Old October 28, 2001, 14:33   #1
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Faction .pcx files
I have about a dozen cloned factions, created for various pbem's I moderate. So far, I've just loaded other faction leaders graphic sets into the faction editor.

How do I insert custom graphics? I've tried just overlaying the deirdre pic that is in faction.pcx, but I still just get deirdre when I load the custom faction. Do I need to cut her out completely and replace?

I know from other custom factions that their custom graphics import into the game, so I'm tearing my hair out trying to find a solution

help anyone?
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 28, 2001, 18:27   #2
Cybergod
Prince

Local Time: 16:21
Say you created a faction called "United Idiots of Chiron"your faction FILE was called IDIOTS.TXT. In the text file, you will see #(capital letter name) this should be IDIOTS, ie. the same name as the txt file. Copy the faction files (the txt AND pcxs) into your smac folder. Now go to alpha.txt, go to the bottom ofd it where it gives a list of action names

Quote:
#FACTIONS
GAIANS, GAIANS
etc.
Now just replace the word IDIOTS with a faction you wish to replace. Make sure the name is written 2 times in the line like the rest. Now go into a new game and your faction should be there!

For SMAX place the "IDIOTS, IDIOTS" line in the #customfactions or something section and it, in a new game, when selecting faction, click on the down-arrow and "Idiots" should be there! They can also apear by chance in you games if you select "randomize" factions.
Old October 28, 2001, 19:30   #3
Googlie
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameAlpha Centauri PBEMApolyton Storywriters' GuildApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 GaiansACDG3 Data AngelsACDG3 MorganACDG3 CMNsACDG3 SpartansC4DG Team Alpha Centaurians
Emperor

Local Time: 08:21
Cybergod:

I have done all that (I need to do that for the Pirates Clone Wars PBEMs.

But what I can't get is the custom leaders pictures to appear in the game. For instance, Admiral Nimitz is the Commander of the Fleet (a clone faction). I have a Chester Nimitz photo on my clipboard, and can replace deirdre's pics in the faction.pcx file with Nimitz (4 changes) thru cutting out D's and inserting N's.

I then save this file as Fleet.pcx (it still has the gaian logos, etc, but now has Nimitz pictures. I have added FLEET, FLEET to the #CUSTOMFACTIONS and it appears as a choice in the faction menu selection for a new game, as well the pc will choose it occasionally from the random choice feature.

But each time it loads with Deirdre's picture, although nowhere is there an association with the gaians (other than the logo)

Even facedit shows the "Graphics Set" as Fleet, but with no picture appearing where yang's usually is.

This happens even when I replace an original. or a new, faction with FLEET.

I know it is possible to insert custom graphics, 'cos when I load any of Vel's, such as the Heretics or the Assassins, they load with his graphics.

My question posed was "how does one do this?"
Googlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 30, 2001, 14:28   #4
Cybergod
Prince

I don't get it. Maybe if you email the files (zipped please!) to my email so I can see...

kibernick@yahoo.com (prefer this one instead cos it's faster)
Old October 31, 2001, 16:30   #5
Cybergod
Prince

Yep, found it, as I said in my email to ya!

You forgot to load up the SMAC palette! The game won't handle that many colour so it loads up from the faction.pcx file! I hope my attachment I send to you works!

For the rest of you with the same problem, look up my thread called NO MORE PINK SQUARES or something (click on search).
Old November 17, 2001, 18:20   #6
Cybergod
Prince

Well...

Did it work?
Cybergod is offline   Reply With Quote