Old October 27, 2001, 17:39   #121
BlueHooHoo
Chieftain

Local Time: 15:24
Local Date: October 31, 2010
FABOBA - the Germans are Blue (Prussian Blue!!).

AJBERA - there doesn't seem any way to rename a colony. The name tag above the colony gives its nationality and the type of resource extracted e.g. English Iron

ALBIEDAMNED - I was wrong, there are mountains with snow caps, I spotted them in Greenland!

SNOOPY - had a quick look at the editor, it looks pretty comprehensive, including options for scenario design, but I didn't spot anything for editing graphics.

Quote:
It's little touches like this that I love. This is so damn cool.
I totally agree, touches like this make the game so much fun. I can't give a fair description of the AI as I've not played the game for long enough to really test it. I haven't noticed anything downright dumb, the other civs aren't gullible when you trade with them, and The pesky French struck a hard bargain (fair enough I did try to crush them under my chariot wheels he-he) when I tried to make peace.

The city governors work much better than in Civ2 and are quite customizable.
Old October 27, 2001, 17:45   #122
Inverse Icarus
Emperor

Local Time: 10:24
you lucky (markg censor nazi).
Old October 27, 2001, 18:08   #123
Wittlich
lifer
Call to Power II MultiplayerCivilization III MultiplayerTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersCivilization III PBEMPtWDG Vox ControliCivilization III Democracy GameCiv4 SP Democracy GameC3CDG EuphoricaIron CiversCivilization IV: MultiplayerCivilization IV PBEMC4WDG United Dungeon DwellersDiploGamesC4BtSDG TemplarsPolyCast Team
Deity

Local Time: 08:24
Quote:
Originally posted by UberKruX
you lucky (markg censor nazi).
Well, I'm confused...
Old October 27, 2001, 18:11   #124
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Right, s what about this manual supposedly at Civ Fanatics. I can't FIND it there.

If you would provide a link I would sing your name for a century........
Old October 27, 2001, 18:15   #125
SteveJH
Warlord

Local Time: 07:24
Quote:
Originally posted by Faboba
Right, s what about this manual supposedly at Civ Fanatics. I can't FIND it there.

If you would provide a link I would sing your name for a century........
You would sing his name for a CivII manual?
Old October 27, 2001, 18:30   #126
MxM
Warlord

Local Time: 11:24
And most important question:

DO YOU LIKE THE GAME?

DO YOU FEEL THAT IT COULD BE DONE BETTER?

(sorry, actually 2 questions )
Old October 27, 2001, 18:36   #127
Comrade Tribune
Prince

Local Time: 16:24
Thanks, Blue!

You are being very considerate; if I got CivIII just now, I would probably be incommunicado for a week or so.

Spoil: Canīt really happen. There must be 100s of entries in the Pedia. So it canīt hurt to post a few more. Itīs only 3 days for Americans, but it will Civ take some more time to get over here.

A few Pedia entries I would find especially interesting:

-The Scout
-Intelligence Agency
-More Government types

Old October 27, 2001, 19:35   #128
Mars
Prince

Thanxs a lot for all the info, How in the world can they not put in a graphic customization thing though, i thought they stressed the point about how you could edit the graphics.
Old October 27, 2001, 20:19   #129
Pyrodrew
Prince

Huge World Map
Blue - Can you load up the Civ3 Editor, then load up the Huge World Map & get a screenshot of it (centered on Britain for those who asked) to post here? Any comments are welcome too.

I am VERY interested in the editor. Thanks!
Old October 27, 2001, 22:07   #130
Skanky Burns
Alpha Centauri Democracy GameACDG The Cybernetic ConsciousnessC4DG Team Alpha CentauriansApolytoners Hall of FameACDG3 Spartans

Local Time: 02:24
Local Date: November 1, 2010
Thank You Blue

Only just checked back on this thread now, and found that my request had been granted (first ), as well as another 5 pages of info!!
Excellent
Old October 27, 2001, 22:25   #131
dainbramaged13
Trade Wars / BlackNova Traders
King

Local Time: 11:24
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

My questions : what scenarios are included in the game?

also, are you using alt-tab to play the game and post here? is it alt-tab friendly? thanks!
Old October 27, 2001, 22:34   #132
Grumbold
Emperor

On a separate thread Dan confirmed a while ago that nations start with specific colours but that all of them could be configured differently if you wanted to do that. I don't recall a definintive answer on whether other parts of the interface could have their font colours changed.
Old October 27, 2001, 23:08   #133
The Negotiator
Chieftain

I was wondering when looking at the older screenshots why there isn't much irrigation but OFCOURSE irrigation need fresh water not salt water.
Old October 27, 2001, 23:43   #134
adaMada
Civilization III Democracy GameTrade Wars / BlackNova TradersPtWDG RoleplayRise of Nations MultiplayerInterSite Democracy Game: Apolyton Team
King

Quote:
Originally posted by dainbramaged13
THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!!

My questions : what scenarios are included in the game?

also, are you using alt-tab to play the game and post here? is it alt-tab friendly? thanks!
first, thanks to Blue for this wonderful resource! some of us just can't wait .

secondly, let me say that I'd also like to know the answers to dainbramaged's questions, but I'd like to add one thing on about the alt-tab. Does Civ 3 allow other application's to 'steal' focus? for example, in starcraft, if you get an instant message on AIM, you can hear it beep, and if it's a new message, starcraft is minimized and aim 'steals' the focus and pops up. Do you know if Civ 3 allows this kind of system (i'd only use it for instant messanging anyway, so...). Also, is there a way to quit the game (or to switch programs) while the other civs are moving? I'm sure there is, but that drove me CRAZY in Civ 2.

Those are just my own personal curiosity techie questions. Thanks in advance -- either way, three days just isn't that long to wait :-D.

-- adaMada
Old October 28, 2001, 00:15   #135
Gintautas
Settler

Quote:
http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2reference.shtml
Old October 28, 2001, 00:23   #136
CobraA1
Chieftain

Location: North of the Arctic Circle, south of Canada; Minnesota, USA
Quote:
Originally posted by adaMada

Does Civ 3 allow other application's to 'steal' focus? for example, in starcraft, if you get an instant message on AIM, you can hear it beep, and if it's a new message, starcraft is minimized and aim 'steals' the focus and pops up. Do you know if Civ 3 allows this kind of system (i'd only use it for instant messanging anyway, so...). Also, is there a way to quit the game (or to switch programs) while the other civs are moving? I'm sure there is, but that drove me CRAZY in Civ 2.

-- adaMada
Ask the Civ Team has already answered that:

Quote:
Q How will music be handled in Civ III? Will it be Redbook, MP3 or perhaps something else entirely? By the way, I found the "authentic" music in CTP very, VERY annoying within a short period. I'm personally hoping for a more ambient, thematic sound like Civ II had with as many unique tracks as possible. Also, if the audio is not in Redbook then I hope they'll be an option to add your own MP3s. Whenever negotiations broke down in Civ II, slipping the ol' Metallica into the CD-ROM seemed to add to the experience.

Thanks for keeping the Civ machine on track!

A We have a great deal more music in Civ III than in any previous Civilization. We have a very cool system that "builds" or layers the background music as you progress in the game. We have five different "mixes" that represent the five major cultural groupings of the Civs in the game (European, North American, Middle Eastern, Greco-Roman, and Asian). These cycle continuously while you play, and will change throughout the course of the game.

Another area that has new music is diplomacy sessions; there are both aggressive and passive tracks for each culture grouping that play depending on the mood of the Civ who you are haggling with, and they are a lot of fun. We've also added a lot of ambient sounds that add to the experience.

As always, you can choose to turn the music and sounds off, if you'd rather listen to your own music while you play. All the music in the game is stored in MP3 format.
I think Dan also addressed the issue in another thread. The game is alt-tab friendly.
Old October 28, 2001, 04:20   #137
Faboba
King

Location: Scotland. I can't be more specific else they'll find me.
Quote:
Originally posted by Gintautas

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ2reference.shtml
I has erroniously assumed he meant something useful...... like the Civ 3 manual.

Blue - I'd like to concur with my fellows here - one more question then we'll leave you alone.

What scenarios are in it? ( does is just mean maps when it says scenarios? )
Old October 28, 2001, 06:27   #138
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:24
Just woke up, turned PC on and read the whole page 3. Damn, absolutely amazing. Disease, hey! I wanted this, to be sure. The game already exceeds all my expectations, and thank you Blue. This is absolutely the best Civ 3 thread there ever was.
Old October 28, 2001, 08:58   #139
BlueHooHoo
Chieftain

DAINBRAMAGED13 - there are no actual scenarios, in the full review copy I have, I suspect this will not change for the final retail, but am not 100% sure. There are two Earth maps and the way the front-end works leads me to suspect that scenarios will be very easy to add.

Quote:
Does Civ 3 allow other application's to 'steal' focus? for example, in starcraft, if you get an instant message on AIM, you can hear it beep, and if it's a new message, starcraft is minimized and aim 'steals' the focus and pops up. Do you know if Civ 3 allows this kind of system (i'd only use it for instant messanging anyway, so...). Also, is there a way to quit the game (or to switch programs) while the other civs are moving? I'm sure there is, but that drove me CRAZY in Civ 2.
I'm using Win XP and ALT-TAB does work well, I used this method to get the screen grabs. Instant messaging and other programs can (and do) pop up if you want them to. It looks like you do have to watch the other civs completing there entire moves (aaarrghh) the ESC key and option buttons are disabled whilst they run around. You can ALT-TAB at any time though.

MXM - the game is good, personally I was a disappointed when CTP came out and a little bit with SMAC. So far I've really enjoyed Civ3. Everyone has different likes and dis-likes but I reckon the Firaxis team has done an excellent job.
Old October 28, 2001, 09:00   #140
BlueHooHoo
Chieftain

Some people wanted more government type info. Hope this is OK.
Old October 28, 2001, 09:01   #141
Executor
Warlord

Location: of Terra Prime, homeworld of the Terran Star Empire
Blue: Could you post a screenshot of the government editor screen? Please?
Old October 28, 2001, 09:04   #142
Solver
lifer
Civilization IV CreatorsAge of Nations TeamApolytoners Hall of FamePolyCast TeamBtS Tri-LeagueThe Courts of Candle'BreC4WDG Team Apolyton
Deity

Local Time: 18:24
Blue, can you please post a list of tasks Wokers can perform and, perhaps, how much does it take each? Maybe it's under the civilopedia entry for Worker.
Old October 28, 2001, 09:05   #143
korn469
Emperor

BlueHooHoo can i have another?
BlueHooHoo thanks for all of the info! could you please post the government summaries for republic, democracy, despotism, and anarchy also?

one more question...does civ3 have M.A.D. in it?
Old October 28, 2001, 09:08   #144
albiedamned
Rise of Nations Multiplayer
Prince

Good morning (or I guess for you afternoon), Blue! Great to see you back and posting again. You've given us monarchy and communism. I'd like to request screenshots for Republic, Democracy, and Despotism. Thanks!
Old October 28, 2001, 09:24   #145
BlueHooHoo
Chieftain

EXECUTOR - I'm not sure how to use the Editor fully, so I don't know where the government ed screen is!

SOLVER - worker time taken depends on the terrain type they are on and the job they are doing. I can't find a definitive list of all the combinations.

KORN469 - M.A.D. not thinking of starting a little Nuclear war are you? . There isn't any specific MAD but using a nuke has a tremendous negative effect on world opinion, same as Civ2 I suppose.
Old October 28, 2001, 09:28   #146
korn469
Emperor

BlueHooHoo

ok so ICBMs can hit anywhere on the map and the only real deterance is that the other guys don't like you (and global warming too)

well how powerful are nukes? how much does a tactical nuke or an ICBM decrease a city's population? or does it just destroy the city outright?
Old October 28, 2001, 09:36   #147
Mars
Prince

Arrrgh railroads still provide unlimited movement

and i'd be interested in what happens with nukes as well
Old October 28, 2001, 09:38   #148
Jason Beaudoin
Prince

BlueHooHoo:

In another thead, it indicates that the "strategy guides" are saying that the Manhattan Project is a Great Wonder. Is this true? I thought it was a minor wonder?
Old October 28, 2001, 10:49   #149
Roman
King

Excellent thread

I hope you are wrong about the absence of scenarios
Old October 28, 2001, 10:54   #150
Comrade Tribune
Prince