Old November 1, 2001, 21:39   #31
Tau Ceti
King

Local Time: 17:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
2109 to Qantaga.

Yeah, it looks good if we get to choose the right techs. I am now on Biogenetics and have requested it from Q.

Once those crawlers are ready they can be put to good use immediately - NE of Morgan Industries there is a cluster of 3(!) rocky mineral special squares next to each other!
Old November 1, 2001, 22:06   #32
Qantaga
King

Local Time: 10:22
2109 sent to Flubber.

Tau, thanks for CentEco. I was able to choose PlanNets this time. I sent Biogen to you. I did notice all those nice Min. bonuses in your territory.

I was able to find a nice Nut. bonus, but, unfortunately it is covered by fungus for now.
Old November 2, 2001, 09:53   #33
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

Local Time: 09:22
2110 to Tau
Old November 2, 2001, 12:14   #34
Tau Ceti
King

2110 to Qantaga. Am also on Planetary Networks now.
Old November 2, 2001, 20:25   #35
Qantaga
King

2110 sent to Flubber.
Old November 2, 2001, 22:22   #36
Flubber
Alpha Centauri PBEMACDG PeaceAlpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Human HiveACDG Planet University of TechnologyACDG The Cybernetic Consciousness
Deity

2111 to tau

It appears that Tau will discover Planetary Net 1 turn before Qantaga (at Current rates). This would just give Tau the turn needed to gift it over . I know you will gift over the prereqs to Ind Auto as well.

Tau will you gift everything you have to qantaga then in the hope of increasing the chance that Ind Auto will appear or would that make no difference?
Old November 3, 2001, 08:53   #37
Tau Ceti
King

2111 to Qantaga.

I do not think anyone has yet figured out how the game decides which techs you are allowed to choose at any given time, so I intend to give as few techs as possible to keep costs down. As long as Qantaga gets to choose any other tech than IndBase, it is no disaster.
Old November 3, 2001, 10:56   #38
Qantaga
King

2111 sent to Flubber.

Going back to Flubber's query (just to make sure I understand, so please correct me if I am wrong), the reason Tau just needs to send IndEco and PlanNets is that those are the only two techs that I need for the possibility that the game will offer me IndAuto.

In other words, I only need the two immediate prerequisite techs and not all underlying prerequisites (like IndBase in this case). Is this correct?

Also, if I am not offered IndAuto, are there any preferences out there for a next tech? I would be inclined to choose something along the EnvEcon (Tree Farms) beeline, but I am open to any suggestions.
Old November 3, 2001, 11:25   #39
Flubber
Deity

2112 to tau

Qantaga-- I believe that underlying prereqs are NOT required. I have been in games where I stole or traded for higher level techs and and moved far up the tech tree before obtaining the lower tech (like applied physics).

As for options other than Ind Auto, I would like the restrictions lifting ones on the way to tree farms. While crawlers would be nice I would not be really in a good position to start using them for a few turns anyway
Old November 3, 2001, 13:46   #40
Tau Ceti
King

2112 to Qantaga. I agree with and support everything Flubber said.
Old November 3, 2001, 14:31   #41
Qantaga
King

Well played, team!

I was able to select IndAuto, so we will have crawlers next turn.

I know Tau will want IndAuto immediately. Flubber, since you said you can't use crawlers for a few turns anyway, just let me know when you want me to send it.

2112 sent to Flubber.
Old November 3, 2001, 15:09   #42
Flubber
Deity

2113 to Tau

I am undecided on the IndAuto thing. While I would not build crawlers for a few turns yet, the Wealth SE choice is always a handy one. Against this is that I am researching my first tech but it is non-crucial so it might be more important for me to get a faster infrastructure as opposed to any tech contribution I can make. I doubt my faction can be much tech help but just wait for my armies . . .

On balance i would say please give it to me now since cheaper rush builds- an extra energy per base and a commerce boost should compensate for the increased tech cost. I would jump into wealth immediately.

I am still pretty uncertain on which is better so if you folks have any comments, please let me know. As for you two is the next target gene splicing?? and on to eco-engineering??
Old November 4, 2001, 09:07   #43
Tau Ceti
King

2113 to Qantaga.

Those would be our targets. I guess... but I would like to stop by and pick up Social Psych (Rec. Commons will be needed soon) and SotHB (worms are hard to handle in FM/Wealth). Guess I can go for those while Qantaga takes EthiCalc and GS. Or should we leapfrog in an attempt to get the free tech?

As foryou, Flubber, your tech cost rises dramatically after your third tech discovery/gift/etc - in fact, it is likely to more than double - so although the benefits of wealth are great, I think you should consider waiting until you have finished your research before taking IndAuto. It is by no means clear cut though - depends on how long that will take and what you could build in the meantime.
Old November 4, 2001, 10:10   #44
Flubber
Deity

Ouch Double !! I did not realize the effect would be quite that dramatic. I will hold off on getting Ind Auto for now until after I have finished applied physics. My next choice will be Non linear maths (if available) -- or HEC as a 2nd choice

Once I start my next tech I think it would be definitely worthwhile to accept both Biogenetics and Ind Auto and get infrastructure ramped up. I won't need social psych for a long time as i will keep sending out CPs before I grow to size 3. I may wait on SOTHB as well since the fungus in Drone area is not that bad. Other than the two above, the next tech I may actually want would be Eco engineering

The plan for you folks sounds great. If you want SOTHB you may as well go for it now and get the free tech . . .then Social Psych, Ethical Calc and GS -- I am just loving the idea of playing the Drones without the worries of the million year wait to get the good techs.
Old November 4, 2001, 15:28   #45
Qantaga
King

2113 sent to Flubber.

Well my friends, I have made a terrible blunder. I forgot to send IndAuto to Tau this turn.

I closed the commlink, intending to go back in and send IndAuto once I had it, but I was so thrown off by my tech choices that I completely forgot to go back to the commlink and send it. Many apologies! I will send it next turn.

The techs have been falling into place so well, that I was a little taken aback when, much to my surprise, my only tech options were D:Mobility, ProgPsych and Applied Physics. I didn't want any of those, but I chose AppPhysics, with the thought that Flubber could send it to me when he gets it and I can hopefully switch to a better tech. Here's hoping Tau will get a good choice when I actually send IndAuto to him next turn.

My labs did take a big hit with all the techs Tau had gifted me. I am 15 years out of my next discovery, but I will have a Colony Pod on the move next turn and another to follow soon after, so that should speed things up a little.
Old November 4, 2001, 15:50   #46
Flubber
Deity

2114 to tau

Well qantaga-- it sounds as if you made the best of a bad range of options of available techs. I will get app pysics in 4 turns and will gift it too you immediately. As for me, I will want both biogenetics and Ind Auto as soon as I finish this tech and start another. The switch to Wealth and rushed rec tanks just seem too good to pass up once the cost of my next tech is set.

So far I am enjoying this but I can't help but think that Googlie has a powerful AI waiting to hit at us. Thats why some weapons would be good--- just in case.
Old November 4, 2001, 16:36   #47
Tau Ceti
King

2114 to Qantaga.

'Terrible blunder' seems to be quite an overstatement, Qantaga. I can live with a 1-turn delay. As for research speed, are you in FM yet?

Flubber, if you intend to take NlM, you will need InfoNets too. HEC should be available with what you already have.
Old November 4, 2001, 17:09   #48
Qantaga
King

Ah, now I feel better. IndAuto is on its way to Tau.

I am now in FM. I went to Wealth last turn, to get a little bump in my Colony Pod production. Then, I switched over to FM this turn, so my rate is currently down to 11 turns.

2114 to Flubber.
Old November 4, 2001, 22:28   #49
Flubber
Deity

2115 to tau

Thanks Tau for the reminder on the prereq-- I have to make that line on my "tiny tech tree" more apparent.

I may have to rethink impact since i could get HEC (get GS fro you folks) and then go Synth Foss. F.-- Might take a bit longer to get us an available weapon BUT it would be on an attractive beeline

I have also been thinking that the Planetary datalinks might be a worthwhile wonder if all the AI are techsharing in their alliance--

Any thoughts on these random musings
Old November 4, 2001, 22:58   #50
Tau Ceti
King

2115 to Qantaga.

Best case, it is one extra tech needed for Missile... which sounds very worthwhile. And I agree that the Datalinks could be very valuable.
Old November 4, 2001, 23:58   #51
Qantaga
King

2115 sent to Flubber.
Old November 5, 2001, 04:07   #52
Flubber
Deity

2116 to tau
Old November 5, 2001, 09:17   #53
Tau Ceti
King

2116 to Qantaga.
Old November 5, 2001, 14:13   #54
Qantaga
King

2116 sent to Flubber.

Since Flubber is about to get AppPhysics and send it to me, I am thinking that I will choose SocPsych if it is offered. Then, Tau can send that one to me when he discovers it. That should open up the Secrets of the Human Brain for me. I am currently 8 turns out, but I will have a new base settled in two turns, so that should speed things up a little.

Let me know if this sounds like a good plan or if there is a better tech I can choose once I get AppPhysics from Flubber.
Old November 5, 2001, 16:07   #55
Flubber
Deity

whew-- finally got in here

it all sounds good-- we need social psych to get Eth calc and on to gene splicing--

I already sent you applied physics and would like to see both biogenetics and Ind Auto for myself for my next turn. Then the next tech I might want would be ones for restrictions lifting as I can do without rec commons for a good while-- I feel rushed rec tanks and then some crawlers are in my future . . .
Old November 5, 2001, 19:39   #56
Qantaga
King

Wow, I can't believe I actually got into Apolyton today.

2117 to Flubber.

Thanks for AppPhysics. I was able to choose SocPsych.
Old November 5, 2001, 22:52   #57
Tau Ceti
King

2118 to Qantaga.
Old November 6, 2001, 00:15   #58
Qantaga
King

2118 to Flubber.
Old November 6, 2001, 14:35   #59
Flubber
Deity

2119 to Tau

I will have my next tech in 5 turns IIRC. I am about to undertake some rec tanks rushing and I am headed into the unity wreckage and hope to get the goodies that come with that.
Old November 6, 2001, 20:48   #60
Qantaga
King

2119 to Flubber.

Good luck amidst the wreckage. Hope you find lots of goodies!