Old October 28, 2001, 20:14   #1
SlowThinker
GameLeagueApolytoners Hall of Fame
King

Local Time: 17:22
Local Date: October 31, 2010
A game for rookies (for SP players)
I started a debate with La Fayette about trying to play a MP: Is more players interested?
I suppose 1x1x, king or emperor or deity? King is usual in MP but I have a feeling the game is concentraced to food too much.

Quote:
SlowThinker wrote on 28-10-2001 19:38:
Hi, La Fayette

Don't you wan't to try a slow multiplayer game?

Not very serious, I would like to see how it works.

We could play one or two or more hours once or twice per week, or stop playing if one of us wouldn't be interested to continue.

?
Quote:
La Fayette wrote on 28-10-2001 21:40:
I would also like to see how it works.
Hence I suppose the best method is to start playing with someone who has played before. We might ask Julius Brenzaida or Scouse Gits or Carolus Rex (I name these because they are friends of mine and live in Europe = easier timetables)
Quote:
SlowThinker wrote on 28-10-2001
OK. I started a new thread in Civ2: multiplayer and you will contact and notify Juliuses, Scouses, Caroluses etc. Do you agree?

I was impatient and went to the Zone today. I started a game with two other persons, one retired soon. Another asked me if I am that SlowThinker from forums (CivSlowThinker was my nick there). Then he was almost fascinated and proposed a duel (human against human, no AI). I asked him if he is that DeityDude from forums, since it was his nickname. He answered: not exactly, you will see later who I am. But after a short debate I knew it is Enigmatic Eyes! He wondered: is it so obvious?
We played two starts of a duel game then. He was very surprised when I thought 1 minute over the starting position (terrible! 1 minute. I am able to think a half of hour about it), but he was patient and let me to think a little. But I didn't think enough: I retired the first game soon when my granary was sold due to low taxes. But he retired the 2nd game in 3050 in a worse position. He was too war oriented. He didn't go to monarchy but picked war advances. Of course, after he retired, he explained me what kind of a rookie and stupid man I am and that he wan't waste his time with me. (I tried to persuade him that I don't belive him when he pose like an idiot and that I know he smiles during writing sentences typical for him, but no success.) But he was satisfied with the first game. I have a small suspicion he cheated (by revealing the map) and he retired when he saw my better position.

Last edited by SlowThinker; October 29, 2001 at 04:05.
Old October 28, 2001, 22:52   #2
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

Local Time: 01:22
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Welcome to the Club
You too can now lay claim to beating the great Eyes of night... your description of the game is exactly how all his games go, if you retire he claims victory and scorns you , if he reutres he refuses to accept you win and claims he elft out of boredom...

Well done, but stay out of the zone.....
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 29, 2001, 04:11   #3
SlowThinker
King

Re: Welcome to the Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Rasputin
but stay out of the zone.....
Why?
Old October 29, 2001, 04:22   #4
Rasputin
lifer
DiploGamesThe Courts of Candle'Bre
Deity

why >?>
because the style of player there usually is one that prefers dules not Multipalyer. they usually play much like eyes, and whinge hepas if you wont play their way... post here what type of game you like and i am sure you will soon find some interested palyers, there are many varied types here, some that like duels, some that play team (tribe) we also play differnet levels, some play king some deity... so just decide when and how and post it here
GM of MAFIA #40 ,#41, #43, #45,#47,#49-#51,#53-#58,#61,#68,#70, #71
Old October 29, 2001, 10:30   #5
drake
King

Local Time: 11:22
Well zone is good if you like mindless war games. Don't expect anything "civil" there though
Old October 29, 2001, 11:27   #6
reds4ever
Prince

Local Time: 16:22
slow, get ICQ and download the civilization list from civfanatics.com, you'll get much better games than on the zone
Old October 29, 2001, 14:21   #7
Deity Dude
Civilization II MultiplayerDiploGamesCivilization IV: Multiplayer
King

Quote:
I asked him if he is that DeityDude from forums, since it was his nickname. He answered: not exactly, you will see later who I am. But after a short debate I knew it is Enigmatic Eyes! He wondered: is it so obvious?
So let me get this straight. You're saying you played someone with my name on the zone and it was Eyes.

I know it wasn't me but how do you know for sure it was Eyes.

My name on the zone is _DeityDude because somehow my old name DeityDude had its password changed. Could this be the culprit.

I play mostly 1x1x or 2x1x games and hardly ever play duels. If you are ever interested in playing a 1x1x game on the zone let me know. Remeber look for _DeityDude.
Old October 29, 2001, 16:00   #8
EyesOfNight

"But he retired the 2nd game in 3050 in a worse position. He was too war oriented. He didn't go to monarchy but picked war advances. Of course, after he retired, he explained me what kind of a rookie and stupid man I am and that he wan't waste his time with me."

What a joke. I told you to hope that we never have a run in on the forums slow, but I guess I need to prove that point to you. First of all, slowthinker has never finished a game in his life. He thought because it was king level he should build granaries in his cities before settlers. LOL He was then mystified when his granary got sold because he couldn't pay for it. That was the end of the second game. Third game I had half the map explored with horsemen all over. (He still felt building granaries was a superior strategy to my own and felt the need to prove this. He also didn't believe me when I said granaries are never needed no matter what level.) Did I mention the first game I went republic without researching horsebackriding? Why do you think this is? Let me explain it to you. Second game I went horse first because I now saw the full extent of just how terribly bad you are at this game. Come on, granaries before settlers? I now knew I had the luxury of going REPUBLIC (not monarchy you idiot) later than I usually would because I could probably destroy you with just a couple of horsemen. I quit the game because you started taking 2 minutes with only a couple of warriors to move!!!! Is it too complicated for you to handle 2 cities and 2 units? You then try to tell me about how you're thinking about algorithims in your economy and other ****. What you really are is a self proclaimed genius who is in reality a moronic geek that has yet to discover even the rudimentary skills of one of the simplest games ever made. I cringe to think of just how long your turns would take with 4 cities and 4 units!!! My god!! It would take 20minutes a turn no doubt. All the **** you talk on the forums about algorithims and equations (which by the way any lame brained mathemitician could come up with) and you turn out to be the WORST player I have ever played. This is no joke. I have never met anyone so bad at this game as you. You couldn't even understand the concept of saved games and looking at maps once the game has stopped. I will never ever play you again and I feel sorry for anyone who has the misfortune of playing you. You are not even worth beating for a beginner. You're a fraud, plain and simple. By the way, I was on as NS_Dulaak. I can kind of see the resemblance to DeityDude. you know...that D and all.

Old October 29, 2001, 16:07   #9
SlowThinker
King

Deity Dude,
On Sunday about 10pm GMT there was _DeityDude on the Zone and I logged to his computer. Then somebody else joined and later somebody retired. I stayed on the game with Eyes (it was him for 97%) only, I thought it is _DeityDude because I didn't notice the host was passed. But then Eyes was logged as NS_Dulaak.
??
Old October 29, 2001, 16:49   #10
drake
King

Different name, same old eyes

I do agree that building granaries in a duel seems kinda silly though

There are genres in which you build improvements, but duels arent them
Old October 29, 2001, 16:54   #11
SlowThinker
King

When I talked with Eyes on the Zone I had an impulse to copy Eyes' brilliant sentences and to bring them to the forums. Thank you Eyes to come in person
Old October 29, 2001, 16:59   #12
SlowThinker
King

Quote:
Originally posted by drake I do agree that building granaries in a duel seems kinda silly though
There are genres in which you build improvements, but duels arent them
Unfortunately a lesson was withholded to me...
Old October 29, 2001, 20:59   #13
EyesOfNight

Your lesson was withheld due to the fact that you take 30 sec or more per unit move. And in the beginning you took a minute per turn to move your settler 1 square. This wasn't even 2x2x, it was 1x1x. I'm sorry, but you are just too much of a rookie for me to waste my time on you. I would suggest massive amounts of practice.

Old November 6, 2001, 02:31   #14
Lung
King

*Lung jumps into deep end* I have just acquired Test of Time, and wish to partake in a multiplayer game. I am a rookie, at least when it comes to Civ2 multiplayer. I am a veteran CTP play-by-email-er who loves to go berserk for the slightest reason, and a veteran Civ2'er, but as Civ2 multiplayer, i'm a newbie.

I know there's heaps of ways to cheat in Civ2, but i'll play anyway. I am in Australia, so i can play usually between 9am - 12pm GMT and 5pm to 8pm GMT. Anyone want to take on a deluded Aussie?

I'll take youse all!!
Old November 6, 2001, 14:30   #15
SlowThinker
King

Quote:
Originally posted by Lung
*Lung jumps into deep end* I have just acquired Test of Time, and wish to partake in a multiplayer game. I am a rookie, at least when it comes to Civ2 multiplayer. I am a veteran CTP play-by-email-er who loves to go berserk for the slightest reason, and a veteran Civ2'er, but as Civ2 multiplayer, i'm a newbie.

I know there's heaps of ways to cheat in Civ2, but i'll play anyway. I am in Australia, so i can play usually between 9am - 12pm GMT and 5pm to 8pm GMT. Anyone want to take on a deluded Aussie?

I'll take youse all!!
No ToT here and a bad time...