Old October 27, 2001, 08:54   #1
Executor
Warlord

Local Time: 10:16
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Building Queues
eg. Rome, the greatest city in the known world, produces 200 shields per turn. It has just started production on a Legion that requires 50 shields (or whatever). It has queued to build another Legion and an Aqueduct that needs 120 shields.

Will it only build the one Legion, or will it build both, plus accumulate 100 shields towards the Aqueduct? It has always bugged me in Civ2 and SMAC that all those extra shields are wasted, which is why I avoided building low-shield units in my industrial cities.
Old October 27, 2001, 09:09   #2
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
I suppose you will be able to affect the production ratio for each project on your own... eh?
Old October 27, 2001, 10:11   #3
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

I would guess that it would behave like any other civilization game and build only one unit or improvement at a time.
Old October 27, 2001, 10:14   #4
Ecthy
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameSpanish Civers
Emperor

Local Time: 17:16
either that or the chance to affect the ratio... anyway, we'll see in a few days... Americans in 2 days and Germans in 2 weeks
Old October 27, 2001, 11:58   #5
Mars
Prince

Yah that bugged me too, unfortunetly i doubt they put that in, it could make making units a piece of cake (well, even more so than it already is)
Old October 27, 2001, 13:15   #6
zeh
Civilization III PBEM
Warlord

Local Time: 12:16
If you think this way:
a city has 200 shield production and in a turn 50 of a legion, 150 will remain for next turn;
plus the 200 from the next turn minus the 120 from the aqueduct, 230 will remain and so on...
if continue on this for 5 or a couple more turns maybe you'll be able to construct a wonder in 1 turn without rushing production.
But I don't know if will be this way, this make the things too much easy.
Old October 27, 2001, 13:17   #7
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Quote:
Originally posted by zeh
If you think this way:
a city has 200 shield production and in a turn 50 of a legion, 150 will remain for next turn;
plus the 200 from the next turn minus the 120 from the aqueduct, 230 will remain and so on...
if continue on this for 5 or a couple more turns maybe you'll be able to construct a wonder in 1 turn without rushing production.
But I don't know if will be this way, this make the things too much easy.
I never said that. In Civ3 you can queue items like in SMAC. If you did not queue anything beyond the first Legion, then the shields would disappear forever. In the example I gave, Rome should build the two Legion units (50 shields apiece) and have 100 shields go towards the Aqueduct.
Old October 27, 2001, 13:44   #8
lockstep
Apolyton University
King

Local Time: 16:16
Quote:
Originally posted by Executor
In Civ3 you can queue items like in SMAC. If you did not queue anything beyond the first Legion, then the shields would disappear forever.
IIRC, this is not accurate. One of the improvements of SMAC over Civ2 was that up to 10 surplus minerals (shields) were stored for the next improvement or unit even if the build queue was empty. This eliminated the possibility (or need) to gain a slight advantage by micro-managing production and saving shields that otherwise would get lost.

Although this has not been confirmed yet, I take it for granted that a similar feature will be part of Civ3.
"As far as general advice on mod-making: Go slow as far as adding new things to the game until you have the basic game all smoothed out ... Make sure the things you change are really imbalances and not just something that doesn't fit with your particular style of play." - WesW