Old November 27, 2001, 21:05   #241
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

Local Time: 07:20
Local Date: October 31, 2010
your a disgrace AH but as long as your having fun , thats all that matters
Old November 27, 2001, 21:42   #242
Alexander's Horse
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Deity

Local Time: 01:20
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Well I'd recommend farting around in the lower levels till you get the game concepts right - I'm learning a lot. Like, the conscript thing - I just about halved the pop of one of my major cities because I pressed the draft button over and over thinking it wasn't working because no new units were showing up at the bottom of the screen Also I hadn't put walls into just about any of my cities which I now realise has made the AI's task that much easier

Look, I just don't anymore, okay?
Old November 27, 2001, 22:35   #243
War4ever
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization II Democracy GameApolytoners Hall of Fame
Emperor

hehe i did the same thing with that draft button..before you know it my city was in disorder....i must have clicked it 20 times.....

cursing at the computer wondering where in the hell my conscritps went

and AH...to each his own....i am just teasing..... its been baptisim by fire with me ....i have no manual and have asked some silly questions on the board trying to figure out why rivers slow me down even when i have roads and how to establish embassies.....
Old November 27, 2001, 23:49   #244
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I didn't notice any teasing.

I'm quite happy to putter along in Chieftain till I have a better idea what's going on.Like, I noticed fairly late you can set production to war economy

Old November 28, 2001, 01:24   #245
War4ever
Emperor

war production only builds war time units and buildings...... wow thanks firaxis..... god knows i would have been stumped on that one if you didn't include it for me
Old November 28, 2001, 05:58   #246
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 17:20
Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
i refuse to pay for crap again...... and civ3 is soooooooooo boring now.... i have only one level to beat and one victory condition left to achieve....once i get cultural victory on deity this game is finished unitl mp (if we ever get there) or if the patch(es) fix things
Boring? Already done with it?

Carolus
Old November 28, 2001, 13:17   #247
War4ever
Emperor

Carolus.....i have been off work almost a month.... owned a copy of the game for that long..... played it alot of the time...losing a few nights sleep in the process...

its gone in phases of being enjoyable, a disappointment...and fullc circle again.

The game isn't that difficult really.......

my deity attempt will come today..... wish me luck...i have to go back to work on monday thank god....i am bored out of my skulll
Old November 28, 2001, 13:31   #248
Carolus Rex
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization II PBEM
Emperor

Local Time: 17:20
Good luck!

Carolus
Old November 28, 2001, 16:33   #249
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 09:20
I think that's the difference. I may have put in, at most, 16 hours of playing Civ3 in the past month. (War4 probably had done that in one day.) While I'll be playing Civ3 off and on for the next 3-4 months (and enjoying it while waiting for the scenarios), others, in their impatience or boredom, decided to become obsess with it until they get burned out. Don't you think it would have been wiser to take it slow and easy to make it last longer instead of slam-bam?
Old November 28, 2001, 17:12   #250
War4ever
Emperor

nice one steve...... while i did have a couple of civ games go all night and have that just one more turn feel...... i find the lower levels beneath my competing ability.....

being able to brag that you wail on the game at monarch or regent for me doesn't have any significance....

if/when i clobber the infidel ai on deity..then i can say i am actually playing the game ....

besides what else am i supposed to do when i am off work....mope

plus i like mp....so until civ3 becomes mp i just have the dull ai to play against....it gets old real quick..civ2/civ3/smac/ human interaction is just so much more fullfilling for me

and one does need to test all the so called strategies......and the mechanics of the game....before i decide whether its worth buying

i hope your enjoying your gaming experience steve..... slow n steady is certainly fun....and like everything there is a time and a place for it

Old November 28, 2001, 19:32   #251
Alexander's Horse
Deity

It probably seems boring because its SP. Once you've multiplayed its hard to go back.

I've now reached 2018 in my first game and I'm nowhere near global conquest but I'll keeping going.

Old November 29, 2001, 00:05   #252
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

i tend to agree with AH , i prefer starting on the lower levels to get a feel for things then move on up.. I adding extra civs each time i play, so by the time i get to deity level i will playing agsint all 15 AI ...!!!!

Also i dont like civ specific units so i disabled them in al lgames ....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old November 29, 2001, 06:50   #253
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:20
WTF?
Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere but I've just gotten into the plus 1000AD era in my 3rd game. I'm on an island, alone and not met anyone....

But the turns are taking 10 mins or more! Is this right?

[I'm using a PIII450/384ram]

I'm getting so bored. It's like an MP game with no people!
Old November 29, 2001, 12:17   #254
Steve Clark
King

Local Time: 09:20
No, that is absolutely not right at all. The answer probably lies in Civ3-Help but I'm afraid to go there.
Old November 29, 2001, 14:03   #255
War4ever
Emperor

my pII266 can only play fast games on a standard map....Markus told me his 1.4gig machine has problems on large maps as well......

someone made a quip about firaxis making a speed em up patch but i don't remember who it was...

not sure what else to say about it Deity...we all seeem to be in the same boat
Old November 29, 2001, 19:33   #256
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I'm not having any speed problems with my PIII 500 or whatever it is and I've reached 2020.

Lost the war to the French. Had to sue for peace so I could regroup my armies. I'm playing Chieftain level

Old November 29, 2001, 19:47   #257
War4ever
Emperor

what size map are you playing.....and your regrouping....
Old November 29, 2001, 20:05   #258
Alexander's Horse
Deity

I knew you'd pounce on this War

I think I'm playing on a normal map but its got 3 large continents and my main forces are hard to resupply because they are in German territory on the same continent as the French who are now showing up in force (having taken all the cities I took off the Russians earlier in the game).

I'm going to make peace with everybody and bring my army home. Its badly in need of upgrading and I'm sure I'd lose it if I kept fighting from where it is. There are much more direct routes for attacking the French.

Also I noticed that whilst the war was on I neglected trade and resources, cities unconnected and so forth. I need to consolidate my gains.

The big drawback of razing cities is you leave a wasteland behind your armies which get bigger and bigger as they advance.

Old November 29, 2001, 20:17   #259
War4ever
Emperor

you know it i agree that razing creates a wasteland...the key is to raze some cites and not others..

in civ2 you folled the invasion force with engineers/setlers.... why don't you apply that policy here as well

it cannot be stated enough....civ3 plays just like its predecessors
Old November 29, 2001, 20:56   #260
Alexander's Horse
Deity

The city defection thing really pisses me off so I haven't been backfilling with my own cities.

I do keep some AI cities but usually only those with wonders or strat resources or good luxuries in their radius. A port or 2 as well. Its great to be able to raze the cities the AI has put in crap locations.

Old November 29, 2001, 23:45   #261
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

still bugs me i cant get the civs to start on the proper palces on the world map

But anyway just had my first city defection occur last night, i was the french and i happened to start in england !! i soon filled all of the british isles up before i had map making, and my culture expanded to include northern France/Germany, the romans built a city in around Belgium area and my culture expanded and soon i had a mainlain europe city.

I expected the Roamnsd to be be pissed off so i defended this well but not till i had built culture improvers in that city to prevent losing it back to the romans.

my presence on the continent though totally pissed of the japanese who were located in italy. after i refused to give them a tech they declared war.

Having only one city avaialble for them to attack made it easy for to defend, i soon had map making and transoprted many swordmen over to protect it and many workers to build roads and fortresses to fight back from. Being based in england i had no access to horses so my current plan is to expand from my europe base and take the romans out to get to the horses they control...

Stil lhaving fun , but the turns are getting long, i think it takes longer the higher you play up the difficulty scale, that maybe why AH hasnt noticed any slow down yet...
Old November 30, 2001, 00:31   #262
War4ever
Emperor

ras.... it should get longer as the map size increases...not as the difficulty level increases.....

AH....civs on the same island should be erradicated and cities should be kept.....unless you raze and repopulate with your own...

as for other continents.... the ports are good choices..... and i agree with poor ai choices for cities.....more proof that the ai really hasn't gotten any better...city placement is just as important in civ3...

true your cities will grow but they will expand only so much .....
Old November 30, 2001, 01:48   #263
Rasputin
lifer
Deity

Quote:
Originally posted by War4ever
ras.... it should get longer as the map size increases...not as the difficulty level increases.....
well i can defiantly tell you it is irrelavent of map size, i always play huge world map and in chieftan level turns are quicker than Warlord level....!!!!
Old November 30, 2001, 10:42   #264
rah
lifer
Apolytoners Hall of FameCivilization IV: Multiplayer
Just another peon

Local Time: 10:20
I really don't have a problem with city placement by the AI anymore, since they try to cover every square inch anyway. Any special or resource will be in range of a city eventually, so it's not as critical as in CivII.

I have been testing City reverting in my current game. (my last emporer game before Deity) And spaceship destruction too.

I took the French Capital, as my only city in the middle of the continent surrounded by all their culture.

1. If you raze their capital you don't destroy the spaceship.
But if you occupy it, bye bye spaceship. (much better than the move the spaceship scenario that happened in II.) I'm sure it mentioned this in the manual, but there are so many errors in the manual that I wanted to verify it.

The city had 21 citizens so it took awhile for resistence to end. During this time I tried different things.

The first time the city reverted (still some resisting) I went back and did another combat to reset the random number generator.
The city still reverted which leads me to believe that it's not random but based on other things.
There were like 2 content 10 resisters and 9 entertainers.
I had about 12 troops in the city.
The city had an airport so I flew in a couple of more units.
The city DID NOT revert. So far so good.
A couple of turns later it reverted again.
I went back, did a couple of extra combats to verify my previous test and the city still reverted. So unless it based on random and the percentage was so high that I couldn't stop it, I firmly believe it's NOT RANDOM.

So instead of flying in more troops I tried something else. I changed all the content (5) citizens to entertainers leaving just resisters and entertainers. THE CITY DID NOT REVERT.
So this has to be part of the equation.

So the number of garrisoned troops and the number of non-resisters and non-entertainers plays a role.
Unfortunately by now i've rushed the temple and cath. and the culture has increased a notch raising the city influence, so the city hasn't reverted yet for further testing.

Now until I get a city to expand I make sure that all citizens are either resisters or entertainers in the larger cities that I take over that can afford to starve until the culture expands the city influence. I don't bother with this on the smaller cities because a larger garrison seems to keep these cities in line.

If anybody else would like to duplicate to verify some of this, it would really be appreciated by a lot of people.

Rich

I usually do the starve and repopulate but since you can't airlift workers (still don't understand the rational behind that one) I've been testing other things.
Old November 30, 2001, 14:45   #265
drake
King

Local Time: 11:20
Quote:
I'm getting so bored. It's like an MP game with no people!
Now you know what it feels like to play with you Deity
Old November 30, 2001, 15:57   #266
War4ever
Emperor

Deity can't help it his connection is slow
Old November 30, 2001, 16:44   #267
drake
King

Local Time: 11:20
The connection between his brain and his hand?
Old November 30, 2001, 17:04   #268
War4ever
Emperor

damm civ3 newbies ....page load time is 21.38 seconds even with cable

oh are we live....... sounds like unresolved issues Drake......

Poor D has a bad rep, but i don't think its all his fault...the connection is the biggest slowdown....even if he takes his time... it is a TBS game after all
Old November 30, 2001, 21:38   #269
Alexander's Horse
Deity

Something really great happened last night. All the civs were against me so I made peace with them all. A few turns later the French attacked me and 4 civs allied with me against the French! Never saw that in civ II!

Old November 30, 2001, 21:47   #270
deity
DiploGamesCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization II Multiplayer
Emperor

Local Time: 03:20
Quote:
Originally posted by drake

Now you know what it feels like to play with you Deity
he he

Still smarting eh? LOL

You'll get over it...

BTW Even you said that I got more quality for my one hour turn than many other players, despite a slow connection (thanks war )