Old October 28, 2001, 18:52   #1
The Templar
Prince

Local Time: 10:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
This getting old ...
Looks like Ming just banned UberKrux again for circumventing the filter. You know if someone from Firaxis circumvented the filter they would not get banned. So it looks like the rules are either (i) selectively enforced, or (ii) a different agreement is made with "important people" than us peons with respect to forum behavior. If (i) the moderators/owners are hypocrites. If (ii), then the moderators/owners are not treating people equally. I would think that if Apolyton is a community (as opposed to a purely commercial venture), then the peons are as important as the visiting developers. Face it, no peons, no developers - no developers more people at civfanatics less interest in Apolyton. It's a positive feedback loop.

Sure, Markos et al. get to set the rules because its his site - so there is no first amendment issue. But free speech is also a moral issue, and while Ming , Markos, etc. have the right to exclude certain kinds of speech, I think they are morally wrong in exercising this right. (yes, one can have the right to do wrong.)

I see this as a respect issue. The average participant here is shown little respect lately. Thus, in protest of the itchy trigger fingers on bans around here, I will be boycotting Apolyton for two days. I recommend that everyone who feels the same joins me in the boycott (sort of a ban on Apolyton for their discourteous behavior).

Alright, I'm ready for the "rollyeyes" from the people who disagree, and ready for some week long ban based on whatever pretext Ming or whoever can think up for writing this.

Later (maybe).
Old October 28, 2001, 18:59   #2
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:22
The point here though, is that no one from Firaxis would ever circumvent the "curse" filter. Circumventing a filter that the owners of this site has put into place is not only childish but rude!
So I really don't see your point Templer.

Uber should consider himself luck to only getting a 2-week ban from the forum!

As far as I'm concerned, this type of disreguard for the forum rules shouldn't be put up with.
Old October 28, 2001, 18:59   #3
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

Complaints about this site belong in the Apolyton Forum...
So that is where this is going...
Old October 28, 2001, 19:07   #4
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
Re: This getting old ...
Quote:
Originally posted by The Templar
Alright, I'm ready for the "rollyeyes" from the people who disagree,
Good good...

I'm sure if a Firaxis employee behaved as Uber has, he would get banned til he cooled off.
Old October 28, 2001, 19:07   #5
Ming
lifer
Civilization II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerPolyCast TeamCivilization IV: MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of Fame
Retired

hmmm... you see this as a respect issue.

So, you are defending the following post that he made?

Quote:
my friend from babbages just stopped by and dropped off civ3, so i cancelled my preorder and i'm going to play now, so **** you all, espeically markos. die die die.

(it's awesome not to be gracious)
Yeah... a lot of respect in that post

ANYBODY that makes this kind of post will get restricted... no matter who they are!
Old October 28, 2001, 19:09   #6
Faboba
King

Local Time: 15:22
Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Templar, can I get some of the crack you've been smoking? Must be good ****.

People from Firaxis are welcomed and respected guests and not stupid tosspots like Uberkrux with nothing better to do than circumvent the langauge filter for a cheap laugh, to make a dig at Markos, the creator of this great site ( and if it wasn't a great site then why'd he come here anyway? )

Uberkrux is suffering from an attention seeking disorder.

Bet you can't make it two days. Not with it being two days to the release. You'll never be able to make it.

But it's up to you, I doubt anyone else will sign up for your stupid boycott though, thats for damn sure.
Old October 28, 2001, 19:14   #7
Faboba
King

BTW to quote from the faq.....

Quote:
We were a bit reluctant to say it in this past, but this a privately owned forum, not a public square. It is our right to accept or not accept certain kind of discussion or certain kind of users. We will be seting the rules and enforce them as we see fit. We believe in freedom of speech, but again, this is not a public square(there are laws that apply to public squares too, but that's another issue ). We hope that you understand our position.
In other words Markos and Dan wrote down the rules for this site, where they allow us to be, essentially, their guests. But if people like Uber don't like the house rules........

( To be honest I think he should get a harsher scentence. We all got worse for posting on forum 25 and that was only as a cheap laugh, this was pretty much malicious. If I was Markos and someone spoke to me like that, I'd be laughing all the way to the perma-ban controls....... )

Last edited by Faboba; October 28, 2001 at 19:23.
Old October 28, 2001, 19:18   #8
Faboba
King

[edit] accidently quoted my last post instead of editing it.

Why? Cause I'm an idiot.
Old October 28, 2001, 19:24   #9
The Rook
Warlord

What a joke. Wah wah some idiot got himself banned.

to the board mods.
Old October 28, 2001, 19:54   #10
MarkG
Apolytoners Hall of FameApolyCon 06 Participants
Apolyton CS Co-Founder

Local Time: 17:22
Re: This getting old ...
Quote:
Looks like Ming just banned UberKrux again for circumventing the filter. You know if someone from Firaxis circumvented the filter they would not get banned. So it looks like the rules are either (i) selectively enforced, or (ii) a different agreement is made with "important people" than us peons with respect to forum behavior.
amazing logic. you are complaining about a difference in the application of the rules in a situation that hasnt happened yet!!

when the day comes that a firaxian circumvents the swearing filter and we dont ban him, feel free to call us hyprocrites. until then try re-thinking the logic(?) of your post

and no, we dont ban people who post illogical arguments
Old October 28, 2001, 19:55   #11
Sarxis
Rise of Nations MultiplayerAlpha Centauri PBEMCivilization III MultiplayerCivilization III PBEMCTP2 Source Code ProjectCall to Power II MultiplayerCall to Power MultiplayerCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV CreatorsGalCiv Apolyton Empire
Emperor

Local Time: 11:22
Once again:
Apolyton isn't a democracy.
And Uberkrux can be annoying.
These two facts, don't mix.
Old October 28, 2001, 20:22   #12
The Templar
Prince

Never mind my boycott, I need to argue this one out.
To Wittlich,
I agree, Firaxians are polite - I was contemplating a hypothetical situation.

To Faboba,
Quote:
In other words Markos and Dan wrote down the rules for this site, where they allow us to be, essentially, their guests. But if people like Uber don't like the house rules........
Yes and their site would be a ghost town without our participation. It's a co-dependent relationship, I'll I'm suggesting is that they be reminded of this.

To Ming:
Now that I think about it, UberKruX is probably the worst case to defend. UberKruX showed you no respect. But you struck me as little too happy to ban the guy. And it makes me feel as though your more than willing to throw your weight around as a moderator. To my mind, moderators such as yourself are not showing respect to the participants here - and without us peons, I would remind you, there wouldn't be a forum. I think it is time you were given a few weeks vacation to cool out for awhile and remember that you are not a despot. Apolyton may not be a democracy - but it is a market and when people like you go to far the rest of us vote with their feet.
Old October 28, 2001, 20:30   #13
Grunthex
Warlord

Local Time: 08:22
Quote:
I would remind you, there wouldn't be a forum. I think it is time you were given a few weeks vacation to cool out for awhile and remember that you are not a despot. Apolyton may not be a democracy - but it is a market and when people like you go to far the rest of us vote with their feet.
So vote with your feet and leave. I for one am glad to have rules restricting that kind of immaturity.
Old October 28, 2001, 20:35   #14
Ming
lifer
Retired

The Templar
You are always welcome to your opinion... Someone has to enforce the Forum rules... and that's my job.

I take no pleasure in banning people... It takes time away from playing civ.

And you talk about respect... You call me a despot... and claim I probably like to throw my weight around... and that we don't respect the posters... Respect is a two way street

You are the one that supported a person who told the owner to **** off and to die. And then said it was a matter of respect.

And last... It took you SOME TIME before you figured out that it wasn't a very bright thing to do...
Old October 28, 2001, 20:45   #15
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Sorry Templar, but you have no case at all. Uber went beyond the call of duty to be rude and disrespectful to the people of Apolyton (me and YOU included) and was punished for it. Rather lightly too, i might add.
Old October 28, 2001, 20:45   #16
The Rook
Warlord

Quote:

To Ming:
Now that I think about it, UberKruX is probably the worst case to defend. UberKruX showed you no respect. But you struck me as little too happy to ban the guy. And it makes me feel as though your more than willing to throw your weight around as a moderator. To my mind, moderators such as yourself are not showing respect to the participants here - and without us peons, I would remind you, there wouldn't be a forum. I think it is time you were given a few weeks vacation to cool out for awhile and remember that you are not a despot. Apolyton may not be a democracy - but it is a market and when people like you go to far the rest of us vote with their feet.
Then go. There are other Civ sites, or even make your own. But no, you like this one don't you? That's because it is one of the better sites, if not the best. I am a moderator for a different message board and I have to deal with people like UK all the time. Then someone like you comes along and claims I am on a power trip. Let the mods do their job. Stop causing trouble.
Old October 28, 2001, 21:48   #17
Immortal Wombat
Apolytoners Hall of Fame
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
Quote:
Originally posted by Skanky Burns
Sorry Templar, but you have no case at all. Uber went beyond the call of duty to be rude and disrespectful to the people of Apolyton (me and YOU included)
...again...
Old October 28, 2001, 23:31   #18
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 09:22
Uber was way out of line. You speak of respect...as a customer of this forum you need to respect this forum, those people who control it, and those who use it, as well. If you fail to do that than you lose the respect of all involved. And if you haven't figured it out by now, blatantly circumventing a filter is disrespectful and insulting to everyone, then you need to go buy a clue, or at least graduate from the forth grade.
I am sorry, but there are too many immature people who hide behind anonymity on the Internet and act like complete fools and it sometimes gets to me.

Forgive my rant, as I am having a bad day and am probably overreacting.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:45   #19
Urban Ranger
NationStatesApolyton Storywriters' GuildNever Ending Stories
Deity

Local Time: 23:22
Templar,

You are defending a silly person with a hypothetical scenario. It just doesn't carry.
Old October 29, 2001, 16:59   #20
SlowwHand
inmate
Civilization II MultiplayerApolytoners Hall of FameGameLeague
Deity

Lemme see.

10% PCR for this thread, plus 10% PCR for fire Ming thread.

WHOA! 20% PCR. Damn dude.