think VetteroX was describing Civ2...
Gee, thanks. I thought he was talking about Diablo II. Got any more helpful insights?
Old October 27, 2001, 17:00   #7
UKScud
Chieftain

Quote:
I think there will be two ways to win by bloodlust
Only two?

Quote:
Either you expand like rabbits in the beginning of the game
Sounds good to me!

Quote:
and conquer everyone before they get big (feasible with Zulus or Aztecs)
I just don't think this is going to happen. I agree that the Zulus and Aztecs have some very impressive early years UU's but I don't think that is enough to knock out Civs in the early years. The slow population growth (caused by anti-ICS measures) will, IMO, limit production too. So it will take much longer to field enough units to do what you are suggesting. Certain previews seem to suggest that ancient era can be a tad boring.

Quote:
you slowly conquer the world through out the 6000 years of existence.
If you can at that. I think that there will be a critical size to an empire when it is "extremely" likely that all the resources needed for modern warfare will be found within the Civs own borders. This is what will make the middle game so important, exploration, diplomacy and trading will be needed to expand your empire to this critical size after which...

...who gives a wotsit for trading and diplomacy.

When you become a resource "superpower", that's when the real possibilty of conquering the world starts. Deny other powers the most important late game resource...OIL...see my thread on the subject. If they can't build or rebuild their modern units, then it will only be a matter of time before you mop them up militarily.

And the world will be yours! Bwah ha ha!
Old October 27, 2001, 17:36   #8
Deathray
Warlord

I think that this new resource system could add new dimensions to my puppet master style of play. Hmm, one of the power blocks I've set up to keep each other in check is getting too powerful. Now, instead of giving the other side money or technology, I just cut off the other side's oil. Bwahahahaha.
Old October 27, 2001, 21:15   #9
Mars
Prince

]Whats going to be so hard about. so what a few units here and there no real problem.l

Quote:
but I maneged to capture every city on large maps in CTP2
how did you manage to conquer every city in ctp2. I could never get, well directly, past the city limit thing. [instead i nuked the world til there was only a few cities left then i conquered them all]

Quote:
British Empire came the closest I would say
i know this is nitpicking, but i would say the mongols came closest. and hilters germany obvisily didn't cut out for it in ww2, they lost.
Old October 27, 2001, 21:18   #10
ancient
Prince

>NARF<
Old October 27, 2001, 21:30   #11
Faeelin
Chieftain

Quote:
Originally posted by Deathray
I think that this new resource system could add new dimensions to my puppet master style of play. Hmm, one of the power blocks I've set up to keep each other in check is getting too powerful. Now, instead of giving the other side money or technology, I just cut off the other side's oil. Bwahahahaha.
Remember the gulf war? Strong civs will use their military that's already built and doesn't need additional oil to conquer you and take the oil by force.
Old October 27, 2001, 21:55   #12
Mongoloid Cow
Warlord

Local Time: 00:46
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Haven't you seen the screenshots where the government is STILL Despotism in 750AD? I don't think the Civ 3 people are that good at their own game, so of course there'll be screenshots with plenty of AI civs left. No wonder they can't win on Deity!!!

Old October 27, 2001, 22:11   #13
The Rook
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by Mars

i know this is nitpicking, but i would say the mongols came closest. and hilters germany obvisily didn't cut out for it in ww2, they lost.

Naw, the Mongols only made it to Europe. Britian had colonies on every continent except Antartica, but after thinking about it, the Brits were more into colonization than conquering, so maybe you're right. Hitler's Germany had the tools to do it is what I said. If Hitler listened to his Generals, we all maybe speaking German today. France had fallen. Russia could have been taken if the Germans played their cards corectly. England would have fallen next once Russia was out of the picture. Then Germany could have helped the Japanese out with the US.
Old October 27, 2001, 22:14   #14
squid
Warlord

Pinky, Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I think so Brain, but if we play Civilization all night long, won't we get all woozy and act funny in the morning?

---

(man did I love that show!)
Old October 27, 2001, 22:31   #15
splangy
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by The Rook

Naw, the Mongols only made it to Europe. Britian had colonies on every continent except Antartica, but after thinking about it, the Brits were more into colonization than conquering, so maybe you're right. Hitler's Germany had the tools to do it is what I said. If Hitler listened to his Generals, we all maybe speaking German today. France had fallen. Russia could have been taken if the Germans played their cards corectly. England would have fallen next once Russia was out of the picture. Then Germany could have helped the Japanese out with the US.
You say it like anyone can just go out and conquer britain, then defeat the U.S. with a stick and some cheerios

Anyway, I think that conquering a city will be very important in civ3 becouse of the new culture system.
You see, new citties will simply subvert back to the mother land if unguarded so you have to gaurd it for quite a while. While this may not seem advantages to the attacker (and it isn't) it does meen that you NEED to capture that city PRONTO. Us warmongers are gonna take quite a beating when it comes to attack vs defence, becouse our empire will simply roll over and die if we:

A: Grow too large too quick (mongels)
B: Ignore your people and defence (Rome)
C: Piss to many strong people off (NAZI Germany)
D: Fall behind in the tech race (Aztecs)
And E: Lose site of our wargoals and keep saying "im to large to fall" (Hiter)
Old October 27, 2001, 23:53   #16
Mars
Prince

I'm sorry to bring this back up but i love to debate too much:

Britian may have ended up colonizing 1/4 of the world, more than the mongols, but if given more time i'm sure the mongols would have conquered the entire world. think about conquering the world in one lifetime when all you have is horses to do it with. Not to mention a shorter average lifespan. I dount germany would have won the war by the way you put forth, russia probaly would have taken its territory back during the winter. However you are correct in some sense. Britian probaly would have fallen A) if the Germans kept bombing strategic targets instead of just cities and B) if Japan didn't bring the US in the war to help britian out. (like it or not we really were critical to wining the war.) Although germany came close to building a stealth aircraft that could fly higher than the US AA guns and all the way to New York and back non-stop. So if given a little more time Germany could have potentially produced a A-Bomb carry it over to New York and Nuke it, terrible devasting to the US. Unfortuntately for germany(fortunetately for us) hilter didn't put enough emphaise on the project not think that it would work
Old October 28, 2001, 00:43   #17
Ironwood
Prince

Local Time: 08:16
Quote:
Originally posted by squid
Pinky, Are you thinking what I'm thinking?

I think so Brain, but if we play Civilization all night long, won't we get all woozy and act funny in the morning?

---

(man did I love that show!)

Seriously, there is one solution to the problem of it being difficult to take over the world:

Play on a small world.

Throw in 16 civs on that small world and watch the fur fly!
Take me as I am.
Old October 28, 2001, 07:35   #18
The Rook
Warlord

How was the Mongols going to get to the American continents?
Old October 28, 2001, 09:15   #19
Mars
Prince

Quote:
How was the Mongols going to get to the American continents?
That's a very good point. And my anwser is boats, but they kind of sucked at conquering nations overseas. So in that point you are right, but the fact that they almost conquerored all of Urasia, no mean feat especially at that time.