Old October 28, 2001, 14:19   #1
Seeker
Emperor

Local Time: 10:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
All I Needed To Hear...
"bombers based on carriers to provide support for marines ..."

FINALLY!! After only ten years the AI can use carriers!!
Old October 28, 2001, 15:45   #2
The Templar
Prince

Please forgive my cynicism, but after Civ1, Civ2, SMAC, CTP, and CTP2 - I'll have to see this before I believe it.
Old October 28, 2001, 16:02   #3
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

trust in soren.
Old October 28, 2001, 16:06   #4
The Templar
Prince

Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
trust in soren.
Why? I'll trust after I see his work.

And UberKrux, you forgot -
"In MP, human players use carriers" or some such. Have you resolved your issues now?
Old October 28, 2001, 16:09   #5
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

nah, im just filling out college applications and i'm a little busy. thanks for reminding me.

i never met a human that couldn't use a damn carrier.
Old October 28, 2001, 16:12   #6
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Quote:
nah, im just filling out college applications and i'm a little busy. thanks for reminding me.

You're filling out college apps? You mean you're in high school, and you're already this jaded? Scary.
Old October 28, 2001, 16:17   #7
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 07:21
I feel for you Uber.. I've been busting my ass over college apps/essays for the last week so they don't cut into my preciouse CivIII time.
Old October 28, 2001, 16:23   #8
SerapisIV
King

Ha...college essays...Ha!

I lucked out, my college didn't require any essay, though I think that changed recently. The benefits of going to engineering schools, communication beyond scientific equations is unneccesary until at least junior year.
Old October 28, 2001, 16:27   #9
SteveJH
Warlord

Quote:
Originally posted by SerapisIV
Ha...college essays...Ha!

I lucked out, my college didn't require any essay, though I think that changed recently. The benefits of going to engineering schools, communication beyond scientific equations is unneccesary until at least junior year.
Unfortunately for me the UC system feels essays are VERY important. I don't believe Cal States require them though.
Old October 28, 2001, 16:36   #10
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveJH
Unfortunately for me the UC system feels essays are VERY important. I don't believe Cal States require them though.
Every school I looked at wanted essays, except for the Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Luckily that was my first choice school. I appllied early (not early admission) and got accepted Friday, Oct. 13. Lucked out, my mom was really getting on my case about essays I had to write that weekend. Didn't have to after that letter. So I ended up only applying to one school, didn't have to write any essays
Old October 28, 2001, 16:53   #11
SteveJH
Warlord

Quote:

Every school I looked at wanted essays, except for the Univ. of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign. Luckily that was my first choice school. I appllied early (not early admission) and got accepted Friday, Oct. 13. Lucked out, my mom was really getting on my case about essays I had to write that weekend. Didn't have to after that letter. So I ended up only applying to one school, didn't have to write any essays
You have no idea how much I envy you. I'm applying to nine schools in California and Nevada (Las Vegas ) and only have 4 applications done so far... I should be done in about a week though, then it's Civ mania for me.
Old October 28, 2001, 17:12   #12
freemen
Settler

Quote:
[SIZE=1] The benefits of going to engineering schools, communication beyond scientific equations is unneccesary until at least junior year.
Amen that the trick. I know, am an engineering student, and i enter without doing anything, exept the prerequise of my program
Old October 28, 2001, 17:20   #13
SerapisIV
King

Yeah, but engineers don't have to work hard at applications like the liberal arts students do...but the liberal arts students don't have to work hard at school like the engineers do. Somewhere along the line I think we go the short end of that deal
Old October 28, 2001, 19:38   #14
Faboba
King

Local Time: 15:21
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:

Hi, I'm Duncan. I suck.
Old October 28, 2001, 19:57   #15
Dodgedemon
Settler

Local Time: 08:21
Quote:
...but the liberal arts students don't have to work hard at school like the engineers do. Somewhere along the line I think we go the short end of that deal
You're not kidding. One of my old roommates was a EE. Just watching him do those 4 hr. math problems made my brain hurt.
I feel for you guys.
Old October 28, 2001, 20:48   #16
The Templar
Prince

Here's a problem for you engineering types. Building a civ game where the AI can use aircraft carriers.

Oh, and the liberal arts are not all fun and games (just as engineering is not all tedium - just mostly tedium).
Old October 28, 2001, 21:01   #17
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:21
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Quote:
Originally posted by Dodgedemon
You're not kidding. One of my old roommates was a EE. Just watching him do those 4 hr. math problems made my brain hurt.
I feel for you guys.
4 hour math problems?? Is that all?? I say, the more the merrier!! Problems that take weeks at a time, thats what engineering is all about!!

Then again, im a software engineer. Some of these projects (in the real world, not uni) can take up to 10 years to complete.
Old October 28, 2001, 22:11   #18
aeturneus
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

go to a good liberal arts school on performance dependent academic scholarships and you will find out what work is like...

me? 14 papers this term, thats 150+ pages of well researched and skilfully argued bullshit... and I'm only in my third year. Next year, it gets way more intense, or so I hear.

I like it though
Old October 28, 2001, 22:24   #19
SerapisIV
King

Quote:
Originally posted by aeturneus
go to a good liberal arts school on performance dependent academic scholarships and you will find out what work is like...

me? 14 papers this term, thats 150+ pages of well researched and skilfully argued bullshit... and I'm only in my third year. Next year, it gets way more intense, or so I hear.

I like it though
Well, you just proved my point, bullshit, not real work, made up work.
Old October 28, 2001, 22:40   #20
Drake Tungsten
Deity

Local Time: 11:21
Have you ever actually tried to come up with plausible bullshit? It isn't as easy as it sounds. Throw in the fact that grading in the humanities is completely subjective and you have some difficult stuff. I'm currently a bullshit factory, writing resumes for summer internships while working on a 40-page historiographical paper about US-Japanese relations prior to Pearl Harbor. I only have to read about 10 books before I can write it....
Old October 28, 2001, 23:01   #21
aeturneus
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
Prince

Quote:
Yeah, but engineers don't have to work hard at applications like the liberal arts students do...but the liberal arts students don't have to work hard at school like the engineers do. Somewhere along the line I think we go the short end of that deal
hehe if you think the application is hard, wait till you get to the real thing.

Sometimes I envy the simple straightforward nature of the work you engineers do, but then I realize that if I wanted to be simple, I could just bang my head against the wall for a few hours

Seriously, there are 14 year old kids that go to university to study calculus, because ultimately all that stuff is just mathematical logic. You won't find those prodigies in english, political theory, etc... it is just considerably deeper stuff.
Old October 28, 2001, 23:21   #22
Stretch
Chieftain

Local Time: 09:21
Gee Serapis, an Ann Arbor folk in Champaign/Urbana.... I forsee you prancing around the tailgates in a big yellow Michigan shirt no matter who Illinois is playing.

Well on Tues or Wed I can tell you how quckly I could get CIV3 down here.

No place I applied wanted essays.. but then that was 1988 (and again in 1992 for grad school). Times they have changed

I can't wait to nuke someone.. hmm, what an interesting statement.
Old October 28, 2001, 23:24   #23
facistdictator
Chieftain

me too stretch. Just knowing that ive ended the lives of several million people makes me hard.
"How must the man be constituted who will lead Germany back to her old heights?" The man, should be a dictator not averse to the use of slogans, street parades and demagoguery. He must be a man of the people yet have nothing in common with the mass. Like every great man, he must be "all personality," and one who"does not shrink from bloodshed. Great questions are always decided by blood and iron." To reach his goal, he must be prepared "to trample on his closest friends," dispense law "with terrible hardness" and deal with people and nations "with cautious and sensitive fingers" or if need be "trample on them with the boots of a grenadier." ---Rudolf Hess
Old October 29, 2001, 00:11   #24
freemen
Settler

"Sometimes I envy the simple straightforward nature of the work you engineers do, but then I realize that if I wanted to be simple, I could just bang my head against the wall for a few hours"

You could but u would have a big headache for this. It is true that is requiert next to nothing to enter in engineering(in Quebec though) but it is 4 year of pain. 70 hre a week of work + the class it is kinda of painfull. I know that other program requiert the same work, but at least u read and dont have to knock your head off after that.

"You're not kidding. One of my old roommates was a EE. Just watching him do those 4 hr. math problems made my brain hurt.
I feel for you guys. "

4 hour, it is a little problem