Old October 29, 2001, 00:03   #1
Aendolin
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:23
Local Date: October 31, 2010
Firaxis, how about releasing the terrorist options as a DLable "extra"
..from your website? I see why you can't have it in the retail game, but why stop the people who really want it from having it? How can I wage a moral war against countries who commit unspeakable acts of horror if these acts aren't allowed? Alternately, what if I want to play a few games being the "bad guys"? Would it be possible to do this, even with an unofficial patch?

Thanks for listening.
Old October 29, 2001, 01:49   #2
SITS
King

Re: Firaxis, how about releasing the terrorist options as a DLable "extra"
Quote:
Originally posted by Aendolin
..from your website? I see why you can't have it in the retail game, but why stop the people who really want it from having it? How can I wage a moral war against countries who commit unspeakable acts of horror if these acts aren't allowed? Alternately, what if I want to play a few games being the "bad guys"? Would it be possible to do this, even with an unofficial patch?

Thanks for listening.
How about writing letters saying sorry for your insensitivity to families of the 5000 victims?
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 29, 2001, 02:04   #3
N_A
Chieftain

Local Time: 07:23
I think the point here is for the players to get a chance to kick their asses. I also feel that terrorists should be a bunch of guys like the barbarians, except a tougher nuisiance.
Old October 29, 2001, 02:41   #4
player1
Emperor

Local Time: 17:23
From a gameplay point, since anytype of SPY missions is now in a espionage screen, theese things need to be events (not somethnig to fight against), exept with maybe a counter espionage (CIA & Co.).

P.S.
Of course you can always balme some country and wage war against it.
Old October 29, 2001, 04:01   #5
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Yeah Firaxis, how about rewriting the AI script for EVERY CIV and the espionage front end as well as creating the actual scripts needed to put in terrorist functions to keep a small minority happy.

Or you could just release a bug fix in order to keep the download size smaller. BTW if you do think about doing what he suggests could you have whingeing bastard and non-whingeing bastard versions of the patch please? Cause I'd really appreciate that.
Old October 29, 2001, 04:19   #6
LaRusso
King

Re: Re: Firaxis, how about releasing the terrorist options as a DLable "extra"
Quote:
Originally posted by SITS

How about writing letters saying sorry for your insensitivity to families of the 5000 victims?
You are so anti-america that having a conversation with you would be poinless. You may or maynot feel you are an enemy of the United States, I don't care either way. However if I still worked for the Goverment I would turn over your e-mail address to my bosses and what ever happen, happens.
Old October 29, 2001, 06:39   #7
Aendolin
Chieftain

Quote:

If you think for a moment that I am insenstive about what happened there, I'm sorry to dissapoint you. I had a cousin a block away, as well as several other people I know who worked there, most of whom fortunately were not in the building.

I guess this once again boils down to the argument of those who want realism at all costs versus those who want to enact some sort of moral barrier against the most heinous acts being in the game, because that will somehow make them dissapear in the real world. I am obviously in the former camp; I want a chance to play a game where I can punish the people who commit these acts.

I'm sure the veterans of World War II don't feel too spiffy that we are now basing their hardships and sacrifices on trivial games.

As for changing the whole script, I doubt that will be extremely difficult. According to CGM, Firaxis already had a few terrorist options in it before the WTC was hit.

This will probably be my last post on this subject; I don't want to get into an argument.
Old October 29, 2001, 06:41   #8
Panzer
Warlord

Local Time: 16:23
Quote:
I think you are overreacting here. I feel these options should be included because terrorism (sadly) IS a part of this world. Besides, no one forces you to use them (I never used them in Civ2, except a few times when the target Civ was asking for it).

Besides, the only options were 'plant nuke' and 'poison watersupply'. Your outburst would have been justified if there was an option called 'crash airplane into civilian homes' but this is not the case.

(I was hoping for the option that you could blame another civ for your atrocity (like SMAC) and watch them kill each other off. "MAD in action, watch the Aztecs and French nuke each other to the next dimension after 'Aztec' terrorists planted a nuke in Lyons. Brought to you live by the German television network." )

Hey, I'm a Chieftain now! Yay! Can anyone tell me how I can put something under my title? I want mine to be Chieftain of the Blitz

Last edited by Panzer; October 29, 2001 at 06:53.
Old October 29, 2001, 06:54   #9
Wexu
Warlord

Quote:

Have you ever fired a nuclear missile in Civ? How 'bout writing letters to .. I don't even know how many..

This 11th of September is really getting out of hands. If something terrible happens in US then it's a Holy thing. Everyone must grieve! Everyone must hold silent moments and put flag to half pole. Whole world must be terrified. BUT if something even more horrible happens .. let's say in Africa, you don't give a **** about it! You're so naive.

Of course what happened at 11th was a very sad thing, but wake up! We must now turn our noses to the future and try to find peaceful ways to settle disagreements between nations. Killing is not answer to anything.

Sorry if I made someone sad or angry..

Now everyone back to topic!

Last edited by Wexu; October 29, 2001 at 07:03.
Old October 29, 2001, 07:25   #10
Aendolin
Chieftain

Ok, one more post...I just have a few more things to say.

Let me start off by saying I like being the good guys in games. In Civ II, I play the enlightened pacifist. In Might and Magic 7, I always choose the light path. In Age of Kings I sometimes hold back my army to let my priests convert the enemy peasants, so they won't be killed when I attack their army. Do I realize I am in a game? Of course I do. But still, it's nice to be the good guys.

But, sometimes, in 1 out of every 100 games, I enjoy being the bad guy. I choose the dark side in Jedi Knight. I am a nuclear psychopath in Civ II. Again, do I realize its a game? Yes. Would I ever even think of committing these acts in real life? Absolutely not. Would I feel horrible if these events did happen in real life? A qualified yes.

That is why I would appreciate the terrorist options. To play out the conflict of good and evil within me.

How can there be absolute goodness without absolute evil? If we simply take out the most horrific elements of mankind, we are taking out a part of who we are, as horrifying as it may be. The wonderful kindness in the world is there to couteract the evil within it.

This is what is so wonderful about Civilization. It lets you play out the drama that is humanity. But how can we be a moral, enlightened state if there is no despicable evil state to counter it? As I said before, I enjoy being the upholder of
"Goodness". I need a counterweight to oppose me.

I don't think I'm alone in my opinions. I'm sure many people feel the way I do. A lot of them are too nervous to say anything, however, as they fear, rightly so, that they will be attacked by peole calling them "insenstive".

As I mentioned earlier, Firaxis even had a few terrorists acts in the game before the tragedy happened. Ignoring them won't make them go away, however. In fact, we will be doing what the terrorists' want us to do (sorry for using this overused phrase): living our lives differently then how we would have before the attack.

Ok, I'll shut up now....
Old October 29, 2001, 08:33   #11
Rince
Chieftain

I totally agree with you, Wexu. All the drama and world wide grief is pure affectation.

Greetings,

Rince
Old October 29, 2001, 09:22   #12
Rege
Chieftain

I agree with you, Aendolin.

All weapons in CIV III - Panzer tanks, Bomber planes, nukes, etc. Killed hordes of people- should we take that back too?

I think that a game could have an option - Just like those gory games with an option that those who really are affected can just turn off terrorists...
Old October 29, 2001, 09:56   #13
Dimension
Warlord

Local Time: 10:23
Sure, plenty of people like Rince and Wexu wouldn't care if 10,000,000 Americans were killed, but I dare say that the "drama and worldwide grief" is not artificial. Many people have their own petty reasons to resent America, but most can pull their heads out of their asses long enough to sympathize for something that transcends national identity.

Try to have a little respect for people's feelings. When was the last time 6,000 people were killed in your country for a cause they hadn't even heard of?

My grandparents both worked in Hawaii and saw the bodies of people they knew flying through the air. Sure, it was 60 years ago, and only 1,200 people died on the U.S.S. Arizona, but I'm not going to go making jokes about it when they're around.

Most people are also smart enough not to take the 150,000 deaths at Hiroshima and Nagasaki lightly or say, "They had it coming." It shouldn't require an explanation of the reasons Japan sided with Germany, or why Japan as a whole had very little control of their military.

But then some people are just stupid, and they think there is some kind of nobility to being honest enough to admit they don't care. I can guarantee that these people would keep their mouths shut if they were ever in New York, though. Stop fooling yourself. You're not superior to all the "fake" mourners. You're just cocky and out of touch with reality.

And then there are the idiots like SITS at the other end of the spectrum. This guy is just as bad as Rince and Wexu. He also shows his superiority complex with his holier-than-thou post. These people can all be grouped together with the people who try to ruin every message board by totally ignoring the intent of every thread and just trying their hardest to start arguments.

"How about writing letters saying you're sorry..." How about trying a little too hard to pretend you care? Give me a break. That's why it's called a game. Committing a terrorist act in a game doesn't mean you condone them any more than shooting someone in Quake means you're a murderer. Adding another facet to the game shouldn't be looked at the same as overt bad taste. Allowing spies to poison the water supply in a game isn't going to disrespect the memory of perished New Yorkers. Now KZ Manager, the game where you run a concentration camp and get money by selling gold fillings... that had overt bad taste, but accusing Aendolin for wanting to put a feature back in Civ3 is a true sign of ignorance.
Old October 29, 2001, 10:26   #14
Aendolin
Chieftain

Did you ever play the WW2 pacific theatre scenario, Dimension? The scenario starts with many Japanese planes surrounding Pearl Harbor and bombing everything in it in one turn. I wonder what your grandfather would say if he saw all the horror and trauma he went through turned into one bland turn, with all the men who died being merely statistics....

It's kind of scary when you think about it, how we treat things that happen long enough in the past.

Those who forget history...
Old October 29, 2001, 11:42   #15
drake
King

Local Time: 11:23
They shouldnt have pulled anything from the game, whether it be for terrorism or espionage. Games are games. They are not realistic. They are not designed to simulate history even. They are for entertainment purposes.
Old October 29, 2001, 12:01   #16
Wexu
Warlord

Dimension,

Did I say I wouldn't care when Americans die? Maybe you should buy eyeglasses or learn to read. I said 11th Sep. was a very sad thing. I really grieved for those people who died and was horrified that someone can do things like that, but you don't have to make a worldwide "show" from it.

And I can bet every penny I have that you wouldn't put flag to half pole and no-one would have a silent moment at the beginning of a baseball match is something like this would happen in Africa.
Old October 29, 2001, 12:24   #17
SITS
King

Hmmm.

The WTC happened, what 6 weeks ago? And you are saying you want a simulation that models that? I think that is insensitive for a number of reasons.

1) The attack on America is an act unparalleled in history
2) It is still very much a current event
3) It has affected a great many people
4) People still feel at risk from terrorism and some are dying from it right now

Comparing it to Pearl Harbour is erroneous. It was an attack by armed forces against armed forces - that is what armed forces are about. Civilians being targeted going about their daily business by a group of people (rather than a nation) is several degrees different.

Pearl Harbour happened 60 years ago as far as I know there was no game based on it within six weeks of it happening. If someone wanted to base a game on the WTC in 60 years time then fair enough. But having a game now that models those actions when people still haven't got a body to bury is insensitive.

I live in a town called Warrington, which is in the northwest of England. In 1993 a bomb planted by the IRA went off in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon which was full of kids shopping for Mother's day presents for the next day. A two year old and eleven year old boy were killed by that act of terrorism. It is a memory that is still very much there for people even though only a 'relatively' few people died. I don't want to see a game based on the killing of two boys (and I'm not so much talking about Civ here) for entertainment purposes. It would feel wrong to me.

We can do things in a sensitive way. I understand that Spielberg consulted with veterans whilst making Saving Private Ryan. In fact the spin-off tv series has veterans talking about their experiences. It allows the audience to 'remember' the horror of war and have a way to understand what happened.

There are also commercial reasons for Firaxis not to include such things. Can you imagine the headlines? 'SICK GAME - BE A TERRORIST' Why would a company want to risk that?

As to being an 'idiot'. Hmmm. I don't think I ignored the intent of the post I just said it was insensitive. Which I believe it is. So I don't think I'm ruining this message board I just expressed my opinion which others have done. I strongly disagreed with Aendolin's post and I posted that not with the intent of starting an argument. The is what message boards are about.

In the end it is about real people. I think some people forget that.
'No room for human error, and really it's thousands of times safer than letting drivers do it. But the one in ten million has come up once again, and the the cause of the accident is sits, something in the silicon.' - The Gold Coast - Kim Stanley Robinson

'Feels just like I can take a thousand miles in my stride hey yey' - Oh, Baby - Rhianna
Old October 29, 2001, 13:19   #18
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Hmmm.

The WTC happened, what 6 weeks ago? And you are saying you want a simulation that models that? I think that is insensitive for a

[and all that stuff inbetween]

th the intent of starting an argument. The is what message boards are about.

In the end it is about real people. I think some people forget that.

It is a game, for crying out loud! Being a New Yorker in the military who had some loved ones involved (a lot more near misses than anything else, thankfully), I don't feel it is at all relevant. No one is making a game where your goal is to fly some planes into a civilian building! There are some Mods to some games where your goal is to hunt down and kill Osama, however.

But c'mon people, you can go too far. Yes it was tragic, and I lost it for about a week or two. But it is time to get back to normal life. Yeah I'm sure I'll get some pretty nasty responses, because I am " so insensitive". I am sick of people going overboard on gaming forums. Every one I go on nowadays has some nut claiming everyone is a flaming pile of poo because they are so insensitive to the tragedy.

Ever think we (the US) are the cause of a lot of these terrorists? How many have we trained? How many have we financed? Yes, it was to fight "a greater evil of the time," but to think we are innocent in all of this is absurd. There are greater evils in the world that we don't even know about. People being slaughtered by the tens of thousands...

I am not trivializing it, despite it seeming like I am. To attack civilians I think is a barbaric act, but that happens all over the world, it's just that it usually isn't to Americans. We all feel we are protected in our little country, yet it is our “freedom” that leaves us so vulnerable. We think no one will mess with us because “we are so powerful.” How asinine and arrogant can we be? And the sad part is most Americans don’t even appreciate what it is they have. Not to offend any of our foreign brethren, however I have been to some places overseas that made me appreciate what we have here (ignorance and arrogance are excluded). I don’t mean to the desert I mean to “civilized” countries. I understand that what I have seen was not typical in some of the larger cities, but hey, even here in Alabama I have a lot more conveniently and technologically. I think every American should experience that.

God bless all of the victims of this tragedy, and I am sorry if I offended you or upset you in some way with this discussion.
Old October 29, 2001, 14:05   #19
Wexu
Warlord

Elucidus,

Very good post!
Old October 29, 2001, 14:22   #20
BitMaster
Settler

Quote:
The WTC happened, what 6 weeks ago? And you are saying you want a simulation that models that? I think that is insensitive for a number of reasons.
We don't want a "simulation that models the WTC" tragedy. Terroristic acts would have been most certainly part of Civ3 if not for the WTC attack (like they were part of Civ2; haven't played Civ1 for a very long time, so I can't say anything about that). More about that in the rest of the post.

Quote:
1) The attack on America is an act unparalleled in history
How so? If you think it's unparalleled because no one ever flew planes into buildings to kill thousands of peoples, then I have to agree with you. Otherwise history is full of events where innocent people were killed in hideous and murdeous ways, both by governments and non-government organizations. However, governments were usually much more effective when they tried.

Quote:
2) It is still very much a current event
Do you know how many people are dying every day? Dying of hunger? Dying in stupid 'armed conflicts'? Right now? While you read this post?

Quote:
3) It has affected a great many people
Mhm, 40 million people died in WWII. I guess that counts as "affected a great many people". That doesn't seem to have stopped people making WWII simulations and stuff like that.
And don't try that "long ago" **** on me. Considering my answer on your point 2 and applying your logic, we would have to remove the whole military system out of civ and make sure people can't die of starvation in the game.

Quote:
4) People still feel at risk from terrorism and some are dying from it right now
Reprocessing sentence... "People still feel at risk from war and some are dying from it right now"
Solution: Remove military units from civ

Quote:
Comparing it to Pearl Harbour is erroneous. It was an attack by armed forces against armed forces - that is what armed forces are about. Civilians being targeted going about their daily business by a group of people (rather than a nation) is several degrees different.
So it's perfectly OK, if young people who would have actually liked each other had they met under more favourable conditions, are killing each other? If those people had no other choice to fight each other, either because of laws or because their culture is messed up in a way that makes them want to "die gloriously for their country"?
War and terrorism are both crimes. You can argue if you want to, which one is worse or if something can be a crime if there is no law against it, but for me, they are both crimes.

Quote:
Pearl Harbour happened 60 years ago as far as I know there was no game based on it within six weeks of it happening. If someone wanted to base a game on the WTC in 60 years time then fair enough. But having a game now that models those actions when people still haven't got a body to bury is insensitive.
Well, mainly there weren't many computers available at that time. I'm not sure when the first thing that might be called a "game" was created but I'm pretty sure it was much later.
If we extend "game" to non-computer games (which would be the first thought on a board like this), well, I don't know how old it is exactly, but I know something that I would translate into "Sinking Ships". I'm pretty sure there is a different name for it in English, but I can't remember. Considering that all you need for it is a pen and two pieces of paper, I'm pretty sure it has been played long ago. Maybe even after Pearl Harbor? Maybe Pearl Harbor created the game? I don't know. But after having observed people for quite some time I think those are possible options.

Quote:
I live in a town called Warrington, which is in the northwest of England. In 1993 a bomb planted by the IRA went off in the town centre on a Saturday afternoon which was full of kids shopping for Mother's day presents for the next day. A two year old and eleven year old boy were killed by that act of terrorism. It is a memory that is still very much there for people even though only a 'relatively' few people died. I don't want to see a game based on the killing of two boys (and I'm not so much talking about Civ here) for entertainment purposes. It would feel wrong to me.
I don't want to see a game like. Neither do want I to see a game like "The WTC Attack - Perfect it!". What I want is just the terrorist feature from Civ2 back, perhaps upgraded like the rest of the game, but removing them just because of the WTC attack is dumb. Civ already abstracts things very much. If you complain about something like the terrorist options in civ2, then you must complain about the whole military engine as well, considering how many people died in the past and will die further through military actions. But if you can't take that, I suggest Civ isn't the right thing for you at all.

Quote:
We can do things in a sensitive way. I understand that Spielberg consulted with veterans whilst making Saving Private Ryan. In fact the spin-off tv series has veterans talking about their experiences. It allows the audience to 'remember' the horror of war and have a way to understand what happened.
Yes, and that's very important. I just can't apply it directly to the discussion we are facing right now, though. You are not complaining about the civ military system (unless you did so in another thread I haven't read so far) so I guess you are OK with it, even though you play something like WWII with it (in fact, there are many scenarios for civ2 who did just that...). And I honestly fail to see the difference between civ2 style terrorist actions and civ2 warfare. Both are, as I already stated, as abstract as you can get without dropping back to pure numbers.

Quote:
There are also commercial reasons for Firaxis not to include such things. Can you imagine the headlines? 'SICK GAME - BE A TERRORIST' Why would a company want to risk that?
Yeah, I can imagine the media stirring up **** like that. Watching the news sometimes, it's just the stuff they seem to really like. But I'm sure none of us wants to turn this forum into a discussion board about rather dumb and stupid mass media. Apart from being off-topic, almost everyone knows that already.
And, btw, that doesn't have much to do with you original post.

Quote:
As to being an 'idiot'. Hmmm. I don't think I ignored the intent of the post I just said it was insensitive. Which I believe it is. So I don't think I'm ruining this message board I just expressed my opinion which others have done. I strongly disagreed with Aendolin's post and I posted that not with the intent of starting an argument. The is what message boards are about.
I think you missed the point of the post. The original poster just wanted the terrorism feature back, as abstract as it was in civ2. You are treating that as if he asked for a WTC attack simulator in it.
The rest of us is talking about a button in a dialog box that, depending on randomly generated values, modifies certain bit patterns in memory, changing certain local and global aspects in a construction that we call "the game Civilization" represented through aforementioned bit patterns in aforementioned memory.

If the abstract form of terrorism that was possible in civ2 makes you feel unhappy, then that's fine with me. I don't mind it. I just suggest you think about the rest of the game as well then. According to your logic, you would have to be disgusted about the whole military system as well (I'm repeating myself, I know).
What I do mind however, is that you imply ill will in many posters here (namely the first one).
A lot of people dislike FPSs. I don't have a problem with that, provided they don't start talking bullsh!t like saying "FPS players are muderas or training to be them".

I wouldn't mind terrorism being optional and switched off in standard. If there is no terrorism in the game but there is a fan patch that enables civ2 style terrorism (or something similiar), I will most likely install it. If there is some disgusting stuff like "hijack plans and fly them into buildings" in there, they will get my contempt.

Edit: vB tags
Old October 29, 2001, 14:55   #21
Dimension
Warlord

Local Time: 10:23
Wexu:

Quote:
Did I say I wouldn't care when Americans die? Maybe you should buy eyeglasses or learn to read. I said 11th Sep. was a very sad thing.
I think you're the one who should go read your post again. Look at what you said again and tell me if you think the sarcasm is appropriate:

Quote:
This 11th of September is really getting out of hands. If something terrible happens in US then it's a Holy thing. Everyone must grieve! Everyone must hold silent moments and put flag to half pole. Whole world must be terrified. BUT if something even more horrible happens .. let's say in Africa, you don't give a **** about it! You're so naive.

Of course what happened at 11th was a very sad thing, but wake up!
And now you're lying about what you said. You said, "11 Sep. was a very sad thing," but that is a very small part of what you said, and taken in context your message was much different.

You said the September 11th thing was getting out of hand. You implied that there were more horrible things happening that nobody cares about. Please tell us what these things are! Last I heard, 6000 civilians weren't killed last month in Africa.

Your sarcasm implies that it's somehow inappropriate for people to grieve or "hold silent moments." We all get the point that you don't care, but if you're going to make fun of people who are grieving, you can go **** yourself.

See, I was originally posting just to support Aendolin and say that I also thought terrorist options should be included, but your post was totally out of line.

SITS:

The problem here is that you're pretending that the "terrorist actions" originally intended for Civ3 somehow modeled the WTC tragedy. That's not the case at all. The ability to "plant nuclear device" or "poison water supply" doesn't relate to New York in any way. Most people are simply asking for an optional patch to include those items. Aendolin seemed to want some more enhanced terrorist actions, but I'm sure he's not expecting Firaxis to include "suicide hijacking" as an available option when subverting air units.

Nobody is asking Firaxis to make up new terrorist options that model the WTC terrorism. We just want the option to re-enable the options that Firaxis took out.
Old October 29, 2001, 15:31   #22
BitMaster
Settler

Dimension, I think you are doing Wexu wrong. He may have chosen not the best way to describe his thoughts but his first language doesn't appear to be English (isn't he from Finland?), come to speak of that my first language isn't English either.
Of course you could make him a "bad guy" here but I don't think that would do him justice, but of course, that's my personal opinion from just reading his posts in this thread.

Quote:
You said the September 11th thing was getting out of hand. You implied that there were more horrible things happening that nobody cares about. Please tell us what these things are! Last I heard, 6000 civilians weren't killed last month in Africa.
The following text has been copied from the United Nations homepage and it took me about three minutes finding it. Imagine what other stuff I could find if I spent more time browsing and not limiting my search to child victims:
"Over the last decade, 2 million children were killed in conflict situations, over 1 million were made orphans, over 6 million have been seriously injured or permanently disabled and over 10 million have been left with grave psychological trauma. Today, in approximately 50 countries around the world, children are suffering in the midst of armed conflict and in its aftermath. Children are being raped, sexually abused and uprooted from their homes. At the present moment, there are over 20 million children who have been displaced by war within and outside their countries. Children are being deprived of education and health care and left with deep emotional scars or lasting trauma. Approximately 800 children are killed or maimed by landmines every month."

Quote:
Your sarcasm implies that it's somehow inappropriate for people to grieve or "hold silent moments." We all get the point that you don't care, but if you're going to make fun of people who are grieving, you can go **** yourself.
Well, I didn't get that impression from his post. As far as I understood him, he only stated that compared to the suffering that is happening everyday in the world, it is a bit arrogant and selfish to see Sept 11th treated as the worst thing that happened in this world for a long time.
The WTC attack is indeed a great tragedy. But it is just one of many. Just a few years back, single events in Bosnia were probably much worse - probably, because we will never really know the full extent of it.
Of course, the events on Sept 11th affected us more because it was people like you and me being hit, because it was in the center of the media, right before our eyes. Not text-only news stories for 10 seconds or reports of survivors or yet another uncovered mass grave that get a 4 second video snipple.

Edit: Typo
Old October 29, 2001, 15:41   #23
Panzer
Warlord

Elucides:

SITS: Take this into consideration: Let's say you capture a size 4 city from the enemy. Size 4 means 60000 people live there. You move your forces in and the 4 becomes a 3, indicating 30000 civilians.

This means that because of your attack 30000 people died, most of them probably women and children. When your forces captured the town they probably raped and murdered to their heart's content (especially if the capture took place in the older timeperiods) Yet I do not hear you complaining about that.

As for the attack on the WTC: Yes, it was the largest terrorist act ever committed and I myself was extremely shocked and saddened by it. Yet fact is that all over the world thousands of people die every day in wars, of hunger, sickness etc. etc. etc. Yet I don't hear anything about them. And I don't believe anyone has ever held a grand memorial service for civilians killed in Africa in civil wars, nor did the entire world have three minutes of silence for those victims. (Mind you, I feel the memorial services and silence for the victims of the WTC were a very good thing, it's just so sad no one holds them for victims in Africa or Asia )

I feel terrorist acts should be included at least as an option. Whether you want to use them is up to you, and yes, I would be shocked and appalled if there was an option 'fly airplane into skyscraper'....
Old October 29, 2001, 15:48   #24
BitMaster
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Panzer
(Mind you, I feel the memorial services and silence for the victims of the WTC were a very good thing, it's just so sad no one holds them for victims in Africa or Asia )
Just wanted to say I definately agree with that because I'm not sure I strengthened that point in my post too well. However, considering events in Bosnia and so on, and looking over at South America, let's replace "in Africa or Asia" with "in the whole world".
Old October 29, 2001, 16:06   #25
Tventano
Warlord

Again this seems to be a discussion between americans and europeans. Americans are very shocked, because it has been a long time that so many people died on the territory of the USA. The rest of the world is another story. During WWII a few american soldiers died, but the people of Europe and Asia really suffered, that is a difference in perspective. As a european I still think it sick that americans suggest that Hitler could be the german leader in Civ, that it is still allowed to make propagande for the nazis.

Relating to September 11th, I first think of 1973 and not of 2001.
Old October 29, 2001, 16:07   #26
Deathray
Warlord

While many of you are going to call this insensitive and are going to whine, its something that has to be said:

**** happens. While the events of the WTC attack are clearly very sad and we should attempt to make sure it never happens again, it is not the end of the world. I can assure you that there were probably many other events almost as tragic going on around the world at the same time. Thousands of people were dying of starvation, disease and war at that very moment. Far more people have been killed around the world by the USA's own trade sanctions. Far more people die of cigarettes ffs. I'm not trying to devalue the lives of those who died in that attack, but you should remember that there are others whose lives are valued far less. Also, you should all move on. Finally, and most importantly, **** happens and trying to pretend that it doesn't exist doesn't stop **** from happening. Thanks you for your time, and don't bother flaming because I'm not going to bother checking this thread again.
Old October 29, 2001, 16:08   #27
Panzer
Warlord

Quote:
let's replace "in Africa or Asia" with "in the whole world".
That's what I meant BitMaster, I was just giving an example.
Old October 29, 2001, 16:09   #28
Wexu
Warlord

Thanks BitMaster! Yes it's hard sometimes to tell what you're really meaning in foreign language.

Quote:
Please tell us what these things are! Last I heard, 6000 civilians weren't killed last month in Africa. -Dimension
How about 800,000 deaths at 1994 in Rwanda, Africa?

"Beginning on April 6, 1994, and for the next hundred days, up to 800,000 Tutsis were killed by Hutu militia using clubs and machetes, with as many as 10,000 killed each day."
http://www.historyplace.com/worldhis...ide/rwanda.htm

How many baseball matches hold a silent moment for all those people who got massacred?
Old October 29, 2001, 16:25   #29
BitMaster
Settler

Quote:
Originally posted by Tventano
Again this seems to be a discussion between americans and europeans.
That in itself wouldn't be very bad. Humanity would be doing much better if people would spend more time talking and trying to understand each other (even if it's -at least on first sight- opposing views). What I do mind however is, that a lot of Americans seem to take criticism - even if you take great care when stating it - as something practically personal and tend to call you a stupid America basher. That has happened to me quite a few times, even from people who I know rather well...
But on the other side, the main guy I know is Texan, so that probably explains it all
Old October 29, 2001, 16:50   #30
Elucidus
C4WDG United Dungeon DwellersC4WDG StrategaC4WDG Huygen's UnionC4WDG Spamyard TeamC4WDG éirich tuireannC4WDG The GooniesC4WDG People's Army of the LadderC4WDG Calysium
Prince

Local Time: 09:23
Quote:
Originally posted by Tventano
Again this seems to be a discussion between americans and europeans. Americans are very shocked, because it has been a long time that so many people died on the territory of the USA. The rest of the world is another story. During WWII a few american soldiers died, but the people of Europe and Asia really suffered, that is a difference in perspective. As a european I still think it sick that americans suggest that Hitler could be the german leader in Civ, that it is still allowed to make propagande for the nazis.

Relating to September 11th, I first think of 1973 and not of 2001.

Let's not go down the road of American vs. European. I don't think that is it at all. I think it is more of perspective and ignorance. Younger Americans are ignorant of anything that goes on outside of their towns, let alone their country. This is to mean children, teenagers, and young adults like myself. I know from experience I used to be like that. Being that CNN is an American company, they only show things through an American perspective, therefore that is all most Americans know. As for most adults, most being the keyword, I like to think they are better informed using the Internet to get their information, but that is not always the case. The opinion expressed by SITS I believe to be a minority. I also believe it to be a cry for attention, or more specifically pity.

Fellow Americans, don't get me wrong, I am not saying that "Americans are dumb," or anything like that. I am just saying that before getting your panties in an uproar over a non-American who isn't as mournful as you think s/he should be, get the facts about what goes on in the rest of the world. Don’t assume that the world revolves around us and don’t think they wouldn’t be here without us.

Of course now I sound like some psycho-bastard who is bashing his own country. I’ll have all of you know that I am very patriotic and love my country very much. I just don’t like the arrogance and ignorance that American Society seems to let on the Internet (read: children). Like I said, I think all Americans should have to serve 12 or 24 months overseas to learn to appreciate what they have. Thank you for your ear and have a fine day.